27th July 2000, 11:11
Does anyone knows the meaning of this ancient ideograph :
http://www.egroups.com/message/aikido-lingua_portuguesa/1554?&start=1525

Waiting for your help
Yamantaka

Adam DArcy
28th July 2000, 02:06
Hello Yamantaka,

I clicked on the link but was sent to e-groups, and didn't notice any ideograph. From what was on the page I saw, the ideograph may have something to do with Aikido specifically. Some pure linguists may know it, but your best bet may be the Aikido Forum.

If you would repost it, I'll have a look.

Adam

Yamantaka
28th July 2000, 11:00
Originally posted by Adam DArcy
Hello Yamantaka,

I clicked on the link but was sent to e-groups, and didn't notice any ideograph. From what was on the page I saw, the ideograph may have something to do with Aikido specifically. Some pure linguists may know it, but your best bet may be the Aikido Forum.

If you would repost it, I'll have a look.

Adam

Hello, Adam!

No, the ideograph have no connection at all with Aikido, since it's very ancient. And sorry by my lack of information : you should scroll that page to the bottom. That's where the ideograph is.
Hoping you can tell me something
Yamantaka

Adam DArcy
29th July 2000, 23:54
Hi Ubaldo,

Thanks for your email. The first one is "Dou" and has been answered in the other post pretty well. Right when I saw the other ideograph, I thought it looked like ?u“»?v"touge" - "a mountain pass" as it is defined in one of my dictionaries. If memory serves correct, one of my Japanese professors said that this Kanji is Japanese "born" and not from China. It might not be the same Kanji at all, but that's what I thought when I saw it.

If you will excuse me, I have to go look for a refrigerator now. :-(

Adam

Yamantaka
1st August 2000, 17:37
Originally posted by Adam DArcy
"Right when I saw the other ideograph, I thought it looked like ?u“»?v"touge" - "a mountain pass" as it is defined in one of my dictionaries. If memory serves correct, one of my Japanese professors said that this Kanji is Japanese "born" and not from China. It might not be the same Kanji at all, but that's what I thought when I saw it.
Adam
"

Hello, Adam!

My friend told me that the ideograph means "BU". In other words, it was an ancient rendering of BU. Could that be?
Best
Ubaldo.