PDA

View Full Version : Aikido and Bujutsu

particleman151
6th May 2002, 17:03
Hello i posted in the aikido fourm but no one could come up with any answers so here i am in the aikkijutsu fourm.

Im currently in Aikido and i asked sensie what style of aikido we are taught he said Aikdio Bujutsu. Every one i talked to said that this name makes no sense, it is like saying you do jutsudo or something.

sensie says that this style of aikido is when O Sensie first created it, befor he became very religous. I guess the techniques where a little nasty and and not so "fluffy" as he might say(Aikido people dont take offense).

Just wondering if anyone has heard of this or could explain why sensie would say aikido bujutsu and not aikibujutsu for say.

Chris Li
6th May 2002, 22:51
Originally posted by particleman151
Just wondering if anyone has heard of this or could explain why sensie would say aikido bujutsu and not aikibujutsu for say.

Because he doesn't understand Japanese very well :) ?

Best,

Chris

particleman151
7th May 2002, 15:06
Chris you seem to be every where. How many style of martial arts to you train in?

By the way i think your right that my sensie must not understand japanese very good because he thinks bujutsu means the way of the warrior. The way of the warrior is bushido if im not mistaken.

Chris Li
7th May 2002, 22:42
Originally posted by particleman151
Chris you seem to be every where. How many style of martial arts to you train in?

Just one, really, with some dabbling and variations...

By the way i think your right that my sensie must not understand japanese very good because he thinks bujutsu means the way of the warrior. The way of the warrior is bushido if im not mistaken.

"Bujutsu" I would probably translate as "martial arts" for common usage. "Way of the warrior" is close enough for "bushido", but I think that the term often gets over used outside of Japan.

Best,

Chris

Ron Tisdale
8th May 2002, 13:47
Aikido used a few different names early on...I believe the term your instructor was looking for was aiki-budo. He probably added the bujutsu because he has the rather common misconception that that makes it "tougher". Oh well. He may be a great instructor...but I wouldn't take what he says as being all that accurate.

Just my two cents,

Ron Tisdale (suggest you read Stanley Pranin's works, available on the aikidojournal.com website)