PDA

View Full Version : Vitamins and other supplements..

SilkSeaWater
9th March 2002, 15:12
Let's see...

A Multi-Vitamin (A quality one)
Vitamin B Complex
Vitamin A/D
Gingo Biloba
Echinacea (Intermittently as directed)

I use the A/D ONLY because I live in an environment with very, very little sunlight. While I have heard from some doctors it is unnecessary in most parts of the world and can even be dangerous if you take to much; I have also read that if you live in places w/ no sun, you can have some serious problems w/o it.

That's about it. Sometimes when I am deficient in a particular area due to extra stress, exercise, illness or diet I'll add something new temporarily.

Take care.

P.S. I'm not a doctor and my body is probably different that your body, so you might want to have a chat w/ him or her when adding or removing supplements. :wave:

NoMan
9th March 2002, 20:00
Primarily anti-oxidants. Every now and again when I need a boost, some Siberian Ginseng or caffeine pills. I take the anti-oxidants before a heavy workout, along with the Ginseng, and get to it!

luihu
11th March 2002, 09:16
For vitamins I eat:
multivitamin, once a day
fishliveroil-capsules (no idea what they are called in english, omega-b or something?) twice a day

And supplements:
60-100g whey protein in 2-3 doses
creatin, about 5g/day
l-glutamine, when I´m training heavily, 10g/day
and of course, dextrose and maltodexstrin.

That´s about it

József Pap

Shitoryu Dude
12th March 2002, 21:28
Multi-vitamin
Glucosamine with Chondroitin
Vitamin C
Vitamin E
Chromium Picolinate
DHEA (Dehydroepiandrosterone)

And all the sushi I can get!

:beer:

MarkF
14th March 2002, 09:26
I use the A/D ONLY because I live in an environment with very, very little sunlight. While I have heard from some doctors it is unnecessary in most parts of the world and can even be dangerous if you take to much; I have also read that if you live in places w/ no sun, you can have some serious problems w/o it.

I was just up north for a week (Seattle) and it was overcast, cloudy with a bit of rain, and it actually snowed one day. That was big news up there. Snow! I'm used to it, but it was pretty surprising.

Just a comment on "very little sunlight" and Vit. D. Vitamin D IS provided through exposure to the sun, but that is a little misleading, or perhaps incomplete would be a better word. Exposure to "daylight" would probably be a better term. Vit. D is necessary for the bioavailability of Calcium, and this exposure is usually necessary. But Vit.D with A or without also needs exposure for it to function as it should. It is the combination of all three which is necessary to good health, though of course D should always be taken when indoors much of the day. Even twenty minutes of exposure is enough to give you the necessary and roughly 400 IU of D necessary, and yes, since it is a fat soluble vitamin, overdosage is possible, but it would have to be in the tens of thousands IUs to damage the liver and possibly the kidneys. Fish liver oil vit. A can also cause similar problems as A and D are fat soluable and stored in the liver for use later. However, with beta carotene Vit. A there is, so far, no maximum dosage, and so far has shown no side-effects as can the fish liver type.

The other note is on "What is exposure to sunlight?" Clouds, over cast skies do NOT prevent the absorbtion of sunlight and Vit. D, rather the notion of staying indoors much of the day due to conditions in Oregon, Washington, and further north is the culprit. So it isn't the fact that the sun may not be shining (it does get through the clouds just fine, otherwise it would be as dark as night if it didn't).

Fish oil concentrates, depending on the purpose are called Omega 3 or Omega 6. One is not necessarily better or "stronger" than the other, they provide similar antioxidant protection. Fish LIVER oil concentrates are more likely to be the source of Vit. A. Carotenes deliver the same nutritional needs, but this is more of a preference than a difference, though carotenoids are probably better in building a stronger immune system, IMO. Further, they are available in almost all types of legumes, such as bell pepper of all colors, and, of course, in carrots.

*A notation on Fish oil Omegas: They MUST contain a small amount of D alpha tocopherols (Vit. E, but only natural E as in D alpha and mixed tocopherols. Other forms are almost useless. They are necessary for freshness and the conversion by the body to their proscribed uses). One to six IUs are sufficient.*

Ginko Biloba right now, is effective, but only in the individual. They do not have the same effect in everybody. Ginseng always worked for me, especially when in school, a personal opinion on that.

