PDA

View Full Version : Kamae - hand positioning and rationale

Benjamin Peters
30th April 2002, 23:53
Can anyone detail some theory on their Koryu school and it's hand positioning in relation to combat (why hands are posed in kamaethe way they are taught)?

Aaron T. Fields
1st May 2002, 01:25
My hands.............down my pants, anybody want to grapple? (I'm protecting what really counts....:laugh:)

Walker
1st May 2002, 01:38
So a typical time at Aaron’s dojo is Aaron playing with himself, Neil scratching his ass and Doug picking his nose. No one wants to attack that and we’re not even mentioning what Aaron’s guys are doing to Geoff. Then there’s Joe and that’s not pretty either.
:smilejapa

Walker
1st May 2002, 01:48
So as not to discourage Ben.
Personally, I prefer the natural stance, if I have to go stylized then the same as done in Daito ryu with the hands at the thighs. Don’t give the bastards anything to work with.

Richard Elias
1st May 2002, 19:16
"Aaron playing with himself, Neil scratching his ass and Doug picking his nose. No one wants to attack that"

That's "Aiki".

cc_ninja
2nd May 2002, 00:14
Keeping your thorns (hands, arms, feet) in front of you or between you & your oppenent is always a good idea. If you find yourself dropping your guard due to your posture being used against you, then you are not moving correctly or staying in your posture (Kamae) too long. Much like holding your sword in Seigon, so that any attack will result in your opponent lunging himself into your sword, you want your thorns to be able to react in a similar fashion.

Just my input,

Richard

Aaron T. Fields
2nd May 2002, 00:54
:laugh: Me Aiki..................uhhhh I'm not smart enough for aiki I prefer to choke. (Plus I have cauliflower ear.) ....:p But thanks for the thought