PDA

View Full Version : Purple Gi

Justin May
12th April 2002, 10:48
Does anyone happen to know of a store/supplier with Purple-colored gi? I'm trying to find one as a gift, but no one seems to have them.

Justin May

Tami
12th April 2002, 13:54
Justin,

The women I've known who wore purple dogi bought white ones and dyed them.

Tami

kantsipr
12th April 2002, 15:22
Are you referring to indigo? Many online retailers carry them. For example, you could try http://www.swordstore.com .

If you're looking for lavender, I'm not sure anyone here can help you. :D

Gary Dolce
12th April 2002, 15:36
With apologies to Gelett Burgess:

I never saw a purple gi,
I never hope to spy one;
But I can tell you certainly,
I'd rather spy than buy one!

Tami,

So how did they accessorize them? A lot of belt colors just don't go with purple.:)

Justin May
12th April 2002, 18:17
With a Red Belt, actually. I am thinking that dyeing is the way to go, but I thought I would try to find one already out there. Thanks for the help,

Justin May

shinbushi
12th April 2002, 18:47
The kunoichi of the Bujinkan used to wear purple uniforms with red belts and red leg warmers (instead of kyahan as red don't exist. I tried to get purple uniforms for my woman blackbelt, but even century's custom design department would not do it. The following photo is a kyahan

http://www.ninjutsu.com/proofs/images/leggings.jpg

Aaron T. Fields
12th April 2002, 20:36
I know he must be joining Prince's (yes he is back to Prince and no longer the symbol and the artist formally known as prince... Damn record companies..) demo team ....just joshing.....

Tami
13th April 2002, 00:55
Gary,

Like Shinbushi said, women in the Bujinkan used to wear purple dogi with red belts. The story I heard is that Soke's wife overheard a disparaging remark about a female blackbelt so she decided to have all the women wear purple dogi with red belts, regardless of rank, so the guys wouldn't know who was what rank. Supposedly purple and red are her favorite colors. I don't know if it is truth or Bujinkan legend, but that was the story I've heard. I think there are a few dojos some places in the world that still use the purple/red combo for women, but now days most of us wear basic black and accessorize with the appropriate belt color like the guys. :D

Best regards,
Tami