PDA

View Full Version : Furibo, Kanabo, and Tetsubo?

the Khazar Kid
22nd February 2002, 18:49
I have heard these are other kinds of Japanese clubs and sticks shod with metal. What is the difference between these weapons?

Jesse Peters

Richard Elias
24th February 2002, 16:30
Jesse,

Furibo is a "heavy training club used in Jikishinkage-ryu to develop proper technique and stamina".

Testubo is an iron or iron reinforced club, often studded sometimes spiked.

As far as I can figure Kanabo may be another term for a Testubo. I'll have to do a little more research when I get off work. The only reference I could find on the net was from a role-playing game, but it sited its information from an arms and armour book I have at home.

Richard Elias
25th February 2002, 02:58
From what I've been able to find (I am by no means an authority) the Tetsubo and Kanabo are about the same. The only distinctions are that the Kanabo is could be all wood or iron and was often huge, whereas I believe the Testubo virtually always had metal in its construction, thus the tetsu (iron) reference.

But I could be wrong.

Daniel Lee
25th February 2002, 04:16
Hi Guys,

I think another thing the term 'tetsubo' can be used for are the palm sticks attached to rings also known as 'tessun' or 'suntetsu'. I guess in this context the concept of the length of the 'bo' is pretty loose!

Daniel Lee

kobodaichi52
8th January 2011, 01:17
Hello everybody, I'm new to this site. I look forward to exchanging info with all of you.
A kanabo is a large club covered with spikes. It can be as big or bigger than a baseball bat. In Japan there is a popular phrase "Oni ni kanabo". In Shinto mythology the Oni is a horned demon with fire for hair. Originally it was considered an evil, mischeiveous imp who was dangerous to humans. However, over the centuries it has come to represent a guardian of Buddhist doctrine. "Oni ni kanabo" means " Oni with an iron club". When this phrase is used to describe a person, it implies that he/she is a person of indomitable will, and strength, definitely not to be messed with. An image of an "oni ni kanabo" is often used as a menuki ornament on the tsuba of a japanese sword
KOBODAICHI52