PDA

View Full Version : Reiho question

Dahlia
28th April 2002, 14:18
I've once again participated in a kendo seminar this week-end and this question has returned to my mind. Usually you're not supposed to walk in front of someone sitting in a dojo. I remember that there was a special sign you had to make, if you still have to walk past someone, but I guess I've forgotten, what it was exactly. Net research didn't help, because there are different versions on what you ought to do - stretch the left arm, the right arm, bow, etc...
Which is the right one, maybe someone can help me?

gendzwil
28th April 2002, 14:48
I've been told to hold your right hand in front of you, hand flat and palm facing left. Bow slightly as you pass the person. Usually you are carrying your shinai with your left hand.

fifthchamber
28th April 2002, 14:59
Hi Darina,
This is a point that is usually dependant more on the Dojo you are in but I have found that a large majority of Japanese Dojo favor the method of walking in front while extending the right hand (palm toward the other) and bowing slightly toward the other so that the person you are in front of can see that your 'attacking hand' is not going to be used against them...It is not always done (especially in the west) but the idea is the same as using the Right hand to shake hands with others...Essentially it is a way of showing them that you mean no harm and do not hide anything from them...(Unless you're left handed I guess...:smash: ).
Some (Iaido usually) Dojo also prefer you walking in front of others because it ensures that they can see you and judge the distances better so as to prevent any accidents...Walking behind could place you in more danger than in front while also NOT allowing the other to know what you are doing....
Hard to get down but VERY much worth the time as injuries are never nice and the extension of a hand is easy...
HTH..:toast: (Still working on a 'beer day' for England...Got my own but it just ain't the same...).
Abayo

Dahlia
28th April 2002, 15:54
Thank you both, it really did help :)

Ben, you're highly invited to visit myself on the next April 23rd and have a beer day here. German beer tastes better anyway :D :D :D

:toast: