PDA

View Full Version : Daily Thought

mushinmaster
28th March 2002, 22:45
The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war.

old chinese proverb

Shitoryu Dude
28th March 2002, 22:56
"May you live in interesting times" - Excellent Chinese curse.

Though I like my brother's quote the best: "F*** off and die before I f*** you over and kill you"

:beer:

mushinmaster
29th March 2002, 03:22
I don't know whether
I was then a man dreaming
I was a butterfly, or whether
I am now a butterfly, dreaming
I am a man

Cheng-Tze

Markaso
29th March 2002, 15:03
Do is a way,
and so is life.
Both need a lot of practice

mushinmaster
29th March 2002, 18:55
Flow with whatever may happen
and let your mind be free: Stay centered
by accepting whatever you are doing.
This is the ultimate.

-Chuang-Tze

mushinmaster
29th March 2002, 18:57
For the uncontrolled there is no wisdom,
nor for the uncontrolled is there the power of
concentration; and for him without concentration
there is no peace. And for the unpeaceful,
how can there be happiness?

-Bhagavad Gita

mushinmaster
31st March 2002, 05:46
Some martial artists are very popular, real crowd pleasers, because they look good, have smooth techniques. But beware. They are like a wine that has been watered. A diluted wine is not a real wine, not a good wine, hardly the genuine article.

Some martial arts don't look so good, but you know that they have a kick, a tang, a genuine taste. They are like olives. The taste may be strong and bitter-sweet. The flavor lasts. You cultivate a taste for them. No one ever developed a taste for diluted wine.

Bruce Lee
The Tao of Jeet Kune Do

Ron Rompen
31st March 2002, 14:32
The sword is a weapon of killing.

....the art of the sword....
....is the art of killing....

No matter what fancy words you use,
Or what titles you put to it,
That is the only truth.

-author unknown-

mushinmaster
31st March 2002, 15:40
A warrior has only one objective - to destroy the enemy by whatever means necessary. If you do not understand this teaching then how can you ever hope to do what you are trying to accomplish? You must go into combat with the attitude of absolutly destoying the enemy. If you do not develop this attitude, what are you doing there in the first place? Combat is not fighting done for fun. Even in practice sessions you must have the attitude of going in for the kill.

Musahi Miyamoto
The Book of Five Rings

Ron Rompen
31st March 2002, 17:40
Hey Rocky....watch me pull a rabbit out of this hat.

:toast:

Shitoryu Dude
31st March 2002, 18:57
"You want to be good? You go like hell! Train hard! Bam! Bam! Bam! Other people give up and you stay there and go like hell! Not matter if you get hit, win, or lose - you work hard!"

Shihan Minakami

Markaso
31st March 2002, 22:48
One who hears only hears.
One who listens, learns.

Ron Rompen
1st April 2002, 03:15
Do, or do not
There is no try

(I know, but think about it for a minute, and how it DOES apply)

Markaso
1st April 2002, 05:40
Mr. Rompen

Good one:toast:

Daruma
1st April 2002, 06:33
i'll be back

Ok so I'm Joking

heres a real one

To put the world in order, we must first put the nation in order; we must put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must cultivate our personal life; and to cultivate our personal life, we must first set our hearts right. Confusius

Regards

kusanku
1st April 2002, 11:09
"surely, if we were boxers, we shoud have been learning to fight for many days before,and excercising oursleves in imitating all those blows and wards which we were intending to use in the hour of conflict;and in order that we might come as near to reality as possible,instead of cestuses we should put on boxing gloves, that the blows and wards[blocks and parries that is] might be practiced by us to our utmost power.And if there werre a lack of competitors,the ridicule of fools would not deter us from hanging up a lifeless image and practising at that.Or if we had no adversary at all,animate or inanimate, should we not venture in the dearht of antagonists to spar by ourselves?In what other manner could we even study the art of self-defence?"

Plato, The Laws,VIII, 830.

'The warrior dance is different from the peaceful one, and may rightly be called Pyrrhic;this imitates the modes of avoiding blows and missiles by by dropping or giving way,or springing aside,or rising up or falling down;also the opposite postures which are those of action,as, for example, the imitation of archery, and the hurling of javelins,and of all sorts of blows.And when the imitation is of brave bodies and souls, and the action is direct and muscular, giving for the most part a straight movement to the limbs of the body-that, I say, is the true sort-but the opposite is not right.'
ibid,VII, 815.

