PDA

View Full Version : Proteins and their use in the body

thumpanddump
11th February 2002, 01:23
Dear members,

Following on from the thread 'Bruises and Vitamins', I wanted to put a question to you guys.

People take protein powders to boost growth / regeneration in muscles :
Is the protein used in regenerating muscles the same protein which is used in assisting the healing of soft tissue damage like bruising?? ie Does a protein drink or a steak help the healing of a bruise?? Which is more important, the protein or the nutrients which enduce healing?? One without the other doesn't work right??

G Ricard

Shogun
12th February 2002, 18:25
Mr G,

I've been doing some reading on this, (unfortunately my memory of facts and figures elludes me)but the taking of protein in a shake to supplement you diet is a good thing.Tomorrow it may be frowned upon but for today we're ok:)
I understand that we basically get far less protein,even as part of a healthy balanced diet than we should do,particulalrly as taxed as we are as martial artists.As far as helping allieviate bruising goes,i cannot say - although i've read that the condition of skin is generally improved by taking protein (as in acne or other similar conditions).
One thing of importance, it must "be clean".This is in regard to any additives,colourants or preservatives that may be included.Look for a simple whey protein branched chain amino acid mixture.Its totally natural and it hepls your achievments in strengh a great deal.Its also cheap and easily absorbed when mixed with water or skimmed cow juice.Most of them will instruct you to take 2 servings daily but one is plenty and will give you that little boost muscularly.Works for me anyway.
Sorry i couldn't comment more specifically about bruising though:)

Bob Steinkraus
19th February 2002, 17:38
thumpanddump asked:
People take protein powders to boost growth / regeneration in muscles :Is the protein used in regenerating muscles the same protein which is used in assisting the healing of soft tissue damage like bruising?? ie Does a protein drink or a steak help the healing of a bruise?? Which is more important, the protein or the nutrients which enduce healing?? One without the other doesn't work right??
There are lotsof different kinds of proteins, in your food and in your body. Proteins are broken down in the digestive tract into amino acids, which are then recombined by the body into the proteins that build other tissues like muscle. There are twenty amino acids, of which eight are essential, in that they cannot be assembled from other aminos by the body. Protein metabolism proceeds under the "all-or-nothing" principle, in that the body will build a complete protein or none.

Most protein supplementation is a waste of money. The average Western diet contains roughly twice as much protein as is necessary, and hard training raises protein requirements in the 20-30% range, not 200%. Protein shakes and powders are very expensive by unit of utilizable protein. You would do better to eat combinations of foods like rice and beans, peanuts and wheat, or milk and practically anything. Eggs are an excellent source of protein. If you absolutely must have some kind of a protein shake, try adding non-fat dry milk powder. Lots of protein, no fat.

Over-eating protein does not assist in healing. As long as you are not protein-deficient to begin with, eating more of something you don't need doesn't help. A bruise is a subcutaneous blood spill caused by damage to the walls of a blood vessel. The body then re-absorbs the blood, and heals the walls of the damaged blood vessel. Protein is certainly involved, but unless you are significantly protein-deficient in the first place, eating extra protein does not cause you to heal faster.

People who are severely burned often receive dietary supplementation of protein and calories (a naso-gastric tube pumping you full of Sustagen), but this is much different from the ordinary bumps and bruises of martial arts training. Bodybuilders who eat huge amounts of protein to get big generally do so because they are taking in more calories than they burn up. This is inefficient, as carbohydrates are a more easily digested form of calories.

Protein is a nutrient. It is what is called a "macro-nutrient", along with carbohydrates, fats, and water. Vitamins and minerals are "micro-nutrients", since the amounts involved for good health are so much smaller.

A reasonable diet should be roughly 10-15% fat, 20% protein, and 65-70% carbohydrate. Get your nutrients from food, not pills. If you choose to go overboard with protein, drink plenty of water, to allow your kidneys to flush the excess nitrogen from your system.

And keep in mind that most of the people who advise you to take all kinds of pills and powders just happen to have those pills and powders for sale. Caveat emptor.

Regards,
Bob Steinkraus