PDA

View Full Version : the successor of So Doshin?

shugyosha
25th February 2002, 15:27
one thing i wonder is, who is the succesor of Shorinji kenpo
after So Doshin?
So yuki asumed the name of So Doshin2 but, she is not teching
shorinji kenpo, and only chairwoman.
So i wonder who is the successor now, anyone have an idea?

Anders Pettersson
22nd June 2002, 17:04
_||_
Gassho.

Long time since this question was posted, but I will try and give a short answer.

So Yuuki is the successor to her father as leader of Shorinji Kempo.

If you look at other Budo such as Judo and Kendo, they don't have any official technical leader as far as I know. They have a lot of qualified instructors and do not have to rely on one instructor.

Same in Shorinji Kempo, So Yuuki is the leader of the organisation, and for technical things we have many Hombu staff together with senior instructors.

/Anders

shugyosha
22nd June 2002, 18:58
So Yuki is the successor of Shorinji kempo
so if i understand well that mean that the physical part of shorinji kenpo is not essencial to be part of the shorinji kenpo organisation

maybe So doshin wanted to point out that the philosophy is more important, or is this just to transmit father to son in the classical way.

Is so Yuki the leader of kongo zen too?
cheers

shugyosha
22nd June 2002, 19:03
i meant above Mr.Yoshiaka Suzuki for the Kongozen Souhonzan Shorinji

Anders Pettersson
22nd June 2002, 20:03
_||_
Gassho.

I think it is necessary to describe the current organisation of Shorinjikempo since it somewhat changed in November 2000 (if I am correct).
This can be seen (Japanese only) on this page: http://www.shorinjikempo.or.jp/group/index.htm
I will try and do a quick explanation, but since my Japanese reading ability is far from good I appreciate corrections.

Shorinjikempo consist of four parts and these parts are united in something called Shorinjikempo group renkei kyougikai [少林寺拳法グループ連携協議会] and is often abbreviated as "Shorinjikempo group".
The leader of this is So Yuuki, daughter of Kaiso (founder) So Doshin, her title for this position is Sosai [総裁] which means president.

The four sub-parts of the Shorinji Kempo group are:
Shukyō Hōjin Kongō Zen Sōhonzan Shōrinji [宗教法人 金剛禅総本山少林寺]
The head of this part is Suzuki-sensei and his title is Daihyō [代表], which means something like representative.
Zaidan Hōjin Shōrinji Kempō Renmei [財団法人少林寺拳法連盟], which is the Shorinji Kempo Federation (in Japan). This is lead by Arai-sensei who is Kaichō [会長] yet another Japanese word for president.
Zenrin Gakuen, Gakkō Hōjin Nihon Shōrinji Budō Senmon Gakkō [禅林学園 学校法人日本少林寺武道専門学校], this is know to most kenshi as Busen. The school is headed by Yamazaki-sensei. Actually Yamazaki-sensei is Kōchō [校長] principal/headmaster of the Nihon Budo Senmon Gakko and So Yuuki is the Riji-cho [理事長] Board chairman of the Zenrin Gakuen. (To explain what separates the Zenrin Gakuen and Busen parts is above my knowledge of Japanese).
Shōrinji kempō Sekai Rengō [少林寺拳法世界連合], which in English would be World Shorinji Kempo Organization, abbreviated as WSKO. This part is headed by So Yuuki (her title in WSKO is Kaicho/President) and Arai-sensei is the Secretary-General. So Takashi (husband of So Yuuki) is the Assistant Secretary-General of WSKO.

I hope this explains some of your questions.
And if I have written anything wrong I have to blame it on my bad Japanese.

/Anders

I have edited a few typos.

John McCollum
22nd June 2002, 23:05
Gassho Anders,

Thank you very much for explaining the various parts of the "Shorinji Kempo Group". It has long been a source of mystery to me. One quick question?

