PDA

View Full Version : Okono mi Yaki....

Jim_Jude
16th March 2002, 15:14
Does anyone know where I can get a recipe for Okonomiyaki off the net?

Steve Williams
16th March 2002, 19:14
http://www.japan-guide.com/r/e100.html

BTW my wife makes a wicked Okonomiyaki..... ;)

Also it is quite healthy :)

Steve Williams
16th March 2002, 19:17
Just another thought.

There are different styles of Okonomiyaki, dependant on the area of Japan.....

As in most things Japanese each region has the "best" way of doing things :rolleyes: ;)

http://japanesefood.about.com/library/weekly/aa111201a.htm

Jim_Jude
16th March 2002, 20:17
I was in Tokyo and then Hiroshima, everyone asked me which I liked better. They were so dissapointed that I liked both. heheheeh
Actually, I preferred the Hiroshima style, how everything is layered instead of just mixed together. When I was going to the Bujinkan Hombu, I went to the Okonomyaki restaurant downt the road quite abit for supper after Sunday training.

I LOVE THAT STUFF!!!! OISHI, NEH!?!

ps: kansai is centered around Nagoya, right? Is Tokyo considered Kansai? if not, what is it? and what is Hiroshima...? I get so confused.

P Goldsbury
16th March 2002, 21:21
Originally posted by Jim_Jude

I LOVE THAT STUFF!!!! OISHI, NEH!?!

The secret is (said to be) in the sauce: whether yu use Otafuku or another brand. And the stuff you add to the mixture. In my local shop (much better than Okonomimura, by the way), you can have a huge variety of layers added to the original vegetable, meat and egg. I always have mixed seafood (scalllops, cuttlefish, small ebi shrimps) and chopped mushrooms and wash it all down with Kirin beer.

ps: kansai is centered around Nagoya, right? Is Tokyo considered Kansai? if not, what is it? and what is Hiroshima...? I get so confused.

No, Nagoya is Chubu. The Kansai is centred on Osaka. Tokyo is CERTAINLY NOT considered even remotely Kansai (it is Kanto), as any Osaka native will tell you. Hiroshima is Chugoku = inaka: "the country" (as in 'bumpkins'). You should come again.

Best,

P Goldsbury
17th March 2002, 03:12
Originally posted by Steve Williams
Just another thought.

There are different styles of Okonomiyaki, dependant on the area of Japan.....

As in most things Japanese each region has the "best" way of doing things :rolleyes: ;)

http://japanesefood.about.com/library/weekly/aa111201a.htm

Yes, in my local shop, the round batter is fried and seasoned and then soba or udon, in single or double portions, is put on the batter. Then the chopped cabbage is added and the whole lot flipped over. When it is all cooked, the egg is broken on the hotplate and the yolk broken, and the whole mixture is flipped back on to the egg, turned over again, and the negi etc added.

I shall be eating there in approximately 4 hours time...

Best regards,

J. A. Crippen
2nd April 2002, 11:00
Does anyone have a recipe for okonomiyaki sauce? (And would that be called 'okonomiyaki soosu' or something else?)

I tried making some with a half-assed guess but it turned out to basically taste like worcestershire with ketchup. And like crap. Perhaps I was missing some secret obaasan okuden?

Neil Yamamoto
2nd April 2002, 18:46
I can't stand okonomiyaki. I had it in Hiroshima, Osaka, Okayama, Kyoto, Nara, and Tokyo. Being much younger then, everywhere I went the people I was with were sure I would love it. My brother and I had to gag it down everytime and pretend we liked it. No matter what regional variation I tried, we just did not like the stuff for some reason. Neither of us is sure why we gagged on the stuff.

So when my sister's friend came to visit, she cooked it for the family. I was not there but my mom had a better idea of what I made a face about each time my brother would bring up the subject. Anyway, I still a recipe for a sauce for some reason.

4 tblsp shoyu
2 tblsp ketchup
2 tblsp worchestershire
2 teasp sugar
2 teasp mirin

Combine everything except pepper in a saucepan and bring just to a
boil. Remove from heat and add pepper or togarashi to taste.

My sister's friend also liked to serve it any of the following: spaghetti sauce, cheese sauce, mayonaise and hoisin sauce, and what she called mexican sauce, more like ketchup with red peppers.