PDA

View Full Version : Japanese in webpages?

thomas.rolf
3rd May 2002, 09:19
This is for all you web-wizards, self-proclaimed or not, out there...

All questions relates to the fact that I want to incorporate japanese kanas and kanji in a HTML page.

In a HTML page, do you have to specify which encoding you want?
Can you specify characters by their unicode value or such?

Or do you simply enter the character you want and let the viewers take care of the other stuff?
I have no problem writing japanese in my texteditor/HTML editor so this is not the problem...

Anyone? :confused:

Update
Aaarrrrgh! And it does not get easier because I'm using these stupid swedish characters.... :cry:

thomas.rolf
3rd May 2002, 10:56
:o

I found an interesting thing on my work that helped me alot! It's called a book... ever heard of it? This one in particular was very helpful, it was about HTML.

Wow... even the interface is astounding!

Sorry for wasting space on e-budo!

:smilejapa

Chris Li
4th May 2002, 00:05
Originally posted by thomas.rolf
[B]This is for all you web-wizards, self-proclaimed or not, out there...

All questions relates to the fact that I want to incorporate japanese kanas and kanji in a HTML page.

In a HTML page, do you have to specify which encoding you want?
Can you specify characters by their unicode value or such?

Or do you simply enter the character you want and let the viewers take care of the other stuff?
I have no problem writing japanese in my texteditor/HTML editor so this is not the problem...

You don't actually have to do anything special, modern browsers should pick up the character set unless you specifically set it to a non-Japanese character set. However, the correct way (and it avoids many potential problems) is to specify the character set in a meta tag, something like:

meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=shift_jis"

Best,

Chris

Chi
8th May 2002, 13:57
Originally posted by Chris Li
You don't actually have to do anything special, modern browsers should pick up the character set unless you specifically set it to a non-Japanese character set.

Bear in mind that almost all off-the-shelf English language versions of Windows do _not_ come with a font capable of displaying Chinese/Japanese characters by default (meaning: you have to actually do something before it will work), so you will be catering to a drastically reduced target audience... worth keeping in mind.

Regards,

Chris.