PDA

View Full Version : Hyoho Niten Ichi-ryu

Andrei Arefiev
17th June 2000, 06:57
Hi!

Just don't think that this is another legitimacy-questioning post http://216.10.1.92/ubb/smile.gif It's just something that has bothered me for a while now and that I'd love to have clarified.

When I first read that Hyoho Niten Ichi-ryu was headed by the tenth generation soke Imai Masayuki, I was surprised, given the fact that most ryuha that date back to about the same time or (comparatively) slightly earlier are close to or have passed the 20th generation (e.g. Muso Jikiden Eishin-ryu, Kashima Shin-ryu, Tatsumi-ryu, just to name a few). Recently, I also found out that the 8th generation soke, Aoki Kikuo Hisakatsu was still alive in 1958, which suggests that the average life span of the ryuha's headmasters before his time was even more impressive.

So, I'd like to see the list of NIR's headmasters (which I have) with the dates when they lived (which I don't have), and also to ask, was it pure luck that they all had long lives or something else? Maybe the secret teachings include ways to live forever? http://216.10.1.92/ubb/biggrin.gif

No disrespect intended, whatsoever.

Best,
Andrei.

Rennis
18th June 2000, 06:43
I don't know the details regarding Hyoho Niten Ichi ryu, but there are other ryu that date from the same period that have roughly the same number of generations. One thing that can play a big factor is how the ryu is transmitted. Is treated like more of an in-house family affair, or is it counted through licensed instructors. If you are counting through licensed instructors the generations could, in theory, add up very quickly as the generation could be counted as the time it took for one to become licensed and then go off and start teaching, where as a ryuha passed on through family like lines (or perhaps outside the family, but with only one person becoming receiving full transmission a generation) the generation could be much longer. To use a completely random example, say maybe 10 years to become licensed vs 35 years or so as soke. I don't know the situation with in Hyoho Niten Ichi ryu, so I can't comment there.

Rennis Buchner

[This message has been edited by Rennis (edited 06-18-2000).]

Andrei Arefiev
19th June 2000, 23:10
Rennis,

This would have been a logical solution, and (I wish to) think that I would have thought of that http://216.10.1.92/ubb/smile.gif However, it doesn't seem to be the case. I don't have the lineage at hand to check, but I believe there were at most 3 generations with the same name, it definitely was not a family tradition.

On the other hand, the Yagyu Shinkage-ryu and the Kashima Shin-ryu headed by the Yagyu and the Kunii, respectively, are still around their 20th generation, so the difference is still rather striking. Don't you think so?

Best,
Andrei.

Yamantaka
8th September 2001, 17:54
Hello!

Is anyone here connected with the Niten Ichi Ryu Heiho or knows anyone who can help me?
In Brazil, there's a man called JORGE KISHIKAWA. He was a kendo champion for many years. Recently, he became involved with kenjutsu and he says he is the representative in Brazil of the Niten Ichi Ryu sword school, but he doesn't present much information concerning that. He also states he teaches the Suio School... :rolleyes:
How could I confirm that?
Best

Nicki Gerstner
9th September 2001, 09:18
Hello Ubaldo,

think you should ask Colin Hyakutake, he would probably able to check that...

Greetings,

Jimmy Francoeur
28th February 2002, 12:44
Hi everyone

I have this question for a moment now. Just out of curiosity, does the Hyoho Niten Ichi ryu have in his curriculum techniques to deal with an armor opponent? and wearing an armor? Since, the ryu was found in a relatively peaceful period my guess is that there is not such techniques. Can somebody answer my question please?

Have a very nice day :)
Jim

fifthchamber
28th February 2002, 14:36
Hello Jim.
I have seen most of the Kata for the one-sword techniques and the Ni-To and in them I did NOT notice any practical and obvious signs that the opponent was wearing Yoroi.
However I do not train in Niten Ichi Ryu so I cannot say for certain.
Pehaps Hyakutake-san knows and will provide a definate answer.
As far as I have seen they do NOT. All the attacks are aimed at areas that are accessible in Kimono such as the throat, and the wrists but beyond that I don't see any emphasis on Yoroi avoiding cuts in the Kata that I know of.
Sorry about the uncertainty of the answer..
:look:
Abayo.

hyaku
28th February 2002, 23:52
Hello Jim

We don't even wear a hakama except for demonstrations let alone armour. Soke complains that we need to see each others legs and body in practice.

Techniques are clearly designed to attack unprotected areas of an opponent wearing armour or not. Up and under a helmet, into the side of the neck, under the wrists with some right up under the nose attacks that crowd the opponent into submission should he try to move back and away.

At present we practice single long and/or short sword technique. There is a bo lesson once a week. I have also been taught shhhh don't tell anyone jujutsu techniques.

More than enough to remember and try and do to reasonably skilled level

If anyone is living down my way or is visiting the next public demo is at Kokura Castle next month.

NHK update: At present the TV guy is coming to practice to reach a better understanding of things. Lets hope the TV documentary will be more than the normal melodramatic rubbish they turn out and they will manage to edit it to show some good points!

Somehow I doubt it and personally would not have allowed them to film.

Hyakutake Colin

Jimmy Francoeur
1st March 2002, 14:58
Greetings,

Thank You Sensei Colin for Your interesting reply. So there is jo-jutsu and ju-jutsu in the Niten Ichi Ryu? is this a "recent" creation or this as always been in the training in the ryu?

Thanks Ben for the reply. It is always nice to heard from You. Keep in touch! :toast:

Have a very nice day
Jim

hyaku
1st March 2002, 23:02
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jimmy Francoeur
[B]Greetings,

Thank You Sensei Colin for Your interesting reply. So there is jo-jutsu and ju-jutsu in the Niten Ichi Ryu? is this a "recent" creation or this as always been in the training in the ryu?

Yes its has always been a part of it but difficult to keep alive through so many generations.

As in all ryu and partcularly in ours, fundamentals are of the essence. A lot of the lesser known more secretive things tend to fall along the wayside.

Hyakutake Colin

http://www.bunbun.ne.jp/~sword/

hyaku
9th January 2004, 16:06
Just put up news of the Inauguration.

Hyakutake Colin

htpp://www.hyoho.com

Ben Bartlett
9th January 2004, 18:45
Wow, that must have been a pretty amazing ceremony. Out of curiousity, where is the bokuto going to be displayed?

hyaku
10th January 2004, 01:30
Damn near froze my goolies. It was snowing a little.

I will post the info when its decided.

Regards Hyakutake Colin