PDA

View Full Version : Ao Denko Kai Jujitsu

Mike Callaghan
7th April 2002, 18:14
Hello everyone,

First of let me say that I really anjoy this site and that it has provided me with much food for thought on the martial arts recently, which leads me to my question. I have been kickboxing for the past three years, but have decided to try and incorporate a more "complete" art into my training.

There is a Jujitsu club locally which teaches Ao Denko Kai style which contains a focus on Kyoshu techniques which I realise are an area of contention within the MA community. What I was wondering was outwith the pressure point focus, can anyone help me with information on the efficacy of the techniques of the system as a fighting art i.e. with weapons and ground-fighting as these are the areas which I need to suplement my current training in.

Thanks, Mike.

Greg Jennings
20th April 2002, 02:55
http://www.ao-denkou-kai.org/RickClark.html

"Professor Clark currently holds

8th Dan in Ryukyu Kempo
7th Dan in Ju-Jitsu
7th Dan in Tae-Kwon Do
5th Dan in Chinese Kempo
4th Dan in Judo
3rd Dan in Modern Arnis
1st Dan in Hapkido
"

Best,

Chris Li
20th April 2002, 03:55
Originally posted by Greg Jennings
http://www.ao-denkou-kai.org/RickClark.html

"Professor Clark currently holds

8th Dan in Ryukyu Kempo
7th Dan in Ju-Jitsu
7th Dan in Tae-Kwon Do
5th Dan in Chinese Kempo
4th Dan in Judo
3rd Dan in Modern Arnis
1st Dan in Hapkido
"

Best,

Rick Clark used to be on Aikido-L, as I recall the consensus of the folks there seemed to be that he (and his credentials) were legitimate (pretty much the same questions came up there too), but I have no personal knowledge of the person.

Best,

Chris

Greg Jennings
20th April 2002, 18:00
Originally posted by Chris Li

Rick Clark used to be on Aikido-L, as I recall the consensus of the folks there seemed to be that he (and his credentials) were legitimate (pretty much the same questions came up there too), but I have no personal knowledge of the person.

Must have been before I joined aikido-l in '98 or so. You're not mistaking this fellow for _Chuck_ Clark?

What is "legitimate"?

Best Regards,

MarkF
20th April 2002, 19:00
I doubt anyone is mistaking this guy for Chuck Clark. His "chair-jutsu" reminds me of a movie in which, during the happenings of the usual bar fight, I guy takes a stance and announces in a loud voice "KARATE!!" The other guy looks around, picks up a barstool and yells "CHAIR!"

I counted, I think three non-Japanese arts with dan ranks. If he was accepted, I won't question their knowledge of him, and depending on who grades you all are possible, even probable.

But that defense from the chair leaves me grabbing my wallet and my "family jewels."

But hey, I hope I'm wrong.

Mark

Chris Li
20th April 2002, 22:31
Originally posted by Greg Jennings

Must have been before I joined aikido-l in '98 or so. You're not mistaking this fellow for _Chuck_ Clark?

Not a chance. Anyway, it was some time before that.

What is "legitimate"?

Well, that's another thread :).

Best,

Chris

Greg Jennings
21st April 2002, 03:04
Originally posted by Chris Li
Not a chance.
I didn't think so, but we all suffer from a cerebral flatulation once in a while.

I keep hoping for an opportunity to train with Chuck Clark, but things have never worked out.

Best Regards,

Kyle-chalmers
21st November 2004, 15:48
My club is quite closely linked with proffesor clark so he holds alot of seminars for us on verious subjects. I am very sure he is legitimate and what he teaches seams sound.

gabro
23rd November 2004, 10:25
I have met Rick Clark at a few seminars in Norway, and I quite like him. He introduced me to a lot of pain ;), and showed me a few pressure points to set up throws. I am not convinced that pressure points are particularly useful as a main art, but some added pain or a whack to the neck with your arm as you are doing Koshi Guruma sure seems to help uke go flying :)

Cheers,

Mads