PDA

View Full Version : jujutsu in WA

meat
2nd March 2002, 01:13
Hi guys, this is mainly a question for Neil, but if anyone else can help that'd be great. A friend of mine in WA has been doing goju kai for 3 years and is wanting to take up jujutsu or judo instead, as he finds karate too restrictive. Could you possibly let me know the names and locations of any good schools in WA (perhaps your school Neil?), the only one I know of is Jan De Jongs school(and i dont even know where it is). If you would like to email it to me my address is phatdik@hotmail.com.
cheers

Neil Hawkins
2nd March 2002, 04:56
Peter,

I would recommend Jan De Jong (as he is my instructor!), the shcool is located at 996, Hay st, Perth, phone 9321 8685. They have branches in many suburbs, so one may be convenient for your friend. If he has any specific questions feel free to have him contact me direct.

There is other jujutsu of course, I know of a few personally but have been out of Perth for to long to recommend anyone or provide contact details. Again, if your friend looks in the yellow pages or something and gives me an instructors name or style, I may be able to find out something about him/her and their background.

I will be in Perth this month so will be catching up on what is happening in the jujutsu scene, so I may be able to answer questions better then.

Regards

Neil

MarkF
4th March 2002, 00:07
If your friend is in the Seattle area, he may want to contact the Seattle Jujutsu Dojo, headed by Aaron Fields. He does a meiji era ryu in which Aaron incorporates judo and sambo technique. It's called Yabe-ryu. I've been to his dojo and will be traveling up there this week for a seminar.

Search the forum for Aaron T. Fields, or get in touch with me privately and I will put you in contact with him (click on "email" at the bottom of this post if you wish to get in touch). You may find him by searching this forum or in the judo forum, amongst others.

Speaking of goju ryu, there is a good teacher up there in the same vicinity. With him, it's best not to be interested in ranking or even a keikogi unless you want to wear one when working out. His style is sweats and tee-shirts, but you will learn what's necessary, not necesarily what looks nice. He isn't above including grappling of judo/jujutsu, but his training is in goju and kyokushinkai into his curriculum. That would be Joseph Svinth. He has one student who hits like a mack truck, and knows his stuff. He seems to be farther along in goju ryu than most with his experience.

In Oz, you can't go wrong with Neil. I know of Jan de Jong and his jujutsu (hontai yoshin ryu), it is a very progressive environment. The one thing you will learn is updated variations on older themes. IOW, progressive.

As to judo alone, contact the USJF for dojo in other areas of WA. If not that, the YMCA may have judo, or parks/recs where Mr. Svinth teaches. Small classes, many times one on one. The judo clubs are usually mid-size although there is one in the Olympia area which is one of the largest judo dojo in the country. The late Jerry Dalien was chief instructor there.

The good thing about judo is that it is almost always "next door" meaning there are many to choose from.

(Anyone who says I've got the area wrong for Jerry's old dojo please correct the location. Thanks.)

Mark

Daniel Lee
4th March 2002, 00:39
Guys,

As Neil said Jan de Jong-shihan's school is well established, as are the Jishukan dojo and Yoseikan Budo dojo (Hideaki Unno). Depending on what you want, it pays to shop around so why not check them all out? You can find all three in the Perth Yellow Pages (http://www.yellowpages.com.au) .

Daniel Lee

Neil Hawkins
4th March 2002, 00:47
Mark

I think you'll find that Peter meant Western Australia (WA) rather than Washington (WA), but the information is valid for anyone wanting jujutsu in either locale.

Also Shihan De Jong's style is Tsutsumi Hozan Ryu, not Hontai Yoshin Ryu. Although what is taught to most today is a modified form of the traditional style. The principles and basics remain largely unchanged, but some of the applications have been modified to suit modern teaching methods and situations.

Neil

meat
4th March 2002, 11:53
Thanx alot guys, I really appreciate it. My instructor is also a student of Shihan De Jonng's Neil, u two probably know each other. I'll ask him if he knows you tomorrow at training.
cheers

barryh
12th March 2002, 08:42
My instructor is Andrew Netes, and he is the Perth
Rep for the world jujutsu federation in WA

We train under the Bujinkan system.

The name of the dojo is Bujinkan Goshu Dojo Perth
and can be found in the yellow pages.

Good luck with your training
:wave:

MarkF
14th March 2002, 08:42
:o Whoops!:o I am red with embarassment, but thanks, thanks ever so much for the information, Neil. I,well...

Mark

thumpanddump
22nd March 2002, 22:03
Can anyone direct me to a Jan De Jong web page, with a list of affiliates in the Australian states ?

George Ricard

Neil Hawkins
24th March 2002, 01:44
George,

Sorry but Jan De Jong does not have a web page at present, and there are no affliates outside of WA. There are a number of ex-students that occasionally train (mostly around Brisbane and Sydney) and a few instructors who have trained with De Jong and incorporated some of his techniques into their own styles. But none who teach Jan De Jongs Jujutsu in any official capacity.

I don't know of anyone in Tasmania, so you're probably out of luck. You could always plan a holiday to Perth!

Regards

Neil

thumpanddump
24th March 2002, 21:20
:cry:

Thanks for the info Neil. You might be able to help me further.

I recall that in a past issue of Blitz that there was an advertisement that had a form of Jujutsu (I think it was something like Sensei De Jong's style or another federation?) which listed affiliates in all states.

Unfortunately, I don't have that issue of Blitz anymore...granted it was quite old.

George Ricard

Dale
25th March 2002, 06:33
Peter,
You said your instructor was a student of Shihan de Jong. I am also living in Sydney and am a student of Shihan de Jong, I was wondering if you could tell me the name of your instructor and any details about where you train etc.
If you don't want to post such details up please email me at budo82@hotmail.com

Respectfully yours
Dale Elsdon