I wasn't even aware of the existence of the Shukyou hojin Kongo Zen Sohonzan Shorinji...could you explain the function of this group?

Arigato Gozaimashita!

Anders Pettersson
5th July 2002, 20:13
Originally posted by John McCollum
I wasn't even aware of the existence of the Shukyou hojin Kongo Zen Sohonzan Shorinji...could you explain the function of this group?
Gassho.

Shukyou hojin means "religious organization" and the "Shukyou hojin Kongo Zen Sohonzan Shorinji" is the section of our organisation that administers the religious part. All "Doin" are members of the Shukyou hojin and the "Shibu" are only part of the Shorinjikempo renmei.

I hope this helps.

/Anders

kongozen
22nd August 2008, 09:48
1. Shukyou hojin Kongo Zen Sohonzan Shorinji
This Organization Deals with the Philosophy called KongoZen. It summarizes every activity in toto. Kongo Zen as a Shugyo has two parts: Chinkon Gyo and Ekkin Gyo. This organization means the whole as a substance and the mother of all seemingly many divisions. The divisions are made for better administration purpose only and not to divide Kongo Zen in any form at any point of time.
2. Zenrin Gakuen, Gakkou hojin Nihon Shorinji Budo Senmon Gakko
The Headquarters is actually a form of Temple, similar to Shaolin Temple. The very name gives the feal of the head quarters - SHO.RIN.JI. At Hombu, you will also find a Tower which is based on a Pagoda or Temple tower, similar to the ones in India and China. The Zenrin Gakuen school has a limited number of kenshis about 21 people. They are called as 'Buddhara' and live a very spiritual life. The ancient tradition which started in India and spilt over to China, is still maintained until this date at Hombu. This Zenrin Gakuin trains the future kenshis who will continue the tradition for time immemorial.
3. Zaidan hojin Shorinjikempo renmei
For Administrative purpose to govern Kongo Zen Shorinji throughout 'JAPAN'. Japan alone, excluding Hombu, has more than 2000 dojos.
4. Shorinjikempo Sekai rengo (WSKO)
For Administrative purpose to govern Kongo Zen Shorinji Globally. Over 60yrs, this Kongo Zen Shorinji has spread to over 32 countries, excluding Japan.

kongozen
22nd August 2008, 09:54
Why Kancho Yuuki So does not train?

Yuuki San was the only child of Nakano Michiomi (Doshin So's real name). Doshin So loved the child very much and even started training her. During her childhood, she started to grow tall and the legs could not hold her body weight enough. It was a kind of disorder if you can call it. If you are to meet her you can see the long legs like stilts. She now walks steadily though, without any issues. However, it was not strong enough to support her venture into Shorinji Kempo. So, if she is not practicing, it is because she could not and not she will not. Yuuki San's mother survives till date.

Anders Pettersson
22nd August 2008, 13:27
1. Shukyou hojin Kongo Zen Sohonzan Shorinji
This Organization Deals with the Philosophy called KongoZen. It summarizes every activity in toto. Kongo Zen as a Shugyo has two parts: Chinkon Gyo and Ekkin Gyo. This organization means the whole as a substance and the mother of all seemingly many divisions. The divisions are made for better administration purpose only and not to divide Kongo Zen in any form at any point of time.
2. Zenrin Gakuen, Gakkou hojin Nihon Shorinji Budo Senmon Gakko
The Headquarters is actually a form of Temple, similar to Shaolin Temple. The very name gives the feal of the head quarters - SHO.RIN.JI. At Hombu, you will also find a Tower which is based on a Pagoda or Temple tower, similar to the ones in India and China. The Zenrin Gakuen school has a limited number of kenshis about 21 people. They are called as 'Buddhara' and live a very spiritual life. The ancient tradition which started in India and spilt over to China, is still maintained until this date at Hombu. This Zenrin Gakuin trains the future kenshis who will continue the tradition for time immemorial.
3. Zaidan hojin Shorinjikempo renmei
For Administrative purpose to govern Kongo Zen Shorinji throughout 'JAPAN'. Japan alone, excluding Hombu, has more than 2000 dojos.
4. Shorinjikempo Sekai rengo (WSKO)
For Administrative purpose to govern Kongo Zen Shorinji Globally. Over 60yrs, this Kongo Zen Shorinji has spread to over 32 countries, excluding Japan.

