PDA

View Full Version : 2002 Orlando Tai Kai

Tom Smyth
10th March 2002, 12:14
The 3rd Annual Orlando Tai Kai is set for Saturday Agust 24th, 2002. Location will be the Orlando Recreation Gymnasium located on Livingston Street. This years event will be similar to previous years with Uecki Sensei( Kaicho of the ZNBDR), Hataya Sensei and Sakaida Sensei serving as the head tournament officials. Events will include kata, Individual cutting, Team Cutting, Kumitachi, Wakizashi cutting and Dotan.

Seminars by these Japanese officials and several of the top American sword experts will be offered the day before the event.This year's banquet will be held on FRIDAY night, August 23rd, the night before the Tai Kai.

Complete details concerning registration, hotel accomodations and seminars will be available soon. For more info please post a reply to this thread here or call East Coast Martial Arts @800-407-1592.

Tom Smyth
Toyama Ryu Batto-Jutsu
Palm Bay, Fl.:smokin:

carl mcclafferty
10th March 2002, 14:58
Tom:
Thanks for getting this set up so early. It'll give all of us a chance to make the arrangements in good time.

Everyone else:
This gives us a chance to show our arts, see other styles, meet people we only converse with on the net, meet some really good, long time Japanese swordsmen and, of course, party with St. Bob and crew at the banquet. The events are run the same as Tai Kai in Japan, has kata divisions, cutting divisions so everyone has a chance to do their thing.

Maybe Big Tony will give me a chance to cut just once with his Howard Clark sword at the seminars (if I can lift it heh heh). I have a feeling that my bar bill is going to be larger.

Hope to see you guys and ladies there.

Carl McClafferty
PS: Tom have been promoted to Sandan. (Congratulations Tom)!!

Tom Smyth
10th March 2002, 17:47
Hey Carl :
maybe if we could get Big Tony out there a day early ( hint hint big Tony !!)we could schedule a little midnight cutting session down at the dojo.. Maybe he would let us try his sword... and got a nice dull stone I would love to rub on its edge when he isnt looking too...Or maybe glue it into the saya.......

Tom Smyth

:nin:

bob elder
11th March 2002, 01:35
Hi guys, I just got permission from my boss, Fran - flakes to be at the tai kai! Also, we would like to let everyone know that seminars this year will be taught by McClafferty sensei, ( who has sworn he gonna wear his kilt at the banquet) And sensei's Ueki, Hataya and Sakaida. We will probably only run Friday for these events. This event will be the first sponsored by the newly formed US Federation of Batto Do Inc. (USFBD) Instead of a Toyama event. We are the new sister org. for the Zen Nihon Batto Do Renmei, and will follow their rules. Almost any dojo or individual can join this group. The goal is to do the ZNBR sei tei kata and cutting patterns done in Japan. We expect this to take some time to implement, so it will not take place this year. Some of the seminars will be on the "sei tei" kata. The last tai kai I attended in Japan, 2 yrs. ago requested (required?) 2 sei tei kata and a third kata of your choice. Many there do not do Toyama kata and do very well. Anyway, any info needed, please holler. Bob Elder (producer of 3rd. annual gf.)

socho
11th March 2002, 01:44
Bob-san,
please correct me if I'm wrong, but just to let the non-Batto-do Federation types know, this seitei is NOT the same series as the ZNKR seitei iai. Wouldn't want anyone to get psyched up doing one and be disappointed or surprised. (Can I get in on the midnight cutting session? )

pgsmith
11th March 2002, 18:27
Thanks for the heads-up Tom, and congratulations on the Sandan! For the midnight cutting session, I'll bring Tequila, you bring the stone. We'll get Sherry to distract him! Of course, as big as he is a dull sword may not matter! Save the super glue for Animo. :) We're already looking at air fares.

Cheers, :toast:

bob elder
11th March 2002, 20:43
Oh good Dangerous Dave. These are new(?) sei tei to the ZNBR. They may be from the Nakamura Ryu system. Many sword styles belong to the ZNBR, not just Toyama Ryu. So to standardize a tai kai , they introduced these. I would like to add that Toyama ryu guys do not dominate the tai kais in Japan. I don't have it handy, but almost half of last years tai kai placers in Orlando were not Toyama Ryu. Are you reading this Big Tony?! Bob Elder

T. ALVAREZ
13th March 2002, 22:40
I heard you were out for me.

"COME AND GET IT"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh and bring some beer as I get real thirsty after opening up a can of whoooooooooop ass!
:)

BIG TONY
:toast:

Tom Smyth
15th March 2002, 01:43
Hey Tony :
man do I have BEER for you this year... We will get together Thursday night and while Dave and Paul are getting you well intoxicated, Animo and I will be bending the crap out of your sword so it wont come out of the saya...

Sounds like a plan huh ??

Tom Smyth
Last years Best dead guy:toast: :toast: :toast:

pgsmith
15th March 2002, 18:13
I'm there! And remember Tony, it's not paranoia if everyone really is out to get you! :laugh:

Cheers,

Animo
16th March 2002, 19:32
Information on the Tai Kai is available at www.toyama-ryu.com. I invite everyone to come to Orlando and participate. Bring the family and enjoy Disney, Universal, or Sea World. I hope to see old friends and meet some new people at this year's event. Whether you come for the Tai Kai or the series of seminars by top swordsmen, this will be an event to remember.

T. ALVAREZ
17th March 2002, 01:05
Tom,
I'm there. Nothing like a little drinking fest along with some good old sabotage.

Paul,

You mean those voices I hear are for real!

I'm looking forward to seeing you guys.

BIG TONY

Tom Smyth
21st March 2002, 17:49
Hey Tony :
a while back you mentioned something about getting out here a day or two early to try and train ( and drink some beer).

Let us know what your plans are so we can "properly" arrange to get together with you .

Tom Smyth:nin:

T. ALVAREZ
21st March 2002, 18:03
Tom,

I'm planning on getting out there either the Wed. or Thur. before the Tai kai. I will e-mail you when I finalize my schedule.
I should be staying through sunday as Bob mentioned that there was a board meeting at his house and BBQ. Can't pass up a good cooked pig!
Oh, and lot's of beer :)

Do you have a third for that team event yet? let me know.

See ya

BIG TONY

Tom Smyth
27th March 2002, 21:20
Hey Big Tony:
Better get here Wed evening sometime or catch the red eye out. Going to see if we can set up a little impromptu cutting session Thursday Evening. And a beer or two maybe...

Tom Smyth

T. ALVAREZ
27th March 2002, 21:33
Tom,

Count me in. I will plan on getting there either wed. night or thur. morning.

I look forward to it.

BIG TONY