PDA

View Full Version : Chopsticks?

Dahlia
8th May 2002, 21:40
Minnasan,

I recenly recieved two pairs of Japanese (ie round) chopsticks as a gift. At first I wondered why someone should give me two pairs which look exactly the same, but then I found out that one of them was about 1/2 inch shorter then the other one, which is exactly as long as all other chopsticks that I own. Now I wonder why?
I can't imagine there are different chopstics for different meals in Japan, like in Europe (just imagine a Japanese sitting in front of 10 pairs of 'em, one for the sushi, one for the miso soup, one for the gaijin salad...). So why?

DJM
8th May 2002, 22:01
When I was in Japan recently I saw a number of different lengths of chopsticks, and - apart from the huge ones for cooking - the only difference was simply that they were for people with different sized hands..
Someone did tell me how to measure up for the correct size, but I can't recall right now how to do it.
Anyone else here know how?
Cheers,
David

Dahlia
9th May 2002, 12:10
Oh, thanks... This is sweet :)

Darina,

insists on getting a fork of an appropriate size for herself

Jeff Hamacher
15th May 2002, 03:21
Dahlia,

the set of chopsticks with one pair slightly shorter than the other is designed for a married couple (or maybe just two people who're "playing house"), and are called meoto-bashi ("husband and wife chopsticks"). the classic example of this type of household article is the meoto-jawan, or "wife and husband tea cups".

as for getting the right length of chopsticks, try this: hold your hand out, palm upwards, fingers extended straight and held together. place the chopsticks lengthwise (i.e. parallel to the fingers) on your palm with the bases lined up with the heel of your hand (i.e. just at the "dividing line" between the wrist and hand). the tips of the chopsticks should extend about two or three centimetres beyond the tip of your middle finger. of course, this will vary according to personal preference.

and japanese chopsticks are not always round; you can find a wide variety of styles. my favourites have a rather fat, square grip which tapers to a round point. HTH.