PDA

View Full Version : Hung Gar

Dark_Samurai
10th February 2002, 14:17
What do you guys think about Hung Gar (animal kungfu)?

:smokin:

Martin Leroy D
-"I do not fear the 10000 kicks you have practiced once; I fear the one kick you have practiced 10000 times."

fifthchamber
25th February 2002, 13:56
Hi,
I started training in Steelwire Mantis boxing from a man that had trained with Sifu Leung (I think).
From there I moved more into Wing Chun and Tai Chi Chuan whic I found to be a very balanced mix of training in general..I had a chance to see three Hung Gar practitioners at an expo tht I visited when training in Tai Chi and was very impressed by the moves..although they did look a 'little' bit more influenced by Wushu performances I had seen...Very long, low stances and extended kicks in the forms that I managed to see..I believe that they were 2 of the 5 animals forms that Hung Gar teaches..Easily could be wrong here though..Good for stretching and speed conditioning but check to see the instructor first and how it is taught near you...Unless you want the Wushu..Great aerobic work there I think...
Abayo.

Finny
25th February 2002, 17:58
hardly a budo related question but anyways...
Hung Gar and wushu are two entirely separate entities, as we are discussing them. Wushu is generally used to describe the modern performance art style kung fu forms, whilst Hung Gar is an old style, i believe founded by a shaolin monk expert in the fu jow style (tiger claw). Strong deep stances, yes; strong punches, lots of chi development work etc.

MarkF
26th February 2002, 07:23
You're right, it isn't a Japanese budo related question, and if more interest is shown, it will probably be moved to the lounge since we do not have a Chinese MA forum, but...

Finny, et alia,

Just a friendly reminder of the rule concerning nicknames. Namely, you can have an username you wish (within certain boundries) but you must sign your full name to each of your posts. The signature feature can be set to do this automatically, or you may sign manually each and every post.

Bottom line: Forum Rules:
Please sign your posts with your full name.
Profanity will not be tolerated.
Blatant commercial advertising is not allowed.
Treat your fellow E-Budo members with respect.

These are the only stated rules of membership. People are more likely to open up to a real name than to a nick.:)

Again, it is only a friendly...notice, etc.:wave:

Mark

doaho
26th February 2002, 22:40
hardly a budo related question but anyways...
Hung Gar and wushu are two entirely separate entities, as we are discussing them. Wushu is generally used to describe the modern performance art style kung fu forms, whilst Hung Gar is an old style, i believe founded by a shaolin monk expert in the fu jow style (tiger claw). Strong deep stances, yes; strong punches, lots of chi development work etc.

I think your definition of terms is a bit inaccurate...