PDA

View Full Version : American Kenpo

RobNyc
11th May 2002, 15:53
American Kenpo is a combat martial arts system developed by Ed Parker.

That's all I know about American Kenpo being Parker system.

Anyone can give me something from their head or know anyone?

What is American Kenpo? what does it has? etc.

Shitoryu Dude
11th May 2002, 21:03
American Kenpo looks like a cross between Kung Fu and Japanese Karate. It emphasizes higher natural stances and utilizes a variety of armlocks and captures. It also has a great number of self-defense techniques that covers everything from getting punched and kicked to bear hugs, lapel grabs, being shoved, nelsons...you name it, somebody has come up with a technique in kenpo to deal with. To many people Kenpo is primarily a self-defense art.

Ed Parker taught that an encounter should go like this:

1) block or parry the attack
2) do something to distract your attacker that is extremely painfull
3) execute a technique that will end the fight (break something)
4) do something else that will be very painfull for added emphasis
5) if you can spare a moment, hit them again just because they made you mad

It is not a "friendly" style - Kenpo philosophy is very brutal and ruthless, and could quite honestly land you in prison if you went balls to the wall during a fight. Breaking arms at the elbow, eye gouges, kicking out the knees, blows to the neck and throat are taught at the beginning level and it gets better/worse from there on. Weapons taught are commonly arnis/escrima, nunchacko, bo staff, shuriken, and the knife.

:beer:

RobNyc
11th May 2002, 22:31
I like it then :D

Something like Kenpo is what is needed for self-defense.

I'm gonna go research on something maybe similar to Kenpo, called KungFu SanSoo, it is the 5 ancestors style or 5 family of southern china, and they use Karate GI & KungFu Uniform weird, huh.

Kung Fu San Soo Click Here (http://www.kungfusansoo.com)

RobNyc
10th June 2002, 00:26
But does American Kenpo has any Health aspects? :eek:

mushinmaster
10th June 2002, 00:49
DUDE - 6-2 134lbs! You must be rail thin!! Everyone says I need to eat and I'm 6 190lbs!

Health benefits? Like being in good shape? I've found that this is best accomplished outside of the dojo, unless your art encorporates bag work. From 6 till about 15-16 I did nothing really except play ball, do forms and basics, and I was in terrible shape. I started running, partaking in a bag workout, swimming, strength training, jumping rope, all ontop of karate training, and I'm in the best shape of my life!

RobNyc
10th June 2002, 01:03
Yes, I am 6'2 - 134 1/2 when I went on March, 19, 2002 to the doctor.

I am going tomorrow to take a physical test for some working papers, and I'll see what the doctor has to says. I am skinny but is perfect health, the doctor was amazed 2yrs ago when I went to take a physical exam. I play ball a lot, and I use to excercise a lot too.

Shitoryu Dude
11th June 2002, 22:25
I was considered skinny when I weighed in at 155 at just under 6'. For your height you should weigh at LEAST 190.

RobNyc
11th June 2002, 22:30
Yea too bad :(
I'm still young and haven't changed into a man, so I guess when I start changing I will start gaining more weight.

At least I know there's a lot of people that would like to have my weight, I'm not bad in health or sick, just that I have a very fast metabilism. My father use to be skinny too, none of my family is fat, they just normal fit.

6'2ft. tall and weigh 135lb, that is skinny oh well what can I do?
I have gone to the doctor they say I'm perfect that don't worry about the weight, that if i'll gain weight it will come, that just worry to keep my health stats how they are going *PERFECT*, I haven't gotten sick since I was in the 2nd grade now I'm in the 10th grade going to the 11th grade next september, what do you think?

I'm just not strong built-, with huge muscular arms, but I'm ripped almost gonna be ripped as Bruce Lee, he was skinny too, :)

:D

Any recommendations?

mushinmaster
12th June 2002, 02:51
I put on 26 lbs, mostly all muscle, in 6 months, drinking protein shakes and lifting...skinney guys can bulk up!:D

RobNyc
17th June 2002, 15:15
Yea when the time is right for them to start gaining weight.
I haven't stop growing yet or meaning really haven't started to grow how I'm suppose to, I'm only 6'2 and 16yrs old on March 19, 2002

RobNyc
19th June 2002, 15:44
There are some Kenpo/Kempo styles that I have seen that says Karate with them too.

Hank Irwin
23rd June 2002, 16:59
No such thingy as American Karate/Kung Fu/whatever. Teach what you were taught. MA's didn't get here to the public until the early 50's and it wasn't invented here. This is disgusting. I think the name thing is just for the sack of fame and fortune and a way for fakes to keep themselves out of having to explain where they learned, point in fact, they would be exposed as the real frauds they are if they had to prove lineage. And lineage IS important.

RobNyc
23rd June 2002, 18:06
That's true.

Senjojutsu
23rd June 2002, 20:38
Hello Hank,

On another thread I had replied about McDojos...
Regarding McDojo's (which 90% plus of American Kempo, American Kempo Karate, American Kempo and Kung Fu places are) I voted for their defining characteristics as:

1) Complete lack of historical lineage, Gichin who?
2) Rotating style changes - did you say Tibetan Grappling?
3) Rank, especially for adults, given out as carrots to keep them going - that is "cash flow" - yet nobody flunks a rank exam.

Now I will be the FIRST to admit these "American" places seem to get their extra share of whackos, weirdos and outright frauds.

