PDA

View Full Version : Hanpuku-geiko (repetitive training)

Walt. V Kopitov
21st March 2002, 13:43
I had a chance to train last night with Shihan Tung in Daitoryu Aikijujutsu Bokuyokan at http://bokuyokan.netfirms.com/. It was a postive experience, but my question is how many reps of a technique do you have a chance practice. We did 2 reps in front of Shihan Tung and then the next pair would be up. When everyone was done then he would demonstrate the next technique. Needless to say it is difficult to practice and understand with such a minimal exposure to the techniques. Is this type of teaching style the norm?

Walt

Arman
21st March 2002, 14:28
I certainly can't speak for other groups, but during my time training at the Shimbukan with Kondo Sensei, during regular classes, they practiced one, at most two, kata a night.

Sincerely,
Arman Partamian
Daito-ryu Study Group
Maryland

Nuutti Kotivuori
24th March 2002, 11:55
Originally posted by Walt. V Kopitov
I had a chance to train last night with Shihan Tung in Daitoryu Aikijujutsu Bokuyokan at http://bokuyokan.netfirms.com/. It was a postive experience, but my question is how many reps of a technique do you have a chance practice. We did 2 reps in front of Shihan Tung and then the next pair would be up. When everyone was done then he would demonstrate the next technique. Needless to say it is difficult to practice and understand with such a minimal exposure to the techniques. Is this type of teaching style the norm?
I do not study aikijujutsu personally, so may comments may be way off.

But in some places, I've heard that is is part of the training to be able to "think fast" - a technique is shown once and done a few times - and then the next one. So one needs to concentrate on what's happening and learns to pick up the important stuff from the technique in the least amount of time. Or something.

But personally - it sounds a bit weird to do reps in front of a teacher only - and then wait while other do it. Doing the reps with the teacher would be a different matter.

Nuutti Kotivuori

Desmond
1st April 2002, 01:10
Had you come to the Oregon seminar of Okamoto sensei you would have had a lot of hands on contact. The day starts out with Sensei demonstrating a few techs with the same theme on the one of his top students so everyone can see how the action works. Then everyone at the seminar gets their chance to grab onto Sensei for the ride. After that we all break up into groups and Sensei goes about the room observing and correcting the members of the groups and so our day goes. By the end of the day we might have done as few as 4 primary techs with variations or as many as 20. Okamoto Sensei is always there to give a word or correction or to have you grab him again and watch in slow motion.

If this seems like a plug for my next up coming seminar it is and it is'nt. The next open seminar in Oregon is projected to be in two years and I cap the attendance to insure we all get quality time with Sensei. But if you do get a chance go to one of his seminars you will enjoy.

Desmond Harpster