Hmmm."nothing new under the sun, indeed, Plato also says he apprioves of standup wrestling, but not of groundfighting, as it did not teach warriors to keep their feet in battle.

Their warrior dances such as the Pyrrhic, those of the Curetes, and those oif the dioschori practiced by the Spartans, could be done either unarmed, armed but unarmored, or heavily armed and armored.

Bustillo, A.
1st April 2002, 11:43
John V.

...Nothing short, simple and to the point..
You would come up with longest quote.

It's your nature I suppose.

mushinmaster
1st April 2002, 23:26
Always remeber, when you're not training someone, somewhere is, and when they meet you, they will beat you.

-unknown

mushinmaster
2nd April 2002, 18:51
Dedication - absolute dedication - is what keeps one ahead.

Bruce Lee

kenshorin
2nd April 2002, 20:06
"Karate-do may be referred to as the conflict within yourself, or a life-long marathon which can be won only through self-discipline, hard training, and your own creative efforts."

Shoshin Nagamine

mushinmaster
3rd April 2002, 23:48
There is no weapon more deadly than the will.

Bruce Lee

Shitoryu Dude
3rd April 2002, 23:53
Victory occurs first in the mind

Sifu Dave Day, Soy Bing Fo Kenpo Karate

Markaso
4th April 2002, 00:02
It's the thought that counts.

Sorry all ..... I just had to say it:)

Daruma
4th April 2002, 06:27
better to light one small candle, than to forever curse the darkness

Confusius

;)

Regards to all,

Shitoryu Dude
4th April 2002, 07:17
You're about 10 seconds away from an ass-whipping

Well,..........by me

kusanku
4th April 2002, 07:25
Originally posted by Bustillo, A.
John V.

...Nothing short, simple and to the point..
You would come up with longest quote.

It's your nature I suppose.

And, as is apparently yours, you attack ad hominem, to the man, and not to the point.

Hansokumake!

mushinmaster
4th April 2002, 13:22
Believe nothing, O monks, merely because you have been told it. Do not believe what your teachers tells you merely out of respect for the teacher. But whatsoever, after due examination and analysis, you find to be kind, conducive to the good, the benefit, the welfare of all beings - that doctrine believe and cling to, and take it as your guide.

Buddha

mushinmaster
5th April 2002, 18:06
Fighting against others is easy. Fighting against yourself is hard.

uknown

Goju Man
5th April 2002, 20:53
Do unto others before they do unto you.

mushinmaster
5th April 2002, 23:32
I LIKE IT!!!

Shitoryu Dude
6th April 2002, 00:01
This one is going to hurt

hector gomez
6th April 2002, 01:38
"PAIN IS JUST WEAKNESS LEAVING THE BODY"

HECTOR GOMEZ

mushinmaster
6th April 2002, 07:07
PAIN IS GOOD
extreme pain is extremly good.

dojo wall

Last one by Mr. Gomez? I've seen that one on the Marine t-shirts they give out to new requits:laugh:I can see the legal battle now...:D

Bustillo, A.
6th April 2002, 07:26
Folks ,

Please exceuse this little diversion, but I'd like to clarify one of my previous remarks.

John V,

You took it as an attack on you. Not so. Nowadays, for the most part, I ignore your messages. My post was more like a simple, and obvious, observation I made a long time ago. You like to write long, drawn out post. It is your nature. That is what makes you John V.

Even so... C'mon. Who hasn't noticed your habitual extraneous comments.

Now for quotes,

KISS
'...keep it simple stupid...'

Goju Man
6th April 2002, 14:13
Even so... C'mon. Who hasn't noticed your habitual extraneous comments.
Are you implying that your mouse finger is going numb?

If you have to resort to violence, you've already lost.

Regards,
Manny Salazar;)
it's all good

Shitoryu Dude
6th April 2002, 20:03
Revenge is it's own reward

Goju Man
6th April 2002, 20:07
Revenge, is a dish better served cold.

Goju Man
6th April 2002, 20:39
He who laughs last laughs best.

Markaso
7th April 2002, 03:30
Give someone a smile:) It's free!

Robin Williams

mushinmaster
7th April 2002, 07:27
Although it does not
mindfully keep gaurd,
In the small mountain fields
the scarecrow
does not stand in vain.

