PDA

View Full Version : Iaido & knees

BradfordE
25th July 2000, 18:19
I have been training in Iaido for over 2 years & in the past year or so, I periodically experience a consistent 'popping' in my knees, especially when going into seiza. Is this something common or is this something I should go get looked at by a physician?

Best Regards

Bradford Pomeroy

hyaku
25th July 2000, 23:07
Originally posted by BradfordE
I have been training in Iaido for over 2 years & in the past year or so, I periodically experience a consistent 'popping' in my knees, especially when going into seiza. Is this something common or is this something I should go get looked at by a physician?

Best Regards

Bradford Pomeroy
You have my sympathy. Best go and see that osteopath or as Mr Bergstrom says a chiropractor. I had more success with the latter when it comes to cure but then again you need to determine if the joint has too much fluid or has dried out.

Problem is what will you do it the future? Doing Iai basics demands that we use the seiza position to educate the hips (or so they say). It's an unbalaced body action so there is not easy way round it. I'm off to the dojo/work now to do a few hours before breakfast and have just put my supporters in a bag. Not the thick padded ones. The latex foam ones they use for sports. Not as thick, but they give you far more all round support.

No so much who is the best at Iai but who's knees last out the longest?

Regards Hyakutake Colin

http://www.bunbun.ne.jp/~sword

Gil Gillespie
26th July 2000, 00:54
Hi Bradford

I'm a long rock toss away in Polk County & this speaks to my training reality. In 97 I had my R knee 'scoped and thought I would never again sit in seiza. I had been doing iaido since 1990 so the thought crushed me. I did standing katas to maintain but in my heart I knew the root of iai is nukitsuke from seiza.

In 1999 I returned to my wife's hometown Shizuoka City in Japan and reconnected with the Yoseikan Budo folks I had trained with 9 years ago. Forsaking my hakama (they don't use them; their aikido is very judo-based) I found myself crouching then settling deeper into uncomfortable seiza bc hey! this is Japan; I can't be a sissy. My own dojo never made me feel that way. But I pushed my own limits because of that exposure.

Point being I have gradually returned not only to seiza but also tatehiza in my MJERI training. I can sit in seiza; I just can't stay there. My knees pop, but there is no pain. Part of my warmup before training is to slowly settle into seiza. At first my body hovers uncomfortably above my ankles. I pantomime the draw, rising and stepping forward with my R leg, checking proper angle and structure. I do this several times, performing hakama sabaki w my R leg as I return to seiza. Gradually, no rush here, I settle until I am seated on my ankles. It is then time to begin training.

I echo the above post that if there is no pain ignore the popping, but acknowledge that there is indeed loose cartilage in your knee and warm up slowly and gradually before training.

BradfordE
27th July 2000, 02:47
Thank you kindly for your replies. I am definitely not experiencing any 'pain' when the knees pop, but I am still going to get them looked at by either a chiropracter or osteopath as suggested by Mr. Colin & Mr. Bergstrom. The use of the latex/foam supports was also a good idea. Thanks also to my neighbor Mr. Gillespi who suggested a slow, gradual warm up before training.

Best Regards

Bradford Pomeroy