PDA

View Full Version : Why is juho wasa never practiced with a weapon?

johan_frendin
21st March 2002, 14:44
Hello!

In many traditional martial arts like Aikido, Koryu Ju Jutsu, Eskrima soft techniques often is done both with weapons and without weapons. They often first practice a soft technique like Gyaku gote or jujigote without weapons and then try the same technique with a stick in their hand. Why is this never practiced in Shorinji Kempo?

Johan Frendin
Visby Shibu
Sweden

Adhiprana P.
26th March 2002, 16:45
Hello Johan Frendin,
In my opinion, we can practice some (or maybe all???) juho techniques using weapons (stick or even knife). For example, shita uke gyakute nage can be done against the opponent that has a knive in his hand instead of performing chudan tsuki.
It's important to make variations in doing the technique, so we can do it in all situations, and will make us easier to understand the "core" of it.
Does anybody has other opinion about this?

johan_frendin
26th March 2002, 17:50
Hello Adhiprana!

I’m currently practicing in Visby Sweden and me and Visby shibu cho Stefan Jönsson sometimes practice juho wasa with a stick(like nyoi) or with a knife. Most of the kansetsu wasa are really great with a stick in the hand or to control a knife. I think its more logic to practice many juho wasa techniques with a stick or a knife than without. It will also increase the overall knowledge of the juho wasa.

Sometimes you can read about juho wasa as the traditional techniques of Shorinji Kempo. But exactly the same techniques are used as super efficient defense techniques in Filipino martial arts and weapon defense classes all over the world. Shorinji Kempo have superb quality techniques but sometimes uses them in a strange way in my opinion.

Should we not encourage hombu to teach more weapon techniques?

Johan Frendin

luar
27th March 2002, 01:32
Gashho:

We once practiced defending against knife thrusts using Shita-Uke (Jun) Geri. We also practice defense against knife slashes using Harai-Uke and Uwa-Uke. Ultimately we would use these basic techniques as setups for things like Gyaku Gote and others.

Ciao

Onno
30th March 2002, 00:01
Gassho __||__

Hello,
I remember once in Tokyo that we learned adaptaions of some nage techniques when faced with a weapon like a baseball bat. Also, my Sensei there also taught special classes for the Japanese police wich would include weapons.
When I first read your question I thought you were refering to the defender having a weapon such as a shakujo. I have practiced a little shakujo but I have seen very interesting nage and even ude juji gatame with a shakujo.

Kesshu

Onno Kok
Alberta Shibu
Calgary Canada

johan_frendin
30th March 2002, 04:42
Gassho.

The reason why I started this thread was that I wanted to know if somebody out there practice regularly with shaku-jo, nyoi-den or defense against edged weapons defense. I have been practicing for 18 years and have never been taught shaku jo och nyoi den techniques until recently through Anders Sensei here in Sweden.

Now I started to explore this by myself by trying techniques with weapons in 3 various ways.
1. With a nyoi in my hand. Maki nuki, morote okuri gote, kiri kaeshi nuki, kiri gote, kiri kaeshi gote, morote maki gote, morote wa nuki, morote gyaku gote, and tsuki nuki are techniques that are great defenses when your partner tries to control your weaponhand.
2. To learn defence againsed edged weapons I try to do shita uke geri kote nage, uwa uke nage, oshi uke nage, hangetsu kubi nage, tembin nage, osae kannuki nage soto.
3. To learn how to control a partner with a weapon I also do shikake wasa like tsuri age dori, okuri tembin dori, kannuki soto tembin

When you study these techniques you need to do small modifications that surely will increase your technical knowledge about juho wasa.

"All you who seek the way
Please,
Do not waste this moment now"

Johan Frendin
Visby Sweden