PDA

View Full Version : Budo jiten, any reliable ones?

O'Neill
9th April 2002, 23:20
Anyone know of any reliable, comprehensive budo jiten? Thanks.

J. A. Crippen
10th April 2002, 02:51
I've never heard of such a thing, but I'd love to see one. What'd be particularly useful would be to have an EDICT-format electronic budoujiten. Then it would integrate nicely into any other sort of application that uses EDICT-format dictionaries.

kabutoki
10th April 2002, 10:20
hi out there !
there are a few good budo jiten availiable. we have one at the universitz of hamburg, germany for example. i`m in japan right now but i`ll try to find out author and publ. and so on.
depending on what you are searching for there might be good jiten for each style or ryu. i`ve seen such things like aikido jiten and so on here in our local kinokuniya.
hope this might help a little
more info to come

karsten

O'Neill
11th April 2002, 05:21
The jiten that I am interested in would be centered on koryu terms for jujutsu and kenjutsu. Thanks.

Don Cunningham
11th April 2002, 14:43
To celebrate the 2000 Olympics, the Kodokan Judo Institute in Tokyo published the Kodokan New Japanese-English Dictionary of Judo.. It includes a lot of judo and jujutsu terminology as well as some common budo/bujutsu terms. There are separate Japanese and English sections with brief, but comprehensive definitions. There are lots of charts and additional materials in the appendixes, too.

For more information and instructions for ordering directly from the Kodokan: Kodokan New Japanese-English Dictionary of Judo (http://www.hint.co.jp/cgi-local/kshop.pl/page=book_fr.html)

kabutoki
18th April 2002, 09:56
back again !
i found some jiten and telling just from the name, they all might be what you are searching. sadly they are all in japanese-japanese. if this is not a problem, please check www.amazon.co.jp.?@otherwise my search won`t be any help to you. sorry

karsten

Mitya
20th April 2002, 05:37
Erin,
If you read Japanese, I can highly recommend the "Nihon Budo Jiten", edited by Sasama Yoshihiko and published by Kashiwa Shobo in Tokyo.
There's an incredible amount of information including koryu terms, obscure weapons and armor nomenclature and even some appendices giving all the official rules and regulations for modern-day competitive martial arts. It frequently quotes historical sources and many of the entries are supplemented with line drawings. It runs to about 800 pages.
The drawback is that it sells for 18,000 yen. Although for that, you get heavy-duty paper and a really solid binding. The book will last a lifetime, even with frequent use.

I hope I was of some help.

Mitya Santiago