PDA

View Full Version : A/C Joint Seperation

BudoTemplar
3rd May 2002, 21:58
Hello,

I have recently (3 weeks ago) had my left A/C Joint seperated (bad landing/throw).

I was wondering if anyone on the forum has had this experience and might give me some heads up on what to look for. Or any phys therapy info that would be helpful.

I take Shinto Yoshin Ryu JiuJitsu/Shuri Ryu Karate-Do, but have been away from active participation in class since the accident.

At the moment I have full mobility (all be it slowly) of the arm/shoulder, few and far between dull aches and a slight raise of the point of the shoulder.

Thanx
James Smith

Dale
6th May 2002, 02:04
G'day Mr Smith,
I am not a health care proffessional but I may be able to offer you some usefull advice.

First and foremost, if you haven't already see/consult a qualified health care proffessional

DO NOT DO ANYTHING WHICH CAUSES FURTHER PAIN OR DISCOMFORT TO THE JOINT!!!
If your shoulder dislocated, when you landed, then there is the risk of it dislocating again. If it separated but did not displace then the supporting structures will be stretched and weakened by this. Either way you need to attempt to strengthen the supporting structures of your shoulder. DO NOT DO THIS UNTIL YOU FEEL UP TO IT, it is no good pushing yourself, as you will further exacerbate the injury.
Practicing callisthenic type excercises, WITHOUT ANY WEIGHTS, to regain the full range of motion with control and without pain, as you described, will be helpfull. Again, although you are not using weights, DO NOT OVER DO IT! as your shoulder is fragile at the moment. Practice at Tai Chi pace rather than Rocky IV pace for a while until you are able to perform controlled movements without pain.

Other than that I feel that Physiotherapy or Acupuncture (particularly electro-acupuncture) perfomed by a Traditional Acupuncturist will prove helpfull. I have found that unless you are in serious need of pain relief then try to avoid painkillers as they allow you to do things with your injury that your body, through pain, is telling you it is not capable of doing yet.

Remember I am not a proffessional so please consult a physiotherapist, MD or health care proffessional with knowledge of such things before trying anything.
Hope this helps
Respectfully yours
Dale Elsdon