At the same time one must be cognizant of snobbism and elitism.

If you think about it, perhaps the longest active (verifiable) lineage in the world today is that of the Pope in Rome. Just because the lineage is that long (~ 2,000 years), does that make all non-Catholic Christians less religious? Because their Protestant lineage only dates back to the Protestant Reformation?

It is similar to attitudes I have encountered - where I was told one must go to China to master "Northern Praying Mantis style" or whatever... Does Martial Arts expertise reside in the air, water or food of a country?

If an American has been studying Shotokan Karate for twenty years in a New England dojo, does he know Shotokan Karate?

Wise man say...
a "front snapping kick" hurts just as much as a "Mae Geri" when it hits your testicles.

Please note I think of myself as a traditionalist, but a progressive traditionalist.

RobNyc
24th June 2002, 03:59
Originally posted by Senjojutsu
Hello Hank,

On another thread I had replied about McDojos...
Regarding McDojo's (which 90% plus of American Kempo, American Kempo Karate, American Kempo and Kung Fu places are) I voted for their defining characteristics as:

1) Complete lack of historical lineage, Gichin who?
2) Rotating style changes - did you say Tibetan Grappling?
3) Rank, especially for adults, given out as carrots to keep them going - that is "cash flow" - yet nobody flunks a rank exam.

Now I will be the FIRST to admit these "American" places seem to get their extra share of whackos, weirdos and outright frauds.

At the same time one must be cognizant of snobbism and elitism.

If you think about it, perhaps the longest active (verifiable) lineage in the world today is that of the Pope in Rome. Just because the lineage is that long (~ 2,000 years), does that make all non-Catholic Christians less religious? Because their Protestant lineage only dates back to the Protestant Reformation?

It is similar to attitudes I have encountered - where I was told one must go to China to master "Northern Praying Mantis style" or whatever... Does Martial Arts expertise reside in the air, water or food of a country?

If an American has been studying Shotokan Karate for twenty years in a New England dojo, does he know Shotokan Karate?

Wise man say...
a "front snapping kick" hurts just as much as a "Mae Geri" when it hits your testicles.

Please note I think of myself as a traditionalist, but a progressive traditionalist.

Absolutely, right.:D

Shitoryu Dude
24th June 2002, 04:31
Adn here all this time I thought it was "snapping front kick" :confused:

Kenpo schools in America are way to fragmented & politicized. Not to mention a Grandmaster under every damn tree. It is a good art, but weeding out the flakes is damn difficult.l

RobNyc
24th June 2002, 06:07
Originally posted by Shitoryu Dude
Adn here all this time I thought it was "snapping front kick" :confused:

Kenpo schools in America are way to fragmented & politicized. Not to mention a Grandmaster under every damn tree. It is a good art, but weeding out the flakes is damn difficult.l

H*llz yeah:mad:

Hank Irwin
24th June 2002, 14:17
I am waiting to see these take off big time. Georgia is full of Take-my-Dough schools. It's unbelievable. I've had 3rd degree black belts from some of the local McRoo schools come to see me for weapons training. No real fighting skills, even though most are in pretty good shape, flexibility and such. But, the first time they are really hit, they crumble like stale cookies. Jubi & hojo undo(basic calistentics and basic techniques)are fun for me, not so for them, and I am right there doing them with them. The very first exercise after maksool(meditation) is knuckle stand. You are in push-up position on 2 first knuckles(closed fist) of both hands, one fist distance between hands. Drop shoulders and navel towards floor, feet together. Try to stay up for 1000 counts. Not as easy as it sounds, most can't go passed 500 counts. This is a very important exercise, conditioning for whole body, and after getting used to it apply zen thinking. Most if not all protest this exercise complaining of hand ailments and ugly knuckles, the McRoo folks that is. When I think of the problems associated with the McRoo schools the students are mostly at risk. Here is one way we can help rid ourselves of Kushi Bushis, I'll give a working example. A friend of mine's 8 yr. old boy is being picked on by a 13 yr. old who is a TaekwonDo student of 2 yrs. The bullys father won't talk or even come to the door when confronted about his sons behavior. I was asked for help in this matter. My friends sons training was to begin at 10 yrs. old but instead I have opted to start training him this summer because of the need. I also am going to the bullys teacher and see what he is made of. Hopefully it is the parent at fault, which most times is the case. I do like to visit other schools to see what they are offering. If I don't like what I see, I ask questions. I have gotten into a couple of encounters as a result, very much fun to watch a fake defend himself. I have been challenged by a few of these dumbasses right in front of their students. Sometimes the results aren't pretty, like being confronted by a bunch of the students in the parking lot afterwards. I know it sounds like a D-rated movie, but it's true. It's also very scary! I have fought many an American Kempo guy back in my comp. days. They are kinda pretty to watch in some cases, but when in a fight, doesn't look anything like real Kempo/Chaun-Fa.

mushinmaster
25th June 2002, 15:39
Originally posted by RobNyc
Yea when the time is right for them to start gaining weight.
I haven't stop growing yet or meaning really haven't started to grow how I'm suppose to, I'm only 6'2 and 16yrs old on March 19, 2002

HA mine's on the 18 dude!

I lifted and everything when I was 16, but I made like no gains at all. It wasn't until summer 11th going into 12th that I really started to make gains. During senior year I really bulked up, but it was unfunