PDA

View Full Version : practice dummies

charlesl
13th February 2002, 17:35
Uh, not to sure how serious this question is, but...

I'm an EE and my friend/co-student is an ME. Every once in a while we kind of jokingly bring up the plausibility of creating a dummy of some kind to practice honte, gyakute, and hikiotoshi on, for those times you have the time and gumption to practice, but no one to practice on (can you believe that my wife will just absolutely not stand in as uchidachi for me? I just don't understand..., but please, no "get a new wife" proverbs, thanks). Striking at empty air is, well, unfulfilling.

So has anybody ever come up with something to strike at that would simulate what we do in kihon, striking through the sword? Any ideas for such a device? We've gone so far as to consider what kinds of springs could be used, and possible methods of measuring a successful strike, how the system would react, and how it would be re-initialized, but no strong workable ideas. Maybe we should discuss it when we're not at the bar.

Hikiotoshi has been a constant source of frustration (damn that guy who recommended I train in order to work out stress), and I just don't feel solo practice is making an improvement.

-Charles

ps. Does anybody besides my friend and me fantasize about having the holodeck from ST:TNG to train in? Bwahahahahahaaaa...

Tony Peters
13th February 2002, 20:58
I have often thought of a boken on some sort of spring type stand so that I could practice makiotoshi as well as hikiotoshi. I'm luckier than you in that my wife will stand in for me as a bokken dummy (if I ask nice enough). If you build it I'd be interested in it.

Jack B
13th February 2002, 23:09
You could loan him your wife...

:look:

Jack Bieler
Parts Unknown

Tony Peters
13th February 2002, 23:22
My wife has worked with Charles and he can't ask her "nice" enough :D

charlesl
14th February 2002, 01:45
Tony Peters wrote:
My wife has worked with Charles and he can't ask her "nice" enough

Let's be careful here. Taken out of context, that might imply I'm not the kind-hearted, patient, easy going guy that I know myself to be.

-Charles

Tony Peters
14th February 2002, 05:06
Originally posted by charlesl
Tony Peters wrote:
My wife has worked with Charles and he can't ask her "nice" enough

Let's be careful here. Taken out of context, that might imply I'm not the kind-hearted, patient, easy going guy that I know myself to be.

-Charles

Put another way I have to bribe her to practice with me...you can't pay those bribes:D ...If I hear that you have:shot:

You patient????the rest yes...then again you are patient with my poor technique

charlesl
16th February 2002, 17:23
... no real input except from the peanut gallery, so I'm going to assume most people think this is just another crack-pot idea, and am either going to just drop it or move it into darkness and secrecy, just like a ninja.

-Charles

yamamatsuryu
17th February 2002, 03:24
One thing that Yasuda Sensei showed me last time he was here is using an old tire for striking practice. He called it something (I cannot remember off the top of my head), but we would do it for (What seemed like) Hours. We primarially used this with Bokuto, but I'm (fairly) certain that you can use a Jo with it as well.

Jared Albrecht