PDA

View Full Version : Nihanchi kata 1,2,3

Kevin73
13th March 2002, 17:09
I have heard that there are 3 versions of nihanchi kata (not by style) shodan, nidan, and sandan. I have seen Choki Motobu's son demonstrate 1 and 2, but I have never seen the 3rd either a description or photos/video.

Is anyone familiar with the 3rd set, and if so is there a site to go to for more info?

Thanks in advance

Rob Alvelais
14th March 2002, 00:14
Originally posted by Kevin73

Is anyone familiar with the 3rd set, and if so is there a site to go to for more info?

Thanks in advance

A quick google search yielded:

http://www.shorinryu.dk/html/kata.htm

Rob

Joel Simmons
15th March 2002, 23:12
Aloha,

The naihanchi I was taught has several extra moves and appears to "flow" more than the one on that website. Maybe its just my inexperience, but that performance seemed rather "jerky."

Then again, we always called it Nai Fuan Chin Sandan. I guess some Okinawan ryu are still more apt to retain the Chinese-esque names for some of the kata.

FYI - I practiced shobayashi shorin ryu under a sensei who did not care for being part of any governing body...so who knows if I was on the right track or not.

:toast:

Tatsu
16th March 2002, 03:18
I was under the impression that Naihanchi Sandan was a newer Naihanchi. All 3 have many hidden grappling techs. Kobayashi Shorin teaches these (the first 2) as the first true forms after learning the Kihon Kata. Matsubayashi teaches them after the Pinan series. Many Japanese styles teach 1 and 2 but not 3 (usually called "tekki"). Some modern and old school karates teach only 1 Naihanchi.

Naihanchi has been spelled Naifuanchi, Naihanshi and a myriad other ways. Most traditionalists use the Naihanchi pronunciation/spelling.

Kevin73
16th March 2002, 04:16
When I was looking around for information, on a shotokan website (24 fighting chickens) they mentioned that the Nihanchi forms were called "tekki" and that the 3rd one was changed to something newer but alot still practiced the old. I'm not a shotokan practicioner, so I'm not sure if this is what you are referring to or not.