You surely dig up some old stuff.

But Maxwell, please don't post things and state them as facts if you are not sure they are correct.
Several thing in your abouve post is wrong.

Please all read here (http://www.shorinjikempo.or.jp/group/index.html) as a more correct information on the different parts of the Shorinji Kempo group. (Sorry only Japanese now, but use google translate and you will get most of it.)

Also note that since my post above (posted in 2002) we have also got the addition of the SHORINJI KEMPO UNITY、as well as there have been some changes to some organisations names etc.

Some details. There are almost 3000 branches in Japan, they all belong to the Zaidan Houjin ShorinjiKempo Renmei [財団法人 少林寺拳法連盟], this is also the part of our organisation that is the member of Nippon Budo Kyogikai (http://www.nipponbudokan.or.jp/shinkoujigyou/kankeidantai_01.html) [日本武道協議会].

About two thirds of the branches (shibu) are also doin and belng to the Kongo Zen Sohonzan Shorinji, which is a Shukyo houjin (religous organisation).

As for the Zenrin Gakuen (formerly known as Nihon Shorinji Budo Senmon gakko) it has changed a loit since your teacher Kirtie attended many years ago.
Today it has way over 21 students. It also has a high school program and well over 100 students.

And you should not say that WSKO adminstrate "Kongo Zen Shorinji", actually, as it is today WSKO don't ave any Kongo Zen (as member of the soseki it makes me sad, but this is how it is rigt now).
WSKO handles all Shorinji Kempo shibu (branches outside of Japan).
Theres ia nothin called "Kongo Zen Shorinji".
I found what I guess is your homepage: www.geocities.com/kongozenchennai/
You should really make sure that it follows the guidelines set up by Shorinji Kempo Hombu. You should have recieved information from WSKO on how to do that.

/Anders

Anders Pettersson
22nd August 2008, 13:53

Yuuki San was the only child of Nakano Michiomi (Doshin So's real name). Doshin So loved the child very much and even started training her. During her childhood, she started to grow tall and the legs could not hold her body weight enough. It was a kind of disorder if you can call it. If you are to meet her you can see the long legs like stilts. She now walks steadily though, without any issues. However, it was not strong enough to support her venture into Shorinji Kempo. So, if she is not practicing, it is because she could not and not she will not. Yuuki San's mother survives till date.

Again Maxwell, this is not correct.

Kaiso So Doshin was married three times, he had two daugters in his first marriage. No children in the second, and one daughter in the third marriage.

Sō Dōshin married Takada Toyoko. His first daughter, Nakano Tomiko, was born on the 10th of January 1935, and his second daughter, Nakano Michiko, was born on the 10th of October 1937. It seems clear that he met Toyoko prior to March 1934, but his marriage wasn’t registered until the 28th of February 1935.
Whilst in Manchuria he met Manabe Michiyo in a train and a year later started living together. Then on the 23rd of January 1941 he divorced Toyoko. He married Michiyo on the 10th of August 1943. In 1956 he divorced Michiyo by mutual consent. They had had no children. Then on the 20th of January 1957 he married Harada Emiko and a daughter, Nakano Yūki was born on the 1st of November 1957.

So Yuuki practiced Shorinji Kempo as a child, but due to a knee injury she stopped.

/Anders

kongozen
22nd August 2008, 19:47
Dear Sensei Anders,
Thank you so much for the information and I am glad you know Sensei Kirtie. Yes I am aware of the High School which is a regular day school. However, the students belonging to the high school do not stay at Hombu doin and receive training like the Zenrin Gakuin does. I was at Hombu and got these facts first hand.

