PDA

View Full Version : Advantages / Disadvantages of Organizations...

kenshorin
16th April 2002, 22:16
I saw a good thread for this forum developing in the Karate forum...
Karate Organizations (http://www.e-budo.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=11132)

I want to eventually open my own dojo, and wanted to analyze the benefits and disadvantages of being part of an organization. I have been on both sides of the fence with organizations, and have seen the good and the bad. Below is a short list of my advantages vs. disadvantages:

ADVANTAGES-
1) usually more opportunities for seminars / camps etc. due to the increased numbers of people

2) legal backing: they can help to show you met standards should lawsuit ever arise

3) certification of rank awarded to students

DISADVANTAGES-
1) usually pricey $$$$

2) politics / in-fighting / try to mandate excessive control over dojo

3) paperwork or other work required of the dojo while they make the $$$

Are there any other advantages / disadvantages anyone else has experienced? Also, without some sort of organization backing you up, how do you deal with things such as rank certification... I can see awarding students under you rank, but how do you obtain rank for yourself, if your school uses rank at all?

I want to see if it is cost effective to be part of an organization, and what things an organization should offer if it were to be worth the time and effort.