PDA

View Full Version : gifts

foxy ladies
3rd August 2000, 18:53
Does anyone that has been to Japan before have any ideas of what kind of presents we could take with us to give as gifts to our hosts. Maybe something they would find particularly interesting and typically English; preferably something light and that will easily fit in our rucksacks!?
Thanks guys, foxy ladiesxxxxx

Steve Williams
3rd August 2000, 22:02
Hi Foxy Ladies

(Does Adrian know you refer to yourselves as "foxy"??)

In my experience the best gifts are those that are typically English, no not the plastic telephone box or police helmet !
Tea always seems to go down well, Scottish shortbread also, sometimes I take whiskey but last time I was there I saw some in an "off licence" (Japanese style off licence) and it was not too much more expensive than here.
Whatever you get make sure it is of good quality (Harrods or Fortnum and Mason seem to be favoured).
For women silk scarves are always acceptable (well known name, maybe not Marks and Spencer)
I have been asked for Blue-tac next time I go but I probably just have strange friends!!

When you go to Hombu say hello to Kato-san for me, ask if he still remembers the words we taught him (I was there in April).
Also at Hombu you will have a translator called Takatoshi, he is one of my old students, buy him a drink for me.

If you want any more info you can mail me direct stevecw@freeuk.com

ABOVE ALL enjoy training.

3rd August 2000, 22:44
The best gift I've found are golf balls with a sports team or special logo. Being from Chicago, I took some souvenir golf balls with the Chicago Bulls (professional basketball) logo. Even though these were fairly inexpensive, the people I gave them to were very happy. I also brought some t-shirts and ball caps, but these were not as popular.

One very important point: Take a few minutes and wrap your gifts. Gift giving in Japan has few rules, but it is imperative for a gift to be wrapped, preferably in gift wrapping paper. Otherwise, it just doesn't have the importance or significance of a gift in Japanese culture. Think about how you would feel if someone gave you a birthday present which was not wrapped.

Anders Pettersson
11th August 2000, 11:04
Hi.
Another thing that I have used as gift when I've been in Japan is our branch breast badge. It is good as a small present when you meet several kenshi. You can't afford to bring a lot of nice presents to many people, besides the cost for it is also difficult to carry along.

But a breast badge is an small and easy thing to give to kenshi you've liked to practice with. And then they also will remember from what country and branch you belong to.

But you should bring some "real" presents (such as proposed by Steve) to the people taking care of you at hombu etc.
Give my best to Kato-san and the other WSKO staff.

Anders
<A href=”http://www.shorinji-kempo.org/">www.shorinji-kempo.org</A>

Steve Williams
11th August 2000, 21:39
Anders has a good point here.

It is quite heart warming to exchange your do-gi badge with a member of another dojo, and then return to that club to train many years later, and see your badge proudly displayed on the wall with badges of other international kenshi. (On Rakuto's wall Anders, yes the BSKF one is mine from '89).

As an aside, Sensei Peter had some BSKF key fobs and pin badges, perhaps he has more, these are great for exchanging with other kenshi (although not so good as a gift if you stay at someones house!!).

Have Fun

Yojimbo558
12th August 2000, 07:27
Hi there!

When my friend and I went to Japan in '95, we decided to give our host a gift that showed something about where we came from.

My friend whose from Alsaska, brought a very small sculpture made from a Wooly Mammoth bone, while I being from Monterey brought a beautiful picture of Pacific Grove ( over looking the bay ).

Our host was delighted with my friends gift, which signified the harsh elements of the land from which it came from, while my gift of the picture with the flowers in bloom ( overlooking the ocean ). Captured yet another window with which he could gaze at when remebering the students who had traveled so far to see him.

Have a great trip :)

Eric Bookin

Christian Curtis
12th August 2000, 20:24
I like Eric's idea. Something unique from your part of the world. I went to Japan last year and brought some small jars of Huckelberry Jam made here in the Northwest US. Kowashima sensei said that he and his wife really enjoyed it. Have a good trip!

Christian