PDA

View Full Version : Man resisting arrest is shot dead by police

Ron Rompen
20th April 2002, 23:10
No offense Robert, but what do these posts have to do with MA?

Unless possibly someone here has asked for info on current events...in which case I withdraw the question.

Don't get me wrong, it doesn't bother me one way or another....just want to know the ground rules.

CEB
21st April 2002, 00:08
Originally posted by Ron Rompen
No offense Robert, but what do these posts have to do with MA?

Don't get me wrong, it doesn't bother me one way or another....just want to know the ground rules.

Nothing, that is why Robert posted it in the lounge. Off topic post are welcome in the member lounge. Doesn't have to be MA related. Have a Good day

Tetsutaka
21st April 2002, 00:44
Rompen,

Consider the possibility that there is a message that might "arc" through Robert's posts, and that there might be more than one rationale. Perhaps he wants to show the the view that Japanese have of violence (that it's other people's problem) is a bit stilted. Perhaps he is attempting that *even in Japan* folks need to know how to act in self defense - so propping up Japanese martial arts as an extension of tourism or a service for export is not entirely correct or appropriate. Perhaps he's shedding some light of reality on our presumptions about Japanese life. Making tea in the country and making cell phone calls in the city is not *all* that it's about, you know.

These are only my guesses, but I get a lot from his posts, and the information that he relays. Until someone holds a gun to your head and *forces* you to read them, I suggest you exercise your right to not read them.

:smash:

Shitoryu Dude
21st April 2002, 01:08
Actually, I was thinking something pretty close to that "Even in Japan" line of thinking. Here in the USA stupid people get popped all the time resisting arrest. Just recently in Seattle we had a couple guys in Seattle get blown away - one when he pulled a "sword" and charged the police who were after him, and another one a couple weeks ago pulled a pistol on an off duty cop and got shot for his trouble.

I always wonder what it is that makes some people think that they are going to start thumping on a cop and get away with it. Cops don't dink around. No place in the world have I ever heard that the cops are a bunch of creampuffs that are afraid to violate your rights. They carry guns (most places), clubs, truncheons, mace, and radios to call for back up. Giving a cop lip is usually a fast way to experience pain. They already have put up with every drunk, stoned, mouthy, trailer-trash jackass in the world. Dealing with some idiot who thinks they can push them around is just stress relief if they get to shove a nightstick up their nose.

:beer:

Kit LeBlanc
21st April 2002, 03:33
The guy wasn't shot for resisting arrest...he was shot for assaulting a police officer with a deadly weapon....a car.

It was a nice shot, too....

Ron Rompen
21st April 2002, 04:15
Apparantly some people mistook what I said earlier....let me clarify.

I do NOT object to these messages/newsbits.

I was simply querying if they were appropriate for a MA-oriented message board. CEB's response (that off-topic conversations were welcome in this specific part of the board) was the response that I wanted to hear.

Todd Prosser
21st April 2002, 08:32
Originally posted by Shitoryu Dude
just stress relief if they get to shove a nightstick up their nose.

:beer:

Hey C'mon Kit,

Can't you remember the last time you did that?!

Give me a break.....:rolleyes:

Gene Gabel
23rd April 2002, 07:01
Originally posted by Robert Rousselot
Man resisting arrest is shot dead by police

NIIGATA (Kyodo) A police officer shot a man dead early Saturday morning in Nagaoka, Niigata Prefecture, after the man apparently attempted to flee the scene of a traffic accident he had caused.
At around 3:40 a.m., police received a telephone report that a man had caused an accident on National Route 17 in the city and was attempting to get away, apparently by trying to stop trucks and take them over.

The police found the man near the site of the accident, they said. Officers attempted to question him but he resisted and smashed the windshield of a police car, they said.

One of the officers then fired two warning shots. The man got into another nearby police car, tried to start it and drive it at the officer, the police said.

The officer fired another shot at the man, who was sitting in the driver's seat at a distance of about 4 meters. The shot penetrated the windshield and hit the man in the throat, they said. The man was taken to a hospital but died shortly afterward.

