PDA

View Full Version : Yanagi ryu kenjitsu

Dokuganryuu
2nd August 2000, 16:43
Are there any websites out there with detailed information about this form of kenjitsu? From what I have heard, it can be very lethal. I first heard of Angier Soke from Bugei's catalog.

Also, how do you rate his kenjitsu videos? I am thinking about picking them up, but I want to know other people's opinion about them. Thanks!

Yojimbo558
2nd August 2000, 22:21
Angelus,

I've only seen Don Angiers first sword tape ( didn't know others had come out...but I knew he inteded to market more ). I enjoyed it but you should know....

This tape differs from his hojujutsu tapes in that instead of getting right into to the use of the katana, this one serves largely in presenting the proper etiquette for wearing the katana.

This is the bulk of the tape...however he does include a small part dealing with some sword cuts and a little strategy. << of particular note was showing the safety factor as he illustrated several mistakes made by people rushing into sword training which could result in either cutting themselves >>.

He had announced intentions to make other sword tapes that would focus more on usage...but for the most part the first one centers on etiquette since it's the introductory in a series.

Eric Bookin

Richard Elias
3rd August 2000, 01:01
Angelus,

There no websites (that we know of) that go into great detail, though I think Bugei has an intro sort of the thing. There are actually three tapes out right now. The first, as Eric stated, is mostly history, costoms, and etiquette. The second is on basic foot work exercises, evasions, blocks, and strikes. The third is on multiple opponents. You can get them all through Bugei. We are currently working on number four which will be focusing on the short sword.

His original intention was to do a series of five tapes. I'm not quite sure what he's going to do for the fifth. It might be on various hand held weapons such as tessen and jutte, or possible on pole weapons, he hasn't decided yet. Who knows, he might do both.

We've gotten very positive responses from the videos, though some have said there was too much emphasis on etiquette on the first tape, but that is how it was intended. It is the first thing you learn in our school. Etiquette, from what I've read, was very very important to the bushi, it made the difference whether he made it through the day alive or not.

If anyone else has seen the videos I'd also like to hear your feedback. It would give us some idea what people are interested in.

If you do have any questions about the art, I would be happy to answer what I can. I'm no "master" but I am a student. If I don't know the answer, I might be able to get it for you.

Dokuganryuu
3rd August 2000, 01:06
Do you know how many dojos there are out there? I'm in Savannah, GA and I would like to learn what I could, if it was possible.

Also, can you give me some idea of the basic defenses and strikes? Thanks.

Richard Elias
3rd August 2000, 01:50
Angelus,

There is only one school. In long beach, taught by the headmaster.

Actually that's not entirely accurate. The is another school near San Diego, run by an old student of my teacher. But he hasn't trained at the hombu in decades, and I can't vouch for what he teaches there. Though I have met the instructer, I've never seen thier tachnique. That doesn't mean it's bad or he's unknowledgeable, I just don't know myself.

Basic defences are various and specific. There are evasions, direct blocks, deflections, redirections. Strikes are similar to those in other schools. I can't really get into all of the details, or give a really good idea in a word-only format. There's just too many details and specifics. Even the video's don't go into all of the details of each technique. If he had, the whole first tape would have been only on the specifics of the bow. My teacher is a total perfectionist. Every little movement in every technique must be done in a certain manner. we have spent months just working on how to turn over your own hand hand properly.

Not to sound like a salesman but getting the second tape is the best way to get an idea of what we do. Keep in mind though that they are not really intructional tapes per'se. You get an idea of what we're doing but, I'll reiterate, not all of the specifics are there.

We are , and do, use live blades. I do not suggest you do this if you don't have a instructor and a VERY solid grounding in the basics. It would be unwise and very dangerous.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

ghp
3rd August 2000, 07:28
Richard,

It would give us some idea what people are interested in.

Regarding any future videos, I'd be interested in seeing tessen waza.

Regards,
Guy

Arne Oster
3rd August 2000, 08:44
I would also like to see the Tessen waza.
Regards
Arne Oster

clayton
5th August 2000, 08:54
Richard,
" If anyone else has seen the videos I'd also like to hear your feedback. It would give us some idea what people are interested in."

the video's are the best ive seen yet, I think Don's attention to detail is whats left out of most of the trash on the market, i love the multiple shots from different angles (DVD whould help but the world can't be perfect), then the same detail to the feet.
As in what people are interested in, hell anything by Don gets my attention. cant wait for the wak video.
-clayton lawrence

Dokuganryuu
6th August 2000, 22:41
How does the ranking work in Yanagi Ryu? And what do you usually wear for training? Thanks!

Richard Elias
6th August 2000, 23:47
Angelus,

There is no ranking in Yanagi Ryu, only training.