All that said, these are strictly my opinions through my studies of clinical pharmacy. While I'm a Pharm. D, never, ever get this type of information on the internet, at least not in the general opinions of those who state they believe certain studies or not. This is largely an unregulated business, and may be harmful to some. The same is true through the opinions of medical doctors, and prescription drugs.

Just a few thoughts on the subject.

You may continue to ignore me now and return to your regularly scheduled discussion.:)

Mark

luihu
15th March 2002, 08:04
I have spent this week at my girlfriends flat, so I haven't had a chance to check out, were my pills fishliveroil concentrates or what. Omega-3 sounds familiar though.
Anyway, thanks for the basic information.

József Pap

MarkF
15th March 2002, 10:22
ahh, Kent,
Please, please don't use the "D-word." On a MA web site it can get nasty fast but you already know that.

;)

Mark

Jim_Jude
16th March 2002, 13:31
I use all herbals from Dr Richard Shulze. I don't have a link, but I have a 800# where you can order a free catalog of all his products. They're great, if you want to PM me for the #, I'll give it to you.

John Lindsey
16th March 2002, 15:24
I recently heard that the Picolinate in Chromium Picolinate might be linked to causing cancer?

Shitoryu Dude
18th March 2002, 19:52
Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest bit - everything can contribute to cancer or some other health problem. I know a woman who was told by her doctor to quit drinking so damn much water.

Until I get better data I'll stick with the stuff. If it becomes a true problem I'm sure another formulation of Chromium will become available.

:beer:

yamatodamashii
31st March 2002, 15:23
I don't know about causing cancer, but I do know that the last time I checked, it had proven effective for weight loss only in individuals who are both a) clinically obese (over 20% bodyfat--that means benefits cut off once you get down to that point) and b) on a diet which is noticeably deficient in chromium picolinate (so, if you eat a balanced diet, you don't need the supplement).

My regime (meals one, three and five also include whatever sort of food I'm hungry for that day, in a 40/30/30 ratio of carb/protein/fat, to bring total protein intake to 152 grams/day--or .8 grams/pound of my lean muscle mass):

Meal I: 22 grams of whey protein, multivitamin, vitamin e (400 iu)
Meal II: 20 grams of soy protein, tribulus/yohimbe cocktail
Meal III: 22 grams of whey protein
Meal IV: 20 grams of soy protein, trib/yo cocktail
Meal V: 22 grams of whey protein, ZMA, 5 grams of creatine monohydrate

By the way, I'm on my third issue of the Journal of Asian Martial Arts--and while I have been very happy with the magazine this far, I was disappointed to the point of anger with the nutrition article they published in the new issue. Any one else read it?

txhapkido
6th April 2002, 07:02
Glucosaminine Sulfate 1,500 mg
MSM 5,000 mg
CLA 2,000 mg
Psyllium Husk Caps 1,000 mg
Vitamin C 1,00 mg
Vitamin E 800 IU
Advanced Nutritional System (with everything in it) 4 tablets
Just started Ultra Juice Green today since acupuncture friend said I had a blood deficiency.

I'd like to lose 10-15 pounds but it won't come off! I lift weights and do aerobics, and at 51 years of age can wear most of my martial art students out. I've maxed out most of the weight machines at the recreation center and even sit-ups on the reclining board with 100 pound weight on my chest is no challenge anymore. I'm 6' 3" and 215 pounds and gut is too big. Any suggestions?

yamatodamashii
7th April 2002, 10:42
1) Make certain that you have adequate protein intake--protein should account for about 30% of your calories at each meal, so that you have enough glucagon released to have reasonable access to your bodyfat (too much carbohydrate and you have an excess of insulin, which "locks" energy in your fat cells).

2) Never train for more than 45 minutes at a time--30 is better. Beyond that point, your body begins producing extra insulin as part of an energy cycle--which has the same effect as #1 above.

3) Try to train before your fist meal of the day. Your body will have the lowest reserves of blood sugar, and will be more disposed to burn bodyfat as fuel.