PDA

View Full Version : Fujiwara Kanefusa Iaito

Nicolas Caron
1st May 2002, 19:42
Hi everyone,
I'm planning on buying my first Iaito soon and have been looking at different places. I was wondernig if any of you has had any experience with the Fujiwara Kanefusa Iaito available from SDK supplies ( http://sdksupplies.netfirms.com/cat_iaito.htm ) and if so are they any good? The price range seems good (especially since I'm Canadian and prices are in Canadian dollars!), but I\m a little worried about buying one withouth hearing someone else's opinion.

Thanks in advance!

Jeremy Hulley
2nd May 2002, 00:29
I bought one at the beginning of the year. Beautiful silver fittings, feels great in my hand, great price. I have really enjoyed training with it. Very sharp tip, silly me cut my finger doing noto a few weeks ago. In short I would highly reccommend buying from Kim Taylor and SDK.

Nicolas Caron
2nd May 2002, 04:15
Thanks Mr. Hulley. That's the kind of answer I was hoping to hear :)

pgsmith
2nd May 2002, 17:31
Mr. Caron,
I have never personally used one, but I checked out a similar one with Mr. Taylor at last year's Orlando Tai Kai, and I have purchased other products from Mr. Taylor. I think that you can rest assured that it will be a quality product and a good deal for the price. Kim Taylor started selling these products in order to get quality equipment for his own students, and he is a really good guy to deal with. I have no problem with urging you to go for it, especially as you are in Canada so the price is very hard to beat. Let us know what you think of it when you get it.

Cheers,

Nicolas Caron
2nd May 2002, 20:06
Thanks a lot. I probably won't be getting it for at least a month, but I will keep you informed when I do get it.

stevemcgee99
3rd May 2002, 19:08
I've been surfing the web for a while looking at the variety of iaito available online. These from SDK seem to be top-notch. I have never seen one in person, however. The SDK site is good, but not a full-on retailer with flashy advertising. What i experienced looking into their options was that the same koshirae from other dealers was cheaper; customizing the iaito you want will cost less from Fujiwara. I believe the quality will be outstanding from him- his name is representing these iaito- I have not seen alot of makers taking responsibility for their work in this way online. Only with shinken. Most dealers have "dealer reputations", but not of their smiths. Worth considering, IMHO. I expect to purchase a top-notch (for my budget) iaito from SDK, possibly Nishijin, Tozando or Nosyu. That's the major dealers, SDK seems more affordable than the others. For me the real tie-breaker will be the opportunity to select fitting I really like, and reputation for craftsmanship (balance and fittings- I think the blades are all relatively the same, except with the cosmetics, so fitting the saya seems to be the place where quality might be compared.

Steve McGee