PDA

View Full Version : Which Martial Art would be best? Focus: shoulder, rotorcuff

velaki
6th April 2002, 23:42
Having no past history with anything other than an intro lesson in Karate many, many years ago, I would like to begin again in the martial arts. However, here's the catch: my right shoulder has permanent rotorcuff damage, and will pop out relatively easily. I cannot throw with it. I can "flick" a frisbee with it, but no overhand full-arm throws, nor any pressure on full extension of the type reaching-under-the-bed-to-find-something. Hence, it's rather limiting. But I am able to practice drumming, which helps tighten the socket.

My question is: what martial art could I perform, and what would you recommend? Karate, Bojutsu, Iaido, Kendo, Kyudo, etc...

Thanks!
Steve

Steve Williams
7th April 2002, 00:31
Definately no Judo ;)

But most of the hard styles (Karate etc..) should be OK, as long as the instructor is competent and aware of your situation.

Kendo would/ should be OK, Kyudo is not really a martial art (in most peoples sense of the word), but is supposed to be extremely good for the mind.

BTW welcome to e-budo :wave: Don't forget that it is a rule to sign posts with your full name.

velaki
7th April 2002, 00:42
Thank you very kindly! I'll take a look in my area for a school.

Thanks! :toast:

Steve Shoopak

Yojimbo558
7th April 2002, 21:16
Hi Steve,

Something that I think would help you further rehabilitate your shoulder would be Tai Chi. The movements are slow, and would help you stretch and strengthen the your shoulder.

While this style isn't fast, and flashy to watch...I know a few people who've studied it because it is very theraputic. One individual had a horrendous back injury and had suffered chronic pain for months. After starting Tai Chi, the pain eventually lessoned and eventually she moved on from managing it...to the pain leaving altogether.

Years later she now teaches Tai Chi herself...just a thought, but you might want to at least take a peek at this, as it is an art that you will not only be capable of doing now but for years to come.

Eric L. Bookin

Tatsu
7th April 2002, 23:50
There are specific rotator cuff exercises using thick rubber bands, that you could do to strengthen that hard to get to area. Talk to someone with Physical Therapy or Orthopedic training and they could help, or try and research it yourself. If the shoulder isn't irreparable, and it only subluxes (momentarily "pops out") rarely without pain then after rehab you could probably even do some of the grappling arts. If it was originally diagnosed as a rotator cuff tear vs. ligamentous laxity then an art like Tai Chi would be best. Good luck...