PDA

View Full Version : Editing [time limit]

Dahlia
9th May 2002, 13:19
Hello,

I've just posted something in the "Food&Drink" Section and made a simple mistake leaving to much space inbetween of paragraphs. When I noticed it and tried to corret it several minutes later, it wasn't possible any longer, because the set time limit was by one minute. Now I don't mind it this time, but generally I wonder if it's right to set the ban already after a minute. Often I only recognize mistakes when already posted, even though reading over several times. Now if you've written a longer text, it might take you over a minute to even read it. Maybe it would make more sense to extend the limit to about 15 minutes...

Onmitsu
9th May 2002, 18:48
I agree. I always proof read my posts but often find mistakes after posting. One minute is just not enough. I understand why this change was made though. It's a shame that one individual has to cause us all to suffer.

John Lindsey
9th May 2002, 18:50
Its set for 15 minutes now.

John Lindsey
9th May 2002, 19:31
That should be enough for all the Soke, Sifu, and Sensei that might have editing needs :).

Dahlia
9th May 2002, 20:32
Dooooomo arigatooooo gozaimashitaaaaaaaa! *bows* :smilejapa

Onmitsu
9th May 2002, 20:53
Domo:smilejapa

Brently Keen
10th May 2002, 01:24
Sorry John,

I still don't like it. Already I apparently exceeded the time limit, right while I was editing and rephrasing some of my comments for clarity. I don't want a time limit. It's just like in the UFC, time limits are bad.

If you want to prevent people from deleting their posts later, then set a limit for deleting posts, but we should be able to edit our own comments - and not have to ask permission if we go over 15 minutes each time we want to do so.

I'm also afraid you'll start getting excessive requests to edit posts, and that should also take up way too much of your time.

Brently Keen

Laotse
10th May 2002, 01:51
There is a worthy purpose to limiting the editing feature ... it has been abused in some forums.

If you really need a lot of time, I recommend that you compose your replies in Word or some other word processor. Review it, re-read it, edit it and -- yes -- spell-check it. Then when it is really, really ready, copy and paste it into the forum of choice.

Dahlia
10th May 2002, 15:40
Originally posted by Laotse
Review it, re-read it, edit it and -- yes -- spell-check it. Then when it is really, really ready, copy and paste it into the forum of choice.

It won't help much. I read and re-read my articles before giving them in, my editor checks and corrects them and in the end there is still this ennoying typo in the text... Often you just don't see it before it's too late. It seems to be a desease.:cry:

MarkF
10th May 2002, 16:55
OK, I'm not John,
but I use notepad or wordpad for composing longer posts to cut down on time. IOW, there is no time limit that way. Minimize the window and open a writing program (it doesn't have to be Word, either). If it is going to contain quotes and other editorial necessities, you can do them just after copying to the e-budo writing window. Make sure you use a spellchecker, etc., BEFORE you post it. You then have fifteen minutes to read over for additional errors (if you are a type A personality, that is, otherwise small errors in punctuations won't be that noticeable), but it that isn't enough time, well you will have to adjust to some kind of limit. You can go to one of the online spellchecks before you post here such as spellcheck[er].com or spellcheck[er].net. Correct it there and then post.

That should take care of the time constraints, but I do feel for you. It used to drive me crazy, but on my old ISP, I lost the connection to include the page I was writing and would have to write it again.

And that's the reason I found every conceivable manner of editing/proofreading what I write. My newer ISP doesn't cause me to lose my page when I lose a connection, and when it does, it rarely is when I'm posting.

That said, my errors are evident so nothing is perfect. Try to accept the average error. Most are forgiving of those typos.

Just some thoughts on the technique of posting here and not being stuck with a badly spelled, worded, punctuated post, and what to do about it.

Sorry for the length.

Mark

CIM-BA
16th December 2004, 19:44
Originally posted by Laotse
There is a worthy purpose to limiting the editing feature ... it has been abused in some forums.

What purpose? How can editing one's own comments equal abuse? I have never seen such a feature. There are boards that include "This post was edited by: name date/time" Isn't this a feature option?

Brian Owens
17th December 2004, 06:35
Originally posted by CIM-BA
What purpose? How can editing one's own comments equal abuse?There have been cases where someone has posted something, it has been commented on by others, then the original post has been edited and the offender has said "I never said that" -- things of that nature.

I, too, have been caught by the 15 minute limit, and some of my posts have contained errors that I caught later; but that's life on the Internet. I may feel foolish for my error, but life goes on.

Originally posted by CIM-BA
There are boards that include "This post was edited by: name date/time" Isn't this a feature option?

Yes, after a minute or so any editting will result in a message at the bottom of the post indicating an edit. See below for an example.

[Well, maybe more than a minute. I don't see anything yet.]
[There it is. It took five minutes.]

CIM-BA
17th December 2004, 19:59
Thank you for the clarification.

It's too bad there some feel there is a need for this, but it is what it is. Thanks again.