Haiku by Bukkoku, c. 17th Century

Markaso
7th April 2002, 08:58
One who shouts is always heard.
One who speaks softly is listened to.

mushinmaster
8th April 2002, 06:04
When written in Chinese the word crisis is composed of two characters. One represents danger and the other represents opportunity.
JOHN F. KENNEDY, speech (1959)

Shitoryu Dude
8th April 2002, 20:48
I would like to amend the quote about pain being fear that is leaving your body.

It should be

Pain is a kidney stone leaving your body

That said, now know there is absolutely nothing that anyone can do to me that will hurt as much as a little tiny lump of jagged calcium. Fear is meaningless now - I have met the enemy, and it is mighty in it's punyness.

mushinmaster
9th April 2002, 20:04
To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill.

Sun-Tzu

Goju Man
10th April 2002, 00:07
A country boy can survive, eh?
Kusanku should know a bunch of movie quotes, eh? :D

Goju Man
10th April 2002, 00:09
My name is Sue, how do you do? Now, you're gonna die!

Johnny Cash

mushinmaster
10th April 2002, 00:50
Originally posted by Sagasuhito

Midnight road
Just holding on to
My shredded, wet Gi
Only the sound of
Geta carries me home

Zenko Heshiki

Sagasuhito:
What is the sound of Geta?

I like that one.

mushinmaster
10th April 2002, 01:11
I love it. Its going up on my wall. Yeah - I think I remember Funakoshi talking about training in them in Karate-do: My Way of Life

Thanks

kusanku
10th April 2002, 09:48
Originally posted by Goju Man
A country boy can survive, eh?
Kusanku should know a bunch of movie quotes, eh? :D

Maybe we'll make a new movie, a documentary, and call it something like, modernist meet traditionalist in new sporting event created just for that purpose.

We'll call it Gladiators With Empty Hands, the Modern Armored Contest.

I'll see popcorn at the event, and lemonade, and watch you all go into shock when you feel Dawse Pain through that heavy armor gear that people don't get hurt wearing.

I had a reason for posting those quotes by Plato. There's something about fighting full contact in armor that separates the sportsmen from the martial artists.

I am a man of peace, myself, I but foretell of future things, things that may or may not come to be.I've no control over them myself,but I do understand you may be invited to attend if you should so wish.This wpould be a legitimate sporting event with rules I bet you might even like, all kinds of things allowed.Possibillities of injuries of serious type minimized by armor and mats and rules as I understand it.Should be right up you and your friends' allies.

'Only the Strong Survive'-good song, that.

mushinmaster
10th April 2002, 14:19
Control your emotion or it will control you.
- Chinese Adage

The angry man will defeat himself in battle as well as in life.
- Samurai Maxim

mushinmaster
10th April 2002, 14:48
Yeah! Great Book! I'm working my way through that one, and then I'll be moving on the The Tao of Jeet Kune Do. I think this is a great way to keep those lessons fresh in your mind.

Garbach
10th April 2002, 23:06
It is said that the civilized man seeks out good and intelligent company, so that by learned discourse, he may rise above the savage, and be closer to God. Personally, however, I like to start the day with a total dickhead to remind me that I'm best.
By: Edmund Blackadder:

Neil Yamamoto
10th April 2002, 23:24
If it were not for boredom, we would have nothing to relieve the monotony.

Markaso
10th April 2002, 23:29
"Say what you mean and mean what you say".

Not sure

Markaso
11th April 2002, 13:40
Not sure who said it first but my TKD Sensei always stressed this and I use it today in my training and my teaching.

"No waisted motion"

mushinmaster
11th April 2002, 15:17
Only after several years of training did I come to realize that the deepest purpose of the martial arts is to serve as a vehicle for personal spiritual development.
Joe Hyams Zen in the Martial Arts

mushinmaster
12th April 2002, 02:36
A dojo is a miniature cosmos where we make contact with ourselves - our fears, anxieties, reactions, and habits. It is an arena of confined conflict where we confront an opponent who is not an opponent but rather a partner engaged in helping us understand ourselves more fully.

mushinmaster
12th April 2002, 15:04
How do we explain the taste of sugar? Verbal descriptions do not give us the sensation. To know the taste, one must experience it. The philosophy of the arts is not meant to be mused over and intellectualized; it is meant to be experienced.

mushinmaster
12th April 2002, 15:08
Knowing others is wisdom, knowing yourself is Enlightenment.
Lao-Tzu

CEB
13th April 2002, 04:07
The quality of a man is determined by how he treats someone who can do nothing for him, or who can do nothing to him.

Malcom X

Tatsu
13th April 2002, 10:58
"Battle exists in the interval between the normal and abnormal-without knowing that the abnormal becomes normal, and the normal changes to the abnormal, how can victory be achieved?"

-Ancient saying From Gichin Funakoshi's "Karate Jutsu"
Author Unknown

mushinmaster
14th April 2002, 05:25
A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action.
Samurai Maxim

Goju Man
14th April 2002, 19:17
If a man can't stand, he can't fight

The karate kid part 3:saw:

Daruma
14th April 2002, 19:33
You cannot step twice into the same river, for other waters are always flowing in.

Heraclitus

Regards,

mushinmaster
14th April 2002, 22:41
Nothing is impossible to a willing mind.
Books of the Han Dynasty

Markaso
14th April 2002, 22:53
A path is just a decision in life one will make.
Many paths in life one will take.

unknown

Daruma
15th April 2002, 12:53
The essence of wisdom is having it, apply it; not having it, to confess your ignorance

Confucius

Kam
16th April 2002, 23:38
The teachings of the wise are a fountain of life; they will help you escape when your life is in danger.
(Proverbs 13:14)

Kamal Chai

Neil Yamamoto
16th April 2002, 23:49
"The fact that you are stupid has nothing to do with your performing the technique incorrectly."

- Taken from the Don Angier seminar last weekend when a student said "I can't do this yet, I must be stupid"

Markaso
17th April 2002, 01:58
In order for one to take a step in the right direction, one may have to take a step in the wrong direction first.

Unknown

Remodes
17th April 2002, 17:02
one thing all heroes find to be true
cool green grass
on a forgotten tomb

Basho

Very appropiate considering that almost all accomplishments of the past are forgotten by the future generation and it is even more necessary to live in the moment instead of considering the rewards of your actions.

Ryan Killimett
Rutgers University Budo Bujitsu Club

Shitoryu Dude
17th April 2002, 20:21
What's wrong with you? I already showed you how to do it once.

Shihan Minakami

He may have been smiling, but you had to wonder how serious he was.

Kam
18th April 2002, 04:36
Rare are they who prefer virtue to the pleasures of sex.
----Confucius

---Kamal Chai

Goju Man
20th April 2002, 17:16
Amen brother

Ken Allgeier
20th April 2002, 17:42

I have nothing against sports, they train the body and develop stamina and endurance.But the spirt of competition and power that presides over them is not good, it reflects a distorted vision of life. The root of the martial arts is not there... In the spirt of Zen and Budo everyday life becomes the contest. There must be awareness at every moment-getting up in the morning, working, eating, going to bed. That is the place for mastery of the self.

Taisen Deshimaru .

Bustillo, A.
20th April 2002, 22:04
Ken A.

Good point.
Even so, competitions have many benefits besides the physical aspects. And, many top martial artist gained valuable experience from competing. To name a few; Your former JKA men Kanazawa, Mikami, Enoeda and so on.

So, I'll quote a famous football coach.

"...Go, go, go. Fight, fight, fight!"
(Knute Rockne)

IchiRiKen1
22nd April 2002, 05:17
"I do not seek to know all the answers, but to simply understand the questions."

-- Kwai Chang Caine

Markaso
24th April 2002, 22:27
The answer is only as important as the question.

mushinmaster
6th May 2002, 18:32
Higher consciousness through harder contact.

Dog Brothers

Markaso
6th May 2002, 23:39
When in doubt use a hammer.:smash:

If you are still in doubt get a bigger hammer. :smash: :smash:

kenshorin
8th May 2002, 09:43
Fear leads to anger...
Anger leads to hate...
Hate leads to suffering...

Yoda

Markaso
13th May 2002, 14:28
"F*** em if they can't take a joke."

But more importantly.

Joke em if they can't take a f***!

Markaso
6th June 2002, 12:51
The hard is easy and the soft is hard.

Geoff
6th June 2002, 14:00
"If you can't change the system that makes war then there is one thing you best do, you best win them motherf***in' wars"

John DelVechio in "The 13th Valley" (Or something along those lines. It's not in front of me right now)

When push comes to shove there's one thing you must be able to do better then the next guy - push and shove.

Now if I could only do this stuff I'd be all set.

Geoff Wingard