PDA

View Full Version : Spirit and 100 man kumite

A J ANDAYA JR
5th April 2002, 13:25
Hello Everybody, I would like to propose to say that no matter what style of martial art you are in if you do not have that fundamental attribute of self-confidence, all your martial art training and related efforts will be for nothing.

You must have the guts to use your technique or the techniques of your arts should the need arise. Without this (Guts, backbone, or testicular fortitude as my "tukayo" (having the same name as me) Antonio Bustillo so eloquently puts it.) your style or art is nothing more than dynamic movements empty of meaning. It is dead.

I believe that a martial art must foster this in an individual, then you will have fully functioning martial artist with functional techniques.

The danger of some of the techniques involved in developing this "guts" or testicular fortitude as my "tukayo" says is that it may lead to certain form of overconfidence bordering on arrogance and pride (the wrong kind).

Some of the ways to foster this attribute is by entering tournaments as the "Speedman" says 'If you want to be 10 times the martial artist you hope to be, you MUST join/enter tournaments.'

Tournaments will give you that artificial environment to develop your courage and guts. Of course there are other ways like mental training techniques or other self defense drills that mimic confrontational situations but nothing else can get you closer than a tournament. The harder the contact the better. Look at boxers and muay thai fighters they have some of the toughest fighters around because they have daily hard contact. They "fight" (spar) often. That is why they have so very effective techniques. Oh don't forget they can take some very serious punishment when in an exchange of techniques scenario.

Generally this must be the way in a martial arts training program, of course we will not discount the others who enter the art for exercise, fun, or any other reason but we must never lose focus of the real intent of the martial arts.

Next that I would like to say is that I have heard of 100 man kumite where a martial artist is supposed to fight 100 men in succession in order to prove ones spirit, in taekwondo especially here in the Philippines when our candidates for black belt take their promotion test exam they are subjected to something that we call "Korean Massage" KM for short. It is a form to tag team sparring where the candidate fights a series of fights for a certain period of time and when his/her opponent tires that person can tag another black belt to fight the candidate, there is no set time limit, and you may fight as many as 20 to 30 guys in this system. And you are not fighting against push overs, you are fighting elite black belts who are under training in a special training regimen under the Grand Master and senior Olympians (I tell you they kick and hit real hard and fast). I have seen some of these candidates really get beaten pretty bad no matter how good they are, accidents even happen (serious injuries) from time to time. I have seen candidates even receive kicks while rolling on the ground like a soccer ball.

Early on it was a lot worst because we had 1 against 2 or 3 or 4, depending on your Dan level sparring, in this type of sparring no matter how good you are you always get beaten up but this was abandoned some years back because of the rising cases of "accidents" involved.

So going back to the 100 man kumite, for me, it seems that usually the participants maybe (MAYBE) there fighting but is in actuality (Could it be?) helping the candidate to finish the 100 man kumite if indeed it was ever done.

Some people claim to have proof/evidence (videos) of such an undertaking, but in my experience and according to what I have seen it seems almost impossible to survive or even finish such a feat especially if those who will participate are quality martial artists.

I am not putting anyone down, this is just my opinion. I maybe wrong then again I maybe more right than wrong.

So if any of you can share some insight on the above propositions, I will most humbly be thankful.

A J ANDAYA JR

Soulend
6th April 2002, 15:21
Hello Everybody, I would like to propose to say that no matter what style of martial art you are in if you do not have that fundamental attribute of self-confidence, all your martial art training and related efforts will be for nothing.

This is quite true. As to fighting 20, 30, or even a hundred guys it strikes me as a bit extreme. I think fighting 100 opponents over a period of 5 years would do more for your confidence then trying to fight twenty in a day. Surely your confidence in your skill must be pretty good to try to fight that many in the first place! I had a grand total of one competition bout as a young man, and 5 or 6 3 minte rounds wore me out quite enough, thank you. :)

Bustillo, A.
7th April 2002, 06:21
A. Andaya,

You like that line,' testicular fortitude'.

Mr. Robert R. description of kyokushin's multiple matches is correct; One minute rounds, opponents change and so on.

One thing though, true, it is one hell of a beating. However, that is not primary objective. To say that the test is not the true meaning of karate...This smacks of an 'in your face' type statement, and then you wonder Robert...
The objective is to test the 'spirit' of the fighter. In other words, it is to challenge the participant. It is a challenge, that is all.

Agree with the format or not, different instructors from different the martial arts choose to push -- and have the right to do so-- test and challenge their menbers as they see fit.

Judokas have a similiar format.

Futhermore, this was not an original idea of Mas Oyama. Reportedly, Oyama borrowed the idea of facing a chain of fighters from the swordsman Yamaoka Tesshu.

www.SteadyTraining.com

tamashi
8th April 2002, 02:42
For anyone who wants more information on the Kyokushin 100 Man Kumite
you may want to visit the following site:
http://www.safesci.unsw.edu.au/karate/Kumite.HTM

Best regards,

Paul Thoresen

fifthchamber
16th April 2002, 16:03
Hi all,
Fernando...This is a small point but Yamaoka Tesshu did not found the Hokushin Itto Ryu...He recieved Menkyo Kaiden in it and went on to found his own school called ' Itto Shoden Muto Ryu' or 'No-sword school' in the nineteenth century.
In the Muto Ryu he conducted training of a few different types to 'strengthen' the slacking spirit of the men he trained...This training included three types of practise over various time periods. The first consisted of a 1000 consecutive day practise period. On the last day the student engaged in a 200 battle contest/keiko against other students from the Dojo, one after another, the only break being for a quick lunch of soup. The second form was made up of 600 matches over a three day period. Again the swordsman faced one opponent after another continuously from morning to night. The third was a 7 day, 1,400 match contest following the same form as the others...
Actual accounts remain written by paticipants from the three day, six hundred match forms..The following were the memories of Yanagita Ganjiro.
"After the first day my head was full of lumps and my body covered with bruises, but I did not feel weak. On the second day I began to suffer. I thought I would have to give up halfway. I managed to continue to continue and near the end of the day I experienced 'selflessness'-I naturally blended with my opponent and moved in un-hindered freedom. Although my spirit was strong, my body was weak. My urine was dark red and I had no appetite. Nevertheless, I passed the final days contests wit a clear mind; I felt as if I was floating among the clouds."....
This excerpt is found in "The Sword of No-Sword - Life of the Master Warrior Tesshu" by John Stevens...Along with others, incredible depictions of the training both that Tesshu recieved and expected of his own students..An excellent book to read on the subjects of both training and the development of government during the start of the Meiji period and the overthrow of the Samurai regime at the time..
Abayo..:wave:

Bustillo, A.
16th April 2002, 21:23
Ben S.

Thanks, but we have the book by Stevens.

We mentioned Yamaoka Tesshu's 'seigans' to give an exmple from where Oyama may have borrowed the idea.