PDA

View Full Version : Right or Wrong #4

Amphinon
8th May 2002, 18:49
Here's the situation:

Black Belt A's instructor passes away and he wants to take the school over. However, another higher ranked black belt is asked to be Sensei so the Black Belt leaves the school and starts his own.

Later, Black Belt A's students are competing and losing. He focuses on Black Belt B from the original school that was one of 3 different judges from 3 different schools. After verbally abusing Black Belt B, Black Belt A leaves.

The next week, Black Belt A send his students to challenge Black Belt B at Balck Belt B's school. The challenge is for $500 win or lose to a NHB match. Black Belt B declined and tells them they should leave Black Belt A's school.

Here's are the questions:
Is Black Belt B wrong for telling the students to leave?
Is Black Belt B wrong for not accepting the challenge when he could have had it stop in the ring?

Soulend
8th May 2002, 18:59
Dang it, two 'Right or Wrong #3's! Now I'm gettin confused..

Onmitsu
8th May 2002, 19:05
Without knowing the particular style of martial art this is a hard one to answer. What I do know is that at one point in time a 'Dojo Challenge' was a common thing. If teacher A challenged teacher B and Teacher A won then B would lose face and have to forfiet all of his students to A. Some here may be familiar with the famous 'dojo wars' of the 70's involving the infamous 'Counte dante'. This particular saga ended in the death of one of it's participants. Times have changed and most do battle in the courtroom these days.

Amphinon
8th May 2002, 19:09
This was a true story.
Only the names have been changed to protect, well, the names...

The style was Kyokushin. Black Belt B had 3 years of Brazilian Juijutsu and Black Belt A had no ground fighting experience.

Onmitsu
8th May 2002, 19:47
Dang it, two 'Right or Wrong #3's! Now I'm gettin confused..
Well, There's a "right or wrong #3A" and a "right or wrong #3B"
What's so confusing? :D

The style was Kyokushin. Black Belt B had 3 years of Brazilian Juijutsu and Black Belt A had no ground fighting experience.
Now the picture becomes clear. Politics VS actual skill mixed with tournament competition. I have seen some of the worst examples of corrupt politics in action at Tournaments. Karate master of School X will judge in favor of his own students and/or alliances while convieniantly overlooking points scored by other rival school members. Just for fun I videotaped some of these so-called tournaments and this practice was so blantant as to be comical. It would be funny if it weren't for the fact that these kids were giving it thier all and taking it very serious. You could see the disapointment in their faces when they knew they had won, everyone else knew they had won but because one of the judges was from a rival school the match gets called very lopsided. we're talking Canadian figure skating action here. It's no wonder Teacher A wanted to hand Teacher B his head.

Mike Williams
9th May 2002, 10:27
Without knowing any further details, I would tend to side with Black Belt B.

There may well be legitimate grievances over the school hand-over, and over the quality of judging at the tournament.
But verbal abuse and physical challenges are always inappropriate, IMO

Why didn't BB A issue the challenge himself? At least he had the decency to offer a cash prize, but what would it have solved? Once the students showed up at BB Bs dojo, well you can't blame him for suggesting they might like to train somewhere else.

Presumably if BB A had legitimate grievences over the quality of the tournament judging, he could have raised them with the tournament organising body? Or just withdrawn from the tournament in protest?

'Dojo storming' should be confined to Hollywood folklore, along with rapier duels and six-guns at high noon.

Cheers,

Mike

Amphinon
9th May 2002, 18:36
I didn't really state it was a tournament. In fact, it was a kickboxing event.

Black Belt A's students did lose, it was close only on one student. All three judges were trained and their scores were very equal.

Mike Williams
10th May 2002, 10:17
Well if BB A's students lost 'fair and square', that only makes his reaction even worse.

Cheers,

Mike