PDA

View Full Version : Testing in the dojo

dan_norris
7th May 2002, 19:05
Gassho,

I was wondering how often testing is done at other Shorinji Kempo dojos. I study at the Shorinji Kempo Seattle Branch and I've heard we only test once yearly. I've also heard that if I get permission from my sensei, I can test at another school during the time that they are doing testing. The closest schools that I know are in Vancouver B.C., Canada, and Portland, Oregan. If there are any Kenshi who are members of those schools, I'd be interested in talking to them.

Kesshu, Gassho

luar
8th May 2002, 03:34
Gassho,

At the NYC branch, we test when we individually feel we are ready. I cannot speak for our branch master but I imagine that it is all part of the basic philosophy of improving oneself and knowing when you are ready to move on to the next level. Our branch maste is very good about this and I suspect it also has to do with not putting needless pressure on you.

dan_norris
8th May 2002, 18:59
Gassho,

Thanks for your reply Raul Rodriguez. I'm starting to get a better picture of how it works. Can you ask your sensei to test you when you feel ready or must you wait until he decides your ready to test?

Gary Dolce
8th May 2002, 22:45
Dan,

Gassho,

The decision of when to test is up to the individual Branch Master. Some may choose to give tests at certain times of the year, while others may decide to give them whenever they believe the student is ready. In either case, the Branch Master cannot give a test before the student has met certain minimum time and number of practice requirements set by Shorinji Kempo headquarters for each level.

In my own Branch, I give students tests when I think they are ready to take them (and, of course, after they have met the minimum time and number of practice requirments). In general, I think it is rude to pester your teacher about testing, but as Raul indicates, other teachers may take different approaches.

luar
8th May 2002, 23:48
Originally posted by dan_norris
Gassho,

Thanks for your reply Raul Rodriguez. I'm starting to get a better picture of how it works. Can you ask your sensei to test you when you feel ready or must you wait until he decides your ready to test?

Heh - Answering this question reminds me of when I wanted to take my San-Kyu test. It was during our Christmas party and I told him I wanted to take my test within the next two weeks. He told me why don't I wait til end of February and I kind of protested for waiting so long. He then told me that two months was not that far away. So I followed his advice because I trusted him, I trained very hard and I passed. I had to admit I enjoyed the training effort very much and yes I was not as ready as I thought I was.

So to answer your question, I felt it was a combination of both.

Mäki-Kuutti Vesa
11th May 2002, 17:39
Gassho

The traditional system of teaching Shorinji Kempo is based on four seasons of the year. The possibility to have tests should be arranged four times a year. Finland Shorinji Kempo Federation has national training sessions and gives the possibility to grading in these camps. The WSKO Curriculum gives us a very good program of time table for teachings for each grade.

About time of testing. There is the tradition of student teacher realtionship that the teacher should give the test when he feels the student is ready. Why is this good? I think because Shorinji Kempo kenshi should not lustlearn technical teachings of ken but also show development in spirit and attitude.

The time and practice amounts, limits of WSKO are proper for technical advance in Japan, but usually and specially in counties of different culture and spirit as in Europe and States, the development of students takes longer time. That is basically why the European office of WSKO has agreed that the grading of yonkyu is added to Shorinji Kempo adult grading system. Usually the practise times and amounts in Finland are double of what WSKO recommends. This quarantees the quality of kenshi having certain grade.

The quality of kenshi is very important because every kenshi isthe walking advertise of her/his style. We have a lot of styles that can be originally very fine, but have not kept their standards while spreding around the world, and others that have a good reputation of beeing serious budo and selfdefence. The worth of Shorinji Kempo
depends of the worth of each kenshi.

As teachers we are responsible of the progress of each kenshi in our branch, and at the same time of the good name of our Branch and Shorinji Kempo.

There are many people nowadays that want to live an easy life. They don't want to put effort on becoming better people. However the meaning of Kancho So Doshin, when he started Shorinji Kempo, was to give a way to people, how they can change them by their own acts to better people. Shorinji Kempo is not the easiest way to better life, but maybe for some people the only way.

The spirit of the S.K.Bracnh is essential. Is everybody treated equal not depending of the colour of the belt. The colour of the belt should tell how humble and determined the kenshi is in Shorinji Kempo, as well as it tells how long and what techniques learned.

In the test of sankyu the gakka includes the principles of right way of Budo and the ken zen ichiyo principle of individual development. The kenshi should not just be able to put something about these on paper, but the understanding of these principles should be seen in her/his everyday practise and above all life, then is she or he worthy of taking the test.

The role of Branch Master should be like a father and teacher leading each kenshi to progress of ken and zen. Branch Master is also responsible of the motivation of the kenshi to develop. There is no reason in not giving tests to those who are ready. It is not abenefit for the development of those individuals of the Branch or Shorinji Kempo as movement. Young and eager same as elder and active kenshi are the best quarantee that the style has a future.

Every kenshi should have the possibility to discuss about tests with Branch Master without fear. A good Branch Master is interrested about the thoughts and well beeing of his kenshi.

Be Brave in heart and soul and in your actions.

dan_norris
13th May 2002, 19:27
Gassho,

Wow. Thank you for all the informative threads. The explanations were great. I've got a much better understanding now. Vesa M?i-Kuutti's thread was especially interesting. Thank you for such a detailed explanation.

luar
14th May 2002, 02:51
Clarification....

I just reread the entire thread and realize I was not clear and appear to be contradicting myself.

Basically it is up to each individual kenshi to talk to his/her teacher about their readiness for the test. You work with him/her to set a date. Sometimes you take that test with others; sometimes alone. Overall, it's a partnership.

Cheers