With regards to Yuuki So, I did not want to bring up the personal history of Doshin So and so stuck only to Yuuki So and it is true that Yuuki So was the only child in that marriage and none other. I did not bring up marriages of Doshin So, as that was not the point of discussion. The discussion was on Yuuki So and why she is not training. Please confirm clear and noted.

Also, if you was a batch mate during my Sensei Kirtie times at Hombu during 1982 and 1988, please let me know. I would love to touch base with Sensei Kirties friends at Hombu.

doomo arigato. gambate kudasai.

kongozen
22nd August 2008, 19:49
Gassho, with regards to the website, kindly ignore the geocities one which was created by freshers of IT industry. Please look forward to the official one coming up on our official domain, www.kongozen.org.
Kesshu

Ade
22nd August 2008, 23:44
Yuuki San was the only child of Nakano Michiomi (Doshin So's real name)....Dear Sensei Anders, Thank you so much for the information and I am glad you know Sensei Kirtie.

Dear Max

Gassho

You are starting to develop a nasty habit of twisting what you and other people have said.

Two examples are from this thread above.

I smell troll - or perhaps my nose is off?

Please prove me wrong, I've looked at you on Google and on here you just don't seem right.

Kesshu

Tripitaka of AA
23rd August 2008, 04:23
I am reminded of a past member called "Tsuda Misao" who raised some interesting threads a few years ago. His online persona was difficult to fathom and it proved to be a barrier to communication.

Maxwell, perhaps you should read this introductions thread (http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21511), which is now a few years old. It might help, if you knew a little about us. Then perhaps you could share a bit more about yourself. I think this would make a better conversation.

Rob Gassin
23rd August 2008, 06:13
According to the WSKo web site, Maxwell Jude Anthony is the branch Master of the Chenai Branch. However, I do agree a bit of background would not go astray.

Maxwell does seem to have a keen interest in the philosophy, history etc of SK but I am not sure it is all in line with WSKO teaching or my version of facts.

Maxwell, may be you should start your statements with "My understanding is ..." or "I have been led to believe ..." and even better, quote your sources.

Cheers,

Indar
23rd August 2008, 06:31
Dear Max
I smell troll - or perhaps my nose is off?

seems a little harsh................perhaps a visit to India would be appropriate ?

(with a stopover in Dubai).

After all, the BSKF website does state:

"Shorinji Kempo traces its origins back almost 5000 years to India

sean dixie
23rd August 2008, 20:03
Hi all, Kavita spent some time training in India with Sensei Maxwell last year, training with him and the street kids he spends a lot of time with. She has nothing but respect for this sensei and that's enough for me. He maybe a little 'overenthusiastic' or perhaps not so forum 'savvy', but lets give him some respect eh? We're all learning afterall.

kongozen
25th August 2008, 09:40
David, mon ami, thank you so much.
Your approach is very nice, and your understanding is good too.
No worries, I am not here on e-budo for long. It's part of a small time assignment, I am onto.
Gambate Kudasai.
Sayoonara

kongozen
25th August 2008, 09:46
Sean Sensei, that is very kind of you.
No worries. I came empty handed and with an open mind. It is amazing to see many facets of life out there. It is really interesting to analyse the dialogue spoken by one and many. It gives interesting patterns and speaks alot on cultural and communication analysis. The sum total results will tell me if Doshin So's motivation and purpose for founding Kongo Zen Shorinji Kempo, still lives on withing our tiny hearts and minds, and how small and beautiful are we making this big planet, and how carefully we tend to each mind that comes here to pour their thoughts, interests and inspirations. Above all, it will tell me if I can find many humans among beings. I think it is worth awhile to stop here and say "Hi". I am sure there are friends out here as a Stranger is just a friend we do not know. Right?