PDA

View Full Version : EFT and Student Retention

Robert Wolfe
25th April 2002, 19:32
A frequent topic on this forum is retention of students. Regardless of whether a dojo is an informal club, a full-blown commercial operation, or something in between, every dojo has a threshold that is the minimum number of active students required to support the operation of the school, insure a vibrant training environment, and provide for future growth. Achieving and maintaining a level of enrollment on the plus side of the threshold is a function of effective advertising and thorough screening procedures, but recruiting efforts amount to naught if the students admitted to the dojo don't last.

There will always be some level of attrition, even if it's for purely "good" reasons such as relocations resulting from promotions, admissions to college or graduate school, increased family responsibilities, or military enlistments. The trick is to minimize the impact of "attrition for no particular reason": students dropping out because training is hard (we told them it would be, didn't we?), because there are other fun things to do (that's never going to change), or because martial arts turn out to be something other than what the student imagined (as if any of us are still training for the same reasons we had when we started). A lot of this kind of attrition happens in the first few months of training -- of the 32 students who joined our dojo in 2001, only nine are still active. In consequence of this attrition, our dojo has hovered too close to the threshold for comfort, for far too long.

One of my friends, whose dojo faced the same situation, signed on with a billing company and within a matter of months had tripled active enrollment. He'd taken the step in desperation but the results made him recommend the option very highly. The financial obligation carried by new students tended to carry them through the early months of training and, once past the period of acclimatization, most became dedicated members for whom any motivation other than a desire to train was superfluous.

I've never been comfortable with the idea of billing companies, primarily because of the student contracts that are often involved. I do think it appropriate that students make a commitment to the dojo, but a formal contract with all the concomitant legalese just doesn't seem to me in the spirit of things. Still, I couldn't argue with the fact my friend no longer had to worry about how to keep the doors open.

While I was considering all this, I read an article in Martial Arts Professional by dojo owners who had implemented collection of tuition by electronic funds transfer (EFT), without the involvement of a billing company. I did some research, found out that setting up EFT for membership fees is entirely practical, and was in the process of looking for a local bank with the requisite infrastructure when, serendipitously, one of the managers from Community Banks applied to join our dojo. Within a matter of months, all was in place.

First I polled the members of the dojo to gauge their reactions to EFT, and was surprised to find ready acceptance. It seems the health club industry has used EFT for years, it's becoming steadily more prevalent in the insurance industry, and many of our members already had EFT in place for one thing or another.

In consideration of the very few people expressing some reservation about EFT, I decided to implement three options for submission of membership fees: EFT (first choice, because it is easiest and least expensive for the dojo); automatic billing of a credit or debit card; or quarterly, over-the-counter payments. Additionally, new students are required to submit two month's fees up front, with the first month's fee prorated to whatever point in the month the student enrolls.

Interestingly, of the ten students admitted so far in 2002, all of whom are enrolled in EFT, nine are actively training (and the one we lost was for a "good" reason -- he was offered a huge promotion, one that required relocation).

From a dojo management standpoint, EFT is an exceptional tool. The application I use is web-based, so there were no software costs associated with implementation. My total expense includes a $10 per month fee for my checking account, a $15 fee charged when the monthly batch transaction is processed, and a $0.10 per item fee within the batch. Given the number of people on EFT at this point, my total monthly expense is less than $30. The time required to maintain the EFT accounts, in terms of paperwork and online time, is less than a half-hour per month. The bank will assess a penalty if insufficient funds are in a student's account to cover the transaction -- as would be the case for a bounced check -- and I would pass that penalty along if it is incurred.

The best news is, when the credit/debit card users are included, I am already very close to covering the dojo monthly operating expenses right up front, which is a huge relief and makes training a heck of a lot more fun.

We've only had EFT in place for a few months, but the apparent results are very encouraging, and while it may be too early to tell if EFT is really *the* answer to the problem of student retention I wanted to pass on the information as soon as possible in case it might be of use to you.

kenshorin
27th April 2002, 07:27
My dojo uses EFT's as well. They work out great, and actually much better than the old-fashioned way of doing it. I always felt a little "odd" and still do about bringing checks and handing them in at the dojo. This way, the paperwork gets done "in the background" so to speak and people can focus more on just coming in and training.

Also, you aren't reliant on the student remembering their payment. A few students going a month without paying because they were away or just plain forgot can wreak havoc with your finances, but this way, you can do the transfer the day its due and unless the amount bounces, you are good to go.

It also seems to be helping retention as well. Why that is, who knows.

Tetsutaka
27th April 2002, 11:26
Robert,

Good post. Thanks for taking the time to put it together. Could you share you web-based EFT resource with us? That sounds like it may be a winner.

Robert Wolfe
27th April 2002, 13:02
Houston --

The web-based application is built into the local bank's web site. I suspect any bank that offers EFT support will have something similar.

After rereading my original post, I realized I didn't mention why EFT helps retention without contracts. Students do have to sign an authorization for EFT, and they are provided details of how the system will work. The most important point is that written notice (an e-mail is fine) is required prior to the 20th of the month to stop or modify the EFT transactions for the following month.

In the worst case that still helps the dojo, a student quits but ends up submitting an extra month's tuition. Better is the student who wavers, but figures, "What the heck, I already paid for it -- I might as well go..." and ends up getting past the break-in period, starts having real fun, and stays.

