PDA

View Full Version : Print: sword vs. spear

John Lindsey
31st July 2000, 05:12
<center>http://www.e-budo.com/pics/swordandspear.jpg</center>

Neil Yamamoto
31st July 2000, 05:29
Nice print John.

Looks like my two grandpas fighting over who gets the fishhead at new years dinner.

Oops, this isn't a budo fun post. :D

dirtyvicar
1st August 2000, 03:07
what's it say ? what's it say ?

Kamuii
1st August 2000, 07:44
Very nice indeed... Thanks John for letting us see this, it is very nice... :)

Arnold

Keith Frederick
1st August 2000, 09:02
Hi,

This is a nice image. What is the copyright situation with it? Is it in the public domain?

Thanks.

- Keith

John Lindsey
1st August 2000, 15:13
This print goes way back...Edo jidai I think. So, please feel free to use it or abuse it :). The reason I started the clipart forum is the share pictures with our members. It is my way of thanking them for being a part of our little community. If you use them on your site, I would appreciate a link to e-budo if you have a links page, but its not required.

The black and white pattern on the clothes of the swordsman looks a lot like the pattern you see in the 47 ronin prints, so maybe this is related to that.

Tetsutaka
1st August 2000, 16:06
Look at the belly on that guy with the spear. Everyone raise their hand if they've ever tried to assert that rotund budoka are inept...

...this one looks pretty "ept" to me...

...perhaps it is time to revisit some generalizations.

Best wishes,

Kamuii
21st August 2000, 22:47
I have been told that in some paintings when the warrior has a belly more or less like that one, it was due to demonstrating the hara area filled with ki. I could be wrong, but that is what I was told...

Best,

Arnold Vargas
Genbukan Satoichi Dojo
&
Tsunami-Ryu Bujutsu

Tetsutaka
21st August 2000, 23:09
Originally posted by KAMUII
I have been told that in some paintings when the warrior has a belly more or less like that one, it was due to demonstrating the hara area filled with ki.

You mean SAKI - right?

Kamuii
22nd August 2000, 05:01
No, I meant Ki, the thing is just a representation, simbolic or metaforic image. I guess they mean "Big belly, lot of Ki". :)

Arnold :)

[Edited by KAMUII on 08-21-2000 at 11:06 PM]

Ron Tisdale
22nd August 2000, 16:10
There are some interesting images of M. Ueshiba S. that show the same large belly. In taiji, there is some reference to masters having a "ki ball". Interesting stuff.

I've learned the hard way not to understimate "large" people; even short, rotund, stubby ones. They've tossed me just as easily as the more "athletic" types from time to time.
Ron Tisdale

G. Jetter
18th September 2000, 05:13
Mr. Lindsey is correct. This print is one from a series dedicated to the 47 Ronin. I believe its title is "Uramatsu Handayu Takanao Defends Against Koshio Denshiro".

I have others in this same series if anyone would be interested in seeing them. I would be more than happy to post them here; just let me know.

Thanks,

Azamat Oulbachev
27th March 2001, 08:32
nice photo

AAC
30th March 2001, 09:18
Humm...Sumo samurai? hahahha

MikeCallender
8th April 2001, 11:25
Just curious…do you have a translation of the kanji?

Also Mr Jetter
Please post your other prints. Thank you.

Mike Callender

hourousha
12th April 2001, 10:42
the print is by Ichimôsai (Utagawa) Yoshitora.
it's one page of the ''biographies of the 47 faithful samurai", worked out during the late 1840s.
here is another sample you can appreciate.

W.Bodiford
13th April 2001, 00:33
The signature on the first print clearly reads "Ichiyusai Kuniyoshi." This is the artist usually called Utagawa Kuniyoshi (1797-1861). I cannot read the writing on the second print, but if it is "Ichimosai Yoshitora," then the two prints are not by the same artists.

Nathan Scott
13th April 2001, 01:18
Hey guys,

If you are liking this stuff, keep an eye on:

http://www.wmhawley.com

The Hawley library is working on publishing a new translation of the 47 Ronin. Each translated page will be printed next to a copy of the original, which includes 47 pages of full color wood blocks like the one John posted.

The prints are also by Kuniyoshi, and feature a full page on each of the 47 Ronin. It should be really cool.

They have been working on it for a while, so I don't know when it will come out, but I'm sure it will be anounced.

http://www.wmhawley.com/images/47.jpg HEIGHT=100 WIDTH=135 ALIGN=CENTER

(the web page is still under construction, more or less)

hourousha
13th April 2001, 12:36
you are right, the two are different artists. i was confused by the presence in both the works of the ''kiri'' seal (the Kuniyoshi seal), but probably Yoshitora collaborated to the prints of the 47 ronin, as he was a
disciple of the Kuniyoshi school.
(http://www.kotenseki.com/shoukai/yoshitora.htm)

Originally posted by W.Bodiford
The signature on the first print clearly reads "Ichiyusai Kuniyoshi." This is the artist usually called Utagawa Kuniyoshi (1797-1861). I cannot read the writing on the second print, but if it is "Ichimosai Yoshitora," then the two prints are not by the same artists.

George Kohler
10th March 2003, 19:59
link fixed