PDA

View Full Version : Balancing Arms

George
4th February 2002, 06:17
First post, going to sound like an idiot here or mildly intellegent.

All right, I have no official training, found a Dojo four hours from my hometown, hoping to join in. But I've been "practicing" Simple slashes, using a Kendo Bamboo Shinai practice sword.

Now, having no formal training, and essentially just going off what information I've found online (check my local bookstore this weekend and they had nothing for begineers.) So all my "regiment" consists of are overhead slashes, horizontal slashes, and sometimes a thrust.

Now I do this with both hands, then with my right only, then with left, I notice a drastic difference between my right and left in terms of control. So I have been trying to practice more with my left arm then right.

However, I am afraid I might unbalance my left over my right. Besides just practicing with the shinai, I've been doing a little weight training for my left arm, is there anything else I can do to gain the control/strength in my left arm as I do my right?

Oh, and just in case it is needed, yes, I am right handed.

Ermac6
4th February 2002, 20:46
George,

Keep on practicing with your left arm with shinai. Make its the dominate hand when swinging, but keep your right hand on the handle for a guide and to help control. Also try those grip things that help make your hand stronger for grip, that might help as well. When i practice with bokken (sp?) I usually use my right hand as dominate and let my left hand be a guide to as how far the sword goes through the target, etc. (Your not the only one that has problems using their left hand for sword training :) ). Anyway, keep on practicing and making that hand stronger.

Brent Leach

PS If you can find a heavy bag, use that as well to make your left hand stronger (meaning punch it a lot with that hand).

George
4th February 2002, 21:43
Thanks, the punching bag isn't a bad idea. A friend mentioned to me that I should find the wrist/ankle weights to use.

I think I might shop around, find a nice sized one, maybe 2 lbs or so, something to wear around when not working out, so that way it builds it up for when I do practice.

Does anyone have any experience with them? Are they effective/worth the cash? Or is it jsut more effective to work with handweights.

luihu
5th February 2002, 14:52
Wrist and ankle weights aren't such a good idea. Although they help you to gain strenght, they have this bad tendency to cause damage to your joints (elbows, knees and back). But hey, it is everyones own decision.

Have fun with your training!
József Pap