-- Bob

Robert Wolfe
2nd May 2002, 13:18
EFT transactions for our second month of actual processing ran on May 1st, with 80% of the members of the dojo already on one of the new tuition options (EFT, credit/debit card, or quarterly checks).

Based on the current, monthly average cost to operate the dojo — we’re still “volunteer” instructors at this point — we also brought in 80% of the required funds, and that on the first day of the month. Prior to this new way of doing things, I was typically more than two-thirds of the way through the month before I knew the expenses would be covered.

With ten more people (new or current) added to the EFT rolls, average operating costs will be completely taken care of.

Rob Alvelais
2nd May 2002, 15:04
Boy Robert,

I tried to do the EFT thing with my dojo, bypassing the EFC's and other such companies. I got nothing but, blank stares from all of my local banks. Most branch managers couldn't figure out what the heck I was talking about, despite each of them belonging to a health club where their dues were taken from their checking account by EFT!

I tried Wells Fargo, Cal Fed, CommerceBank, Washington Mutual, Bank of America, you name it, I went there. Only to get a blank stare from a branch manager who had his or her dues to their health club taken out by EFT!!

Great that you were able to accomplish it.

What was your trick?

Rob

Robert Wolfe
2nd May 2002, 15:39
Rob —

That’s wild — the bank I’m using is a regional operation, not one of the really big boys by any means, and they have things set up so well the person in charge of managing the EFT transactions routinely gets on line / on the phone with new users and walks them through the entire process the first time.

I’m not sure what you should try next. Maybe call the central office of the bank, rather than talk to someone at a branch?

— Bob

Don Cunningham
2nd May 2002, 18:37
Robert,

Are you sure your recent improvements in student retention is due to the EFT or is it more likely due to other changes within your dojo and/or teaching style?

I don't use EFT or contracts and have not had any retention problems with our judo club. Most who make it past the first few weeks tend to stay the long term. Our drop out rate seems highest the first couple of classes. I think that's more likely due to some misunderstandings or preconceptions about judo practice. Some find they don't care for it and leave. Those who don't leave just seem to stay with it.

I know you've made some pretty drastic changes in your dojo, even changing the style and background. I would consider the latter more open and honest environment would not only attract better, more committed students, but would also tend to keep them longer.

Phil Farmer
15th May 2002, 21:37
I would like to say thanks for this thread. Retaining students is often a problems for all of use who train in traditional Japanese (and other styles)martial arts. I am Vice-President of our national organization and one of my tasks has been to work on recruiting and retention. I agree that there is a critical mass situation for how few students you can have and be viable, but I would also propose that there is an upper limit critical mass that exists as well. That is a problem I would love to have.

I think another problem for our organization is the time it takes to achieve Shodan. While I know that the belt and rank are not the point, the truth remains that Western students are most often motivated by these things due to our culture. In Yoseikan, the average time to Shodan is 5 years, with a required minimum of 1100 hours on the mat. It gets tough to get students to hang in there and convert from Western to Eastern ideas of success. I firmly believe in the way of Budo but am also a realist. One idea that has been tossed around on this thread is getting students to make a financial committment up front. I think this is important because it immediately invests the student in the art. None of our Yoseikan instructors do martial arts as a living, so income is not the problem. But I really believe this is also the downside, because our instructors dont "have to" have students to survive, they tend to not focus on the committment.

I would like to hear some thoughts about this last part with regard to committment to the art and doing it as a living. Again, I appreciate knowing that I am not "in the boat alone" with this problem.

gendzwil
15th May 2002, 22:01
Probably not possible for you, but one thing is to reduce the time to shodan. Kendo is about 2 years to shodan for the average student, so its not really a very significant rank. But even if it takes 5 years to get it, its still not that significant in the grand scheme of things. When people get their shodan after two years, all of a sudden this mystical "black belt" ain't so mystical - they're well aware of how they stack up and how much of a super-samurai they're not. So we can just get past all this rank agitation and get on with the training. YMMV.

kukisamuharu
13th June 2002, 01:54
I know it has been a while, but for those wondering about EFT the following link may be helpful. It was for us.

www.bizcashflow.com/consumercenter/index.htm

ErikH
13th June 2002, 04:40
Originally posted by gendzwil
Probably not possible for you, but one thing is to reduce the time to shodan. Kendo is about 2 years to shodan for the average student, so its not really a very significant rank. But even if it takes 5 years to get it, its still not that significant in the grand scheme of things. When people get their shodan after two years, all of a sudden this mystical "black belt" ain't so mystical - they're well aware of how they stack up and how much of a super-samurai they're not. So we can just get past all this rank agitation and get on with the training. YMMV.

But you know how this one goes.

"Rank? Bah! Means nothing to me! I'm in it for the art and my belt, well, it just holds up my pants." :cool:

10 minutes later.

"WHAT! YOU GOT YOUR SHODAN IN 2 YEARS? YOU WORTHLESS PIG OF DUNG SWALLOWING INCESTUOUS CAMEL ANCESTRY. YOUR MOTHER NOT ONLY WEARS COMBAT BOOTS BUT THEY NAMED A PAIR AFTER HER! I'M TAKING THIS STRAIGHT TO BAD BUDO!" :mst: