PDA

View Full Version : Are Shorinji Kempo still evolving as a martial art?

johan_frendin
22nd April 2002, 11:09
Gassho!

Shorinji Kempo Hombu are doing a great job constantly developing new methods to train our techniques like headgear, groinprotector, DO, etc.

But are Hombu still adding new techniques to the art of Shorinji Kempo or do the just conserve what our founder So Doshin left to us when he died in 1981?

Johan Frendin Visby Sweden

luar
22nd April 2002, 14:01
Gassho Johan,

This is a very good question. I really would love to see more ground techniques. I certainly believe this would help balance out the art. I am sure that there are many kenshi here who after reaching a certain level of proficiency, want to study another art such as Judo or Aikido.

colin linz
24th April 2002, 11:38
Over the years I have noticed that the techniques have changed, but I'm not sure they have added new techniques to the syllabus. When I first started there was not the same emphasis on balance that there is now, the techniques have evolved to make them safer to practice while still being effective.

It is possibly correct to view the syllabus as a primer and once reaching a certain level you have the resources to develop and adapt techniques of your own using the lessons gained through the study of the syllabus. This would be in line with the principle of Shu Ha Ri. I believe that this would be more realistic than having a set technique for every possible circumstance. Think how much adaptation you need for Randori, it quite often doesn't happen the way it should because of the variance in the way people move, but you can still have an effective technique by utilising the basic principles that the techniques are built on and adapting or changing when needed. This can’t happen until you have a very good grounding in the syllabus.

This can be seen in the different ways some of the sensei move and teach techniques. For them Shorinji Kempo has become an extension of themselves. They then teach their students, always going by the syllabus, but often they will share a technique that they have developed or modified to enhance the technique for their particular body. So in this way Shorinji Kempo grows in it,s technical understanding.

Cheers
Colin Linz