PDA

View Full Version : Strength Training: Modern, Traditional or both

Ginko
31st March 2002, 17:37
Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on modern strength training methods vs. the tradition methods of Okinawa: chishi, nigirigame, sashi, etc. If you choose the traditional route, do you feel that it offers benefits unavailable from modern methods, or do you wish to follow and/or preserve methods that are in keeping with the heritage of various Asian arts?

In Budo,

Jay Setser
www.zentokukai.com

Goju Man
13th April 2002, 01:45
Welcome. Sagasuhito, my brother, you give me a bad rap!:D I have also done both. Lately though, I prefer cardio and bag work. Because of time constraints, I haven't been keeping up lately. The differences are, imo, that nigiri game and chishi are more martial specific as far as grip training, etc. Modern weight training is great, minus all the performance enhancers:eek: ! The thing is you'll get overall body strength and look real good, but is not martial specific, ie the innertube doing uchikomi. Take care. Any freind of Mikes' is a freind of ours.:toast:

Ginko
13th April 2002, 01:47
Mike,

Thanks for the reply. I am interested in how people mix the old with the new, and the benefits/limitations of each approach. I agree that both methods have their own "flavor".

Jay Setser

Goju Man
13th April 2002, 03:15
Actually, the Smithsonian is a waliking wall, a two legged nightmare just waiting for someone to fall asleep.:cool: Mike, you're not exactly chopped liver bro. But I'll tell you, the Scientist is one of the strongest pound for pound individuals I have ever trained with. And this accomplished without weights. This man likes the rope. In judo schools, there is a big rope you use to climb up. Great workout!

Bustillo, A.
13th April 2002, 11:08
My traditional background did not include the standard Okinawan strength training methods. Even so, I do think they are beneficial and I believe some of the drills are excellent. Combine it with modern weight training can only be a plus.

In order to increase overall body strength 'Power-Cleans' and Dead lifts are great.

www.SteadyTraining.com

Goju Man
13th April 2002, 14:11
You are right Antonio, power cleans are done by all the football players. Deadlifts are an awesome power exercise. I remember my cousin on the football team, they had a workout called bigger, stronger, faster. It consisted of bench press, squat, and deadlifts three times a week.

Ginko
13th April 2002, 14:36
Thanks for all of the feedback & suggestions! Currently, I use a combination of chishi, nigirigame, Captains of Crush grippers, a homemade wrist roller, the Bas Rutten Workout tape set, heavy bag, makiwara & a kettlebell. The kettlebell allows a wide range of exercises including presses, jerks, cleans & snatches. You can find it at www.dragondoor.com & the grippers can be found at www.ironmind.com .

Jay Setser

Ginko
13th April 2002, 16:33
Here's a link to a nice page on Hojo Undo:

http://www.shoryukan.com/Topics/Skills/hojoundo.html

Jay Setser

knotwell
13th April 2002, 18:52
I follow what would be considered a more modern approach to strength training.

2x/week of what would generally be termed a power-lifting workout

deadlifts
power cleans*
squats
bench press or inclines

3 sets each -- 8, 5, 3 repetitions at 60,80,95% of my 1RM

*I've just started with power cleans, but they seem to be worthwhile addition.

I also do some lower intensity ab, bicep, and lat work to round everything out.

I've recently begun working with a medicine ball and boxes** doing some plyometric work. I only have limited experience with this so far, but it has already helped me break thru a long plateau'd deadlift.

**every jujutsu club oughta have a former physical therapist currently working as a professional fitness trainer.

KTM
16th April 2002, 13:23
Modern weight training and cardio training are good. However, one must be diligent in pursuing complete range of motion for the the joints and muscles.

Bustillo, A.
16th April 2002, 14:36
To KTM (name ?)

Range of motion --ROM-- is important, but this thread is not about flexiblity.

TyroneTurner
16th April 2002, 15:19
When it comes to strength training, a lot of people get caught up on the latest piece of exercise equipment, but I say use what has worked since time immemorial - body weight exercises. A guy called "Scrapper" has excellent routines on his site at http://www.trainforstrength.com.

I hope this helps.

Tyrone Turner
Queens, New York
http://www.tyroneturner.com

Ginko
17th April 2002, 00:49
Tyrone,

I agree, Scrapper's workouts are first-rate....and tough!

Jay Setser