PDA

View Full Version : Kusarigama finished

Tony Peters
27th July 2000, 23:19
A while back I asked some questions about constructing a Kusarigama as well as what the non woodworking types do when they want one. Well I finished making mine. It turned out to be a lot more work than I had originally thought (especially the handguard). The Haft started as a piece of 1.125"x1.125" and I quickly realized that powertools wouldn't work, the wood is too hard and they just burn (both the wood and the tool) so the entire thing was shaped by hand. The "mekugi" is an old inline skate axel that I had in my parts bin.

http://www.aikido-l.org/files/kusari.jpg

http://www.aikido-l.org/files/kusari1.jpg

Many thanks to Jun from Aikiweb for posting these photos, I honestly didn't expect him to do so. I bragged that I had finally finished it and he asked for photos so I sent these to him. For those that are wondering if the wood really is that dark? Yes it is, the only reason you see the grain at all is because of my flash. My plans are to craft a Shoto out of this wood as well as maybe a Jutte however that is a long way off (the Jutte that is the shoto maybe this fall).

Lil Dave
1st August 2000, 20:49
I have very little knowledge about the kusarigama. Would someone direct me to a source (print or online) that could help me to learn more? Also, what is the real weapon like? Is the handle wooden or metal? I've read both (yoshikawa's 'Musashi' and Ratti's 'Secrets of the Samurai'), as well as that the blade could be folded down into the handle. What was that piece of metal for(mekugi?), the one that connects the 'blade' and handle?

Dave Buck

JD Porter
1st August 2000, 21:00
beautiful work. Could you take a picture against a white background? it's hard to see against the grass.

Tony Peters
1st August 2000, 21:54
I have read that bit about the blade folding a number of time in lots of places however in the 5 plus years that I've been in the Pacific I have never seen a Kama (real japanese agricultural ones) with a folding blade; That seems to be an american thing. The piece that connects the haft to the blade is the handguard the Mekugi is what holds the blade to the handle. The SMR Kusarigama is not an Agricultural variant it is a fighting weapon so it has a handguard. I have seen metal Kama handles but those whould have been rather expensive and irritatling if they got wet (bloody). Bugei has one for sale if you want to seen it. I haven't seen anything on the web about SMR Kusarigama but as it's also a weapon used by other arts I would recomend doing a search about it.
As for shooting against a white background I'll try but the location of the posted photos isn't under my control so I'll have to figure out how to post them.

Neil Hawkins
2nd August 2000, 03:14
I'm not sure if Ulf Undermark is still around but on the old E-Budo, he was doing some research into kusarigama and had some info on different ones from different styles.

There are some that have the blade and the chain at the same end, others have a guard like Tonys' and others just have a straight shaft. Size varies a bit too, I've seen them with handles nearly two feet long and a 12' blade, but I would think that these are too heavy and un-wieldly.

Most had a steel blade, on a wooden handle and the chain varied, but could be up to 20 feet long, though most were around 10 feet (from what I've seen anyway), usually they had a round or hexagonal weight on the end, but again I've seen pictures of spikes ones, that caught in the clothing.

Interesting weapon, it's taught in few schools now-a-days, I can't remember anyone outside of SMR or Tsutsumi Hozan Ryu, but I there are other schools that still teach it.

Regards
Neil

Undmark, Ulf
2nd August 2000, 10:33
Hello,

The information about different types of kusarigama (left by Ellis Amdur) described some three variations.
The difference is, basically, where the chain is attached and how long it is. They are used in Araki, Kiraku, Isshin and Toda-ha Buko ryu (and some other ryuha as well, however I'm not sure if they teach "how to use" or "how to defend against" them).

As I understand it, the Araki and Kiraku ryu kusarigama could be used as a one-hand weapon, while, for instance, the Isshin ryu version (having a longer chain attached to the "bottom" of the haft) most often requires two hands. The Araki ryu chain is attached to the top of the haft, near the base of the blade. Some of these versions use a hand guard wich, due to different preferences within the ryuhas, are placed either right under the blade or at the lower part of the haft.There are some differences in curvature and length of the blade as well.

The way I understand it, kusarigama is a weapon from the late Muromachi period, designed for single combat. I believe that those who know most about this would be Meik Skoss and Ellis Amdur. They can correct any of my misstakes here.
My self, I havn't done the Kusarigama kata (yet...)

Regards,
Ulf Undmark

Ulf Lehmann
2nd August 2000, 12:20
Hi,
I agree what (the other) Ulf says. The types of Kusarigama are very different from ryu to ryu. But Iīm not sure, that the ryu have standardized forms in the history. If you go to museums in Japan you can see a lot of "curious" weapons. There are so many versions of no typical forms (Odawara castle is a good place for research). Maybe this forms was build in the Edo-period for training? I believe the first Kusarigama was build more individual - for a better handling in combat... (even by Naginata, Yari, Tachi...)

BTW, if you would look for the standard types of Araki-, Isshin- and Buko ryu - there are some illustrations in:
http://www.tenshukaku.de
Maybe, some of the articles are german...

regards,

Ulf Lehmann

George Ledyard
2nd August 2000, 17:28
Originally posted by Tony Peters
A while back I asked some questions about constructing a Kusarigama as well as what the non woodworking types do when they want one. Well I finished making mine.
Really very nice! What style is that from. I am familiar with the Araki Ryu and the Buko Ryu Kusarigama but haven't seen one quite like that. Thanks.

Also, for those interested, Bugei has a very nice looking live blade kusrigama at a most reasonable price.

[Edited by George Ledyard on 08-02-2000 at 11:45 AM]

Tony Peters
2nd August 2000, 20:37
Originally posted by George Ledyard

Originally posted by Tony Peters
A while back I asked some questions about constructing a Kusarigama as well as what the non woodworking types do when they want one. Well I finished making mine.
Really very nice! What style is that from. I am familiar with the Araki Ryu and the Buko Ryu Kusarigama but haven't seen one quite like that. Thanks.

Also, for those interested, Bugei has a very nice looking live blade kusrigama at a most reasonable price.

[Edited by George Ledyard on 08-02-2000 at 11:45 AM]

The version I made is the standard shape for Isshin ryu (as close as I could make it anyway) which is part of the SMR cirriculum. I had a real difficult time fabricating the Handguard as a result it is a bit bigger in the opening than the model I worked from. I haven't yet shown it to my sensei (he was off at the IJF Gashuku) however I get to show it to him this weekend. I'm looking forward to his reaction.

Lil Dave
2nd August 2000, 22:50
Was the kusarigama considered an honorable weapon to use (in the eyes of the bushi)? Is it any more difficult to learn than the standard weapons (sword, spear, etc.)?

Dave Buck

Tony Peters
2nd August 2000, 23:19
Originally posted by Lil Dave
Was the kusarigama considered an honorable weapon to use (in the eyes of the bushi)? Is it any more difficult to learn than the standard weapons (sword, spear, etc.)?

Dave Buck

My understanding of the Kus is that it was considered an easilly carried secondary weapon to pull out (like a cop's back up piece) when you lost your primary weapon. Survival was the more important matter at that point. However I don't know this for fact. Anybody else?

Ulf Lehmann
3rd August 2000, 08:40
Hi, Mr. Peters

To my mind is a Kusarigama not a "secondary" weapon. Ask yourself, whatīs the favorite advantage of this kind of weapon - the long range. Your distance is too long for a enemy swordsman,if you can use the chain. Thatīs good for you. But your distance is too short if you use only your sickle. Maai is a very important point in Kusarigama jutsu. (secondary weapons are daggers, tessen or jutte). If you loose your primary weapon in combat - itīs too late to pull out and use the Kusarigama. I think so...
"Was the kusarigama considered an honorable weapon to use (in the eyes of the bushi)?" Well - I think thatīs different. If you use a Kusarigama - itīs a honorable weapon. If you stay on the other side - itīs not. Maybe there are some others who are not so honorable in the eyes of the warriors - Shuriken, Uchi ne, all kinds of chains and last but not least guns...

regards

Ulf Lehmann

Neil Hawkins
3rd August 2000, 10:38
I'm with Ulf.

I haven't done much Kusari yet (couple more gradings to do first, in Tsutsumi Hozan Ryu and SMR :)) but from what I've seen, it would have to have been a primary weapon It requires both hands to use effectively and as Ulf said it is best used at distances slightly outside of the reach of a katana.

I'm not sure why one would have carried one as it would be hard to manage when not fighting, but I've been told that they were probably a battlefield weapon. Anybody got any comments on this?

Neil

Ulf Lehmann
3rd August 2000, 14:20
Hi Neil,

well, the "both-hands-fact" is very important in Kusarigama jutsu.
If I donīt misunderstand you - you mean the Kusarigama is a battlefield weapon?
I believe not. This weapon was for individual combat in duel and not for the battlefield. Kusarigama need too much space when you fight shoulder by shoulder in war. And it isīt good enought for "hit and hit again" tactics.
For illustration - there is a cool story about Araki Mataemon and Yamada Shinryukan... I think you know it.

regards

Ulf Lehmann

George Ledyard
4th August 2000, 07:33
Originally posted by Ulf Lehmann
Hi, Mr. Peters

To my mind is a Kusarigama not a "secondary" weapon. Ask yourself, whatīs the favorite advantage of this kind of weapon - the long range. Your distance is too long for a enemy swordsman,if you can use the chain. Thatīs good for you. But your distance is too short if you use only your sickle. Maai is a very important point in Kusarigama jutsu. (secondary weapons are daggers, tessen or jutte). If you loose your primary weapon in combat - itīs too late to pull out and use the Kusarigama. I think so...
"Was the kusarigama considered an honorable weapon to use (in the eyes of the bushi)?" Well - I think thatīs different. If you use a Kusarigama - itīs a honorable weapon. If you stay on the other side - itīs not. Maybe there are some others who are not so honorable in the eyes of the warriors - Shuriken, Uchi ne, all kinds of chains and last but not least guns...

regards

Ulf Lehmann

One of the difficulties in dealing with the kusarigama is not just that it is a long range weapon but that it is that it is a weapon with variable maai. Ellis Amdur sensei told me that was the reason it was included in the weapons forms of the Araki Ryu. A person of moderate skill could give a good swordsman a run for his money. Blocking a strike was problematical as the sword would often cause the chain to swing the weight into your head when you tried to block. The function of the weight and chain, at least in the Araki Ryu was to force the swordsman to zone out to avoid the weight, as he did so the weilder of the kusarigama would move rapidly into close range before the swordsman could recover full. By the time he was ready to counter strike the range was appropriate for the shorter weapon. The Araki Ryu version of the weapon has a hand guard which protected the fingers and functioned to trap the sword blade between the handguard and the Kusarigama blade. Small deflection movement could then result I use of the blade against the swordsman as well as application of the chain for trapping or choking.

Yojimbo558
5th August 2000, 06:23
Hi Neil,

In regards to your questions regarding the use of the Kasuri Gama, here's a few other tidbits. The style I practice is called Bujinkan, and the Kasuri Gama is one of the weapnons which we are exposed to :)

As has been stated in previous posts it has been used in single combat as well as battlefield.

The design in regards to one question allows for easy transport of the weapon. A sickle was a common farming weapon and it would be easy to use the rope or chain to assist in pulling a cart. Thus you were able to travel without looking as if you were armed. With a knot that would allow for a quick release, the individual would quickly have access to his weapon.

The weight or spike would be attached to the sickle with either horse or woman's hair or by chain. The advantage to using hair was that it was strong, and could be twirled far faster than a chain. Using a radar like they do for clocking pitchers speed, has revealed speeds approaching 160 + miles per hour ( less if using a chain ). More than sufficient to kill on impact with the skull or for that matter cause serious damage to your opponents sword.

Being swung in such a manner needless to say makes it hard for a group of people to close in on a person armed with this weapon.

When it came to using this weapon in terms of clandestine operations, eggs or other delitcate containers with powders so that when they weapon made contact the swordsman would be blinded ( with any thing from pitch to iron powder which would rip and tear the eyes with every movement or twitch ).

Sometimes a snake ( the habu for instance << a snake indigenous to Japan would be tied to the cord or chain, spinning wildly the terrified snake upon making contact with the swordsman would as begin biting away...the Habu's poison differs from a rattlesnakes in that it attacks and destroys the cellular structure of the tissue. Now adays even after treatment the tissue never recovers >>

At night a small fuel source could be attached to the chain and set afire. While spinning the fire has two effects. 1) Illuminating the immediate area. 2) Destroying the swordsmans vision, after the flame passes he's left with a fiery after image allowing the Kasuri Gama user to change his angle and connect on the next pass.

Ideally when using the smaller Kusari Gama's the length of the chain or rope is anywhere from 9' - 12'. After ensaring the swordsman or his weapon the sickle would be used to finish them off.

One of the problems when fully committing to spinning is that you are grounded and not able to dodge very well. Musashi took advantage of this fact when deuling with Baiken. When Baiken committed to spinning his weapon Musashi used a throwing blade to wound Baiken. Unable to spin, Musashi closed quickly and finished him off.

For battlefield purposes, the Kusari Gama is on steroids so to speak! The name of the battlefield version is the O-Gama. The chain and weight were thick, and heavy enough to entangle and trip the legs of your opponents war horse. The size of the handle of the sickle was about the length of katana, while the blade itself was thick about 1'1/2" - 2' long. There was also a spike at the top. The blade was used for slashing and spike for ramming.

The kusari was also employed by pirates, and could be used for aiding in the boarding of another ship or destroying the sails of some unfortunate sould leaving it to their rowing speed ( which would be insufficient to get away ).

At any rate I hope some of helps, have fun training.

Eric Bookin