The police said the man had a driver's license identifying him as a man in his 50s from Tokyo. They are trying to confirm his identity.

"Using a gun was legitimate but it was indeed unfortunate that the suspect died," said Katsuki Kono, the head of Nagaoka Police Station.

The Japan Times: April 21, 2002
(C) All rights reserved

Let me guess.... alcohol was involved......

GEne Gabel:toast:

7thSamurai
23rd April 2002, 07:18
My experiences with the police in Japan were somewhat different. It may have something to do with I was an MP on a Marine Corps base. We always had a difficult time getting them to do anything in cooperation with us, but doom on us if we didn't cooperate with them. I also had trouble with Marines and their dependents being detained until statements were made (in hiragana/katakana/kanji) and signed. It just seemed a bit underhanded (and against SOFA) to hold someone for an unreasonable amount of time in order to get a get a statement.

I have also always heard that the JP's carried a pistol with an empty chamber, a blank, and a live round. I never bothered to ask one for his pistol to check, but that always had me curious. Does anyone have any information about that?

Jeff Hamacher
23rd April 2002, 07:57
Originally posted by Robert Rousselot
In many of the shows the police officers are treated like dirt, both verbally as well as physically by drunks, "gangsta' " wanbees and so on. I am not sure whether it is just because the camera is rolling or what but they never arrest those people. In the US if you push a police officer that is probably the easiest way to find yourself in a LOT of trouble, but here (as far as I have seen from the shows) they don't do anything.
this is my overwhelming impression, too, at least to watch these shows. i find it especially frustrating to watch the segments on bousouzoku ("motorcycle gangs", for lack of a better term), since the cops come off as completely ineffective in the face of pimply 16-year-olds. about the only option left for the police here would be the discreet but highly questionable (not to mention undemocratic) use of illegal force, i.e. take a couple of suspects off the street, give them a right kicking, and let them spread the word back to their anklebiter friends that, "these cops mean business!" that oughtta put the fear o' god back in 'em.

Jim_Jude
23rd April 2002, 11:49
I didn't get that impression. Tho I only spent a very limited time there (less than a year), I got the impression that the JP let people get away with alot was for more of a social reason, especially when alcohol was involved. I heard stories about some pretty henious domestic violence that was brushed over by the police just because alcohol was involved. There is some leniency but it seemed to almost be to a fault.
That aside, the Japanese Police seem to be the only consistant "Keepers of the Peace" in the modernized countries.
My 2 bits....

Soulend
23rd April 2002, 13:54
I didn't get that impression when I was in Japan either. Hey, while I was there I heard that in order to be a police officer in Japan you had to hold a black belt in two martial arts..is this correct? It sounds like something a gaijin would make up..but figured I would ask..

I knew a JP but never asked him. Hell of a nice guy (dunno how 'nice' he was to suspects!). He did mention that rookies in his area make around $42,000/year though. Not much by Japanese standards in 1988, but sounded good to me!

Jeff Hamacher
24th April 2002, 01:27
David & Jim,

my impression given above (and i think Robert's as well) is based upon watching some of these "police reporting" shows; in reality, i wouldn't mess with a japanese cop and not expect to pay a serious price. as well, i've always received kind, courteous, and professional service from police in japan (a lost wallet, local patrols, etc.). but as Jim points out, i think that japanese police philosophy interferes sometimes with enforcing the law and protecting innocent people. it's frustrating to cough up tax dollars to fund a police force which doesn't always inspire my trust.

Originally posted by Soulend
Hey, while I was there I heard that in order to be a police officer in Japan you had to hold a black belt in two martial arts..is this correct?
my wife has told me as much. police here generally train in judo and kendo, and according to her they must attain shodan in both arts. Earl Hartman may be able to provide more detail on this; he spent some time training in kendo with a police force here. incidentally, i trained with two cops at my aikido dojo, and i suspect that both could hold their own on the street.