PDA

View Full Version : Making puffed rice?

J. A. Crippen
3rd April 2002, 12:01
Does anyone have any idea how to make puffed rice? I've seen it here and there, particularly in genmai cha. But I have no clue how to make it. I'd like to because I think it'd be a great addition to my furikake recipes, but I don't know how to go about it. I suspect there's a difference from making popcorn...

Peisho
3rd April 2002, 15:00
I prefer Japanese rice cakes(traditional kind) instead of puffed rice cakes. Puffed rice is made by a special machine that steams uncooked rice at a very low temperature until it starts popping into popcorn. It almost looks like little flower petals. You can probably buy this machine over the internet somewhere for a cheap price. Genmaicha rice is simply pan fried instead of steamed so that it can get the roasted flavor that steaming cant give. The trational kind of rice cakes are glutinous rice pounded down with a hammer into little cakes and cooked. Sesame seeds, ginger or soy sauce makes them very tasty. Some people make them smaller to use as dumpling and add them to soups. Very very good stuff:)

Don Cunningham
3rd April 2002, 21:57
I thought it is shot out of cannons...

[I may be dating myself, but that's what the old Quaker Oats commercial used to show how their puffed rice cereal was made.]

Couldn't resist the comment, but I have no idea. Heck, I burn Jello...

J. A. Crippen
4th April 2002, 03:01
No, no, no, it's Snap(R) Crackle(R) and Pop(R) that are shot out of cannons!

I will experiment with dry heating and with steaming to see if I can come up with anything... I have no desire to spend money on yet another kitchen gadget if I can do it myself. ^_^