PDA

View Full Version : A question on styles - Once upon a time in China

brianbarton
26th February 2002, 14:33
Does anyone know what style of martial art is being practiced in the opening title sequence of Once Upon a Time in China? There's about 200 blokes on the beach and they're (mostly) in time with Jet Li at the front, set against a backdrop of the rising sun. Looks spectacular!

It looks like kung fu but if anyone could elaborate on the style then I would be grateful.

Highly recommended film by the way.

fifthchamber
4th March 2002, 15:01
Hi Brian,
I thought that the arts used by Jet Li's character in the film were those studied by the 'real' Wong Fei-Hung at the turn of the century.
My memory is not too good but I was pretty sure that he studied Hung Gar Gung Fu and was taught the family style by his father. (And, depending on if you believe the 'Jackie Chan' version..Drunken boxing:laugh: ).
However, I could be wrong. Perhaps a search on Fei-Hung would help your study on this..He DID exist and is held in high esteem as a defender of Chinese rights before the Opium wars against the British.
Something has to be in there about him...Failing that watch the film again and watch for references to his 'style'..(Jet Li himself was a champion in Wushu and his films are certainly influenced by the forms he can do himself..See 'Tai Chi Master' for evidence of that.)
Excellent flm though...
Hope you find out..
Best.

Michael Plank
7th March 2002, 05:08
Yeah, as far as I know (and I've talked with some Hung Gar folk who corroborate this), Wong-fei Hung did Hung Gar and was an historical character. They can even trace school lineages back to him.

Michael Plank

PHILBERT
19th March 2002, 03:59
Wong Fei Hung article on Cyberkwoon.com (http://www.cyberkwoon.com/html/article.php?sid=12)