PDA

View Full Version : Budo Babies

John Lindsey
1st May 2002, 04:45
Anyone have any pics of themselves doing budo as a child? Or maybe some of your own kids?

Here is one of mine from around 1967. According to our family legend, my Father was a flight safety engineer at Nasa and was a friend of Gene Kranz, the mission control flight director made famous in the movie Apollo 13. Gene was teaching a Judo class at the Clear Lake Recreation Center and my Father signed me up for classes when I was 7 years old. I am the one on the left.

Tetsutaka
1st May 2002, 05:07
There's one of me, at 6 or 7 years, in a Tarzan type loin cloth and a plastic knife I bought at the zoo - swinging from a tree, no less. I think it's hidden away in a safe deposit box held by one of my siblings, for possible future ransom.

:eek:

KenpoKev
1st May 2002, 07:20
Oh boy, an opportunity to brag on my kids! I'm very pleased my lads have shown some interest in my passion. My son decided he wanted to do a tournament after about a year of training, when he was 11. He won 1st in his kumite event and a 2nd in kata. Needless to say, I was very pleased, but really more about how it boosted his confidence. He's a pretty shy & reserved kid and the event did wonders for him.

John Lindsey
10th July 2003, 14:18
anymore budo babies here?

Prince Loeffler
11th July 2003, 04:25
Here;s one of my youngest lil samurai ! He is 3 and kicking it ! and BTW. His uniform size is 0000, that's right Quadruple Zero :p

Prince Loeffler
11th July 2003, 04:29
Here's another one of my 3 year old ready to take on anybody ! :D Including me !

Striking Hand
11th July 2003, 04:30
I will need to get a pic of my little one copying me during TJQ practice.

Cheers.

Soulend
7th August 2003, 22:06
I had a pic of me as a yellow belt, circa '80 or '81, but I can't find it. So here is my son and daughter after their most recent test with their sensei.

http://www.geocities.com/warriorcreed/kids.txt

Paul Kerr
8th August 2003, 00:06
Lovely pics folks!

As I write my wife and I are waiting for the birth of our firstborn. She was due last Monday (July 28th), and now we're well into waiting. Somewhat explains my more active presence here this last few days - I took the week off thinking it would be my first week of fatherhood!

All being well, our daughter to be is going to be a mix of Celtic and Freisan blood - a truer recipe for stubborness I've yet to see :)

In a few years I'll have her first dojo pictures up!

AND, on that note - what sorts of decisions/considerations did the parents here make in regard to their kids' martial education? I'm curious to know.

Our plan has been to start her out with judo (just like daddy :) ), see if she likes it and go from there.... Though I'm an aikidoka myself I'm not entirely convinced as to the pedagogical correctness of what I've seen in some childrens' classes till now. Any experienced voices care to chime in on this one?

Soulend
8th August 2003, 01:14
My desire was to start them out in judo or perhaps Shotokan karate, but we are unfortunately limited in dojo choices around here. I came up in very traditionally run, strict dojo, so when I visited the MMA dojo which they now attend I was prepared to be completely unimpressed and have some fodder for the 'Baffling Budo' subforum.

You know what, their sensei are absolutely incredible teachers - possibly the best I've seen, at least among children. Very skilled, excited, and are there teaching six days a week, multiple classes a night. Never have I seen them unmotivated or not feel like teaching. In addition, there is always a 'topic of the month': respect, education, strangers, which reinforce what I teach them at home.

Anyway, rather than this be a commercial for them, I suggest keep an open mind, as your daughter's path may not be the same as your own...but of course that doesn't neccesarily mean it's not a good one.

Just 2 cents from a stubborn ol' traditionalist....

And by the way, CONGRATULATIONS on your upcoming daughter!!

BULLDOG
8th August 2003, 11:53
Hello,

What great PIC’s

You all have great examples of what the art’s are all about –and- in this world of more profit less quality martial arts it is refreshing and reinvigorating to see and read such great replies.

I too would like to post a story about my two beautiful daughters who understand their father’s passion. My two daughters, 8 and 12 years old are presently training with me. This is one of my greatest joys to see them enjoying the arts.

Our 12 year old has Juvenal Diabetes since she was 5 years old. She is doing great and her daily resolve to be stronger than her disease is a testimonial to the strength of the human spirit. A year ago she summed up what the martial arts are all about. A year ago, she entered a tournament and took first in Kata. As she ran to show me her medal, the smile that she had was evidence of the pride she had for her accomplishment of winning first place – I WAS WRONG – she stated, “Daddy I understand why you love Karate so much, because if you believe that you can and you do it – you can do anything,”

Out 8 year old has the difficult duty of being the sibling of a child with a chronic disease. Many times she has to place her self-second so that we can attend to the immediate health care needs of her sister. Having her involve in the martial arts allows her the time –or- gives us the opportunity to place her first. I cherish this time together.

Bottom line is this – I am very grateful for all that the Martial Arts have given to me.

Thank you

BULLDOG

Ed Barton