PDA

View Full Version : Regarding 'Bugei Ryuha Daijiten'

fifthchamber
4th March 2002, 13:51
Hello all,
I would like to know which edition of the Daijiten contained the comments written on Takamatsu Sensei that stated that he invented the Ninpo Ryuha from games in his childhood.
I know that Dr. Friday stated that it appeared in the 1981 edition but since have the 78' copy I was wondering wether it is worth the look.
I have gone through the Togakure Ryu entry and could find nothing that comes near that. (Although my translation skills are NOT great!)
Also I would appreciate ay comments anyone has on the differences between the three editions. Are there any? What are they? Which would you say is the best 'overall' (i.e. The 81' version because it is more up to date or the first as there is little difference between the copies).
I would appreciate ANY feedback on the books.
Abayo..

josephcswartz
4th March 2002, 15:21
Hi Ben,

This is reply to your post.

Regarding 'Bugei Ryuha Daijiten'

>I would like to know which edition of the Daijiten contained the comments written on Takamatsu Sensei that stated that he invented the Ninpo Ryuha from games in his childhood.

Not the 78 version. Must be the 81 version, I'll check today, (I'm not sure what third version you are talking about unless you are talking about like the original original.) 78 is the version I see floating around the most.

I know that Dr. Friday stated that it appeared in the 1981 edition but since I have the 78' copy I was wondering wether it is worth the look.

In my experience, so much is lost or misinterpreted, or just can't be translated in the translation you almost have to read it in japanese. Wether it's worth your time, track down an 81 copy, shell out some yen, translate it (maybe it's still not exactly right) and then it's going to be very similiar anyway. Your call.

I have gone through the Togakure Ryu entry and could find nothing that comes near that. (Although my translation skills are NOT great!)

If you would like an English translation of the Ninpo Ryuha in the Bugei Ryuha Daijiten just e-mail me at josephcswartz@hotmail.com.

Also I would appreciate any comments anyone has on the differences between the three editions. Are there any? What are they? Which would you say is the best 'overall' (i.e. The 81' version because it is more up to date or the first as there is little difference between the copies).
I would appreciate ANY feedback on the books.
Abayo..

What diffierences if any I would think would have to be small. <wait a minute I'm showing 1965 and 1969, and 1978 editions. No 1981. If there is a 1981 then there are 4 variants. See Buyubooks.com BRD entry. The one thing that I think really has a bearing is the fact that he died. So I don't emember the exact date however. Usually when dealing with Ninpo material I try to find the "Oldest" copy available. I remember now, getting old, He finished it an died right after. like a month later or something. So I would say best edition would be his first. If he wanted it in there it would've been in there. Sure you can look at the other editions but you know after you die someone could just add in all sorts of stuff in there, a line here a line there, discredit there. Ie takamatsu made up etc., compare the 196x ) version with 1981, My hunch is it's not in the earlier edition, but was added in later. (1965 1969 editions which I now believe you were referring to jointly as the first version with little difference between them.

Hope this was helpful,

Joseph Swartz

;)

josephcswartz
4th March 2002, 15:23
Dear Ben,

This last part didn't post, not sure why.

wait a minute I'm showing 1965 and 1969, and 1978 editions. No 1981. If there is a 1981 then there are 4 variants. See Buyubooks.com BRD entry. The one thing that I think really has a bearing is the fact that he died. So I don't emember the exact date however. Usually when dealing with Ninpo material I try to find the "Oldest" copy available. I remember now, getting old, He finished it an died right after. like a month later or something. So I would say best edition would be his first. If he wanted it in there it would've been in there. Sure you can look at the other editions but you know after you die someone could just add in all sorts of stuff in there, a line here a line there, discredit there. Ie takamatsu made up etc., compare the 196x ) version with 1981, My hunch is it's not in the earlier edition, but was added in later. (1965 1969 editions which I now believe you were referring to jointly as the first version with little difference between them.

Hope this was helpful,

Joseph Swartz

fifthchamber
5th March 2002, 15:24
Hello Joseph,
Thank for the replies...Perfect. I have mailed you anyway but do appreciate your work on this and the patience you have.. My post was not too clear.
I meant the 65' and 69' as one book..Three years would not have allowed much changes..The 1978 as the third and the last as the 1981 printing..In which I think, the comments were originally made. I have found no similar comments in the 78' version.
Thanks.