It is family system. You didn't rank family members you just made sure they could uphold the family's honor. My teacher once added the kyu-dan system to conform to the public demand, but later abandoned it. He found that the students became overly concerned about thier rank/status compared to the other students, rather than focusing on the training.

In regular class we wear uwagi (jacket) kaku obi (traditional sash-type belt) and hakama (pleated trousers)
The patterns and colors of the different pieces vary.
At seminars we wear japanese formal clothes to represent the tradition of the bushi from which we come.

Dokuganryuu
8th August 2000, 04:23
What other armed/unarmed forms of combat do you study in Yanagi Ryu other than kenjitsu, hojojitsu, tessenjitsu, and juttejitsu? I'm not sure what the name of the unarmed form is... Thanks for you quick replies so far!

Richard Elias
8th August 2000, 11:25
In Shidare Yanagi Ryu we study;
AikiJujutsu
Iaijutsu
Kenjutsu
Jojutsu
Naginatajutsu
Tantojutsu
Tessenjutsu
Juttejutsu
Hojojutsu

Most all of these arts, save the hojojutsu, are interrelated. That is, they are based on the same set of principles and have the same basic body dynamics. Many of the techniques can be done with or without any of the weapons with which we practice, as well as be used against them. There is especially much correlation between the sword arts and empty-hand arts. Though, of course, each art takes advantage of the inherent qualities of each weapon, and there are certain techniques and variations that are peculiar to them.

Dokuganryuu
12th August 2000, 06:50
When do you use real swords other than tameshigiri? I'm just wondering since there is always a chance an accident may happen. Also, can women learn? My friends think the school sounds amazing. Thanks again!

Richard Elias
12th August 2000, 07:37
Angelus,

We use live blades at various stages of training. If you watch the videos, every time it looks like a real sword, instead of a wooden one, it is a real sword. At first of course we use wooden weapons, for learning evasions, blocks etc. But eventually we go to live blades. We don't always use them as it can be hard on the sword (having a sword polished is rather expensive). Please understand that the training is slow and progressive. You must have established complete confidence with the wooden weapons before training with a real one.
And yes accidents do happen.
A few months ago I got my elbow sliced open (only seven stitches) because I didn't shift my weight all to one leg. Sometimes we cut things very close, no punn intended.
I do shift all the way now though.

We also have a number of "training aids" you might find interesting. Here's just one.
Say for instance, during the application of a technique you are bending over and sticking your butt back, and your not supposed to. Very common mistake eh. A knife is placed at your lower back as you apply your technique. You don't "necessarily" get stabbed, but you'd be suprised how much more motivated you are to keep proper posture.

In regards to women training. Every student is judged on an individual basis. My teacher got alot of critisism in the past for saying the he didn't take female students. But I think it may have been taken out of context at the time. He has taken women in the past when is dojo was public. And even since then there has been a woman that he stated he would accept, and another that actually trained with us for a while. What he sees in a prospective student, I couldn't tell you. All of the students curently training are very different.
Right now I don't think he's accepting any new students. Though anybody can attend the seminars, the dojo is not open to the public.
Invitation only.
There is a waiting list, but the wait is two or more years. I myself waited four years to be accepted.

Sorry.

Yojimbo558
12th August 2000, 07:49
Hi Angellus,

If you have the opportunity you should by all means attend one of Don's seminars. As the previous person mentioned there's a rather long waiting list. While I'm not a member of his organization, the people that I've talked to who are averaged almost 3yrs on a waiting list before being able to join.

The fact that there are people out there willing to wait that long is a testemont as to this instructors quality.

What makes Don so enjoyable...in my opinion is that he regularly dissects and explains the techniques. He doesn't keep secrets, and answers what ever questions you might have. Along with revealing several tricks others use to pass off as demonstrations of their ki or chi.

Watch out for the message boards or flyers for when he'll be teaching in your area...and have fun!

Eric Bookin

Richard Elias
12th August 2000, 21:31
Angelus,

In regards to the live blade training, I forgot to mention that we have some long forms with the sword and iaijutsu short forms, that are practiced solo and with partners, where we also use live blades.

I should also add that while there is a waiting list to become a student, there is no waiting list to attend a seminar. Though he does do private seminars for some groups, those are invitation only.
And we have no organization. There is only Don, and his students.

[Edited by Richard Elias on 08-12-2000 at 03:38 PM]

Dokuganryuu
12th August 2000, 21:44
Heh, "wow" is all I can say. I like the idea of how the school is closed to the public, shows how Soke Angier wants a controlled environment with the form and not a bunch of people running around doing what he doesn't want. I guess I'll have to try to get onto that waiting list when I get the chance to get out there. Thanks a lot for your replies and information. Until I can join, I guess the videos will give me the best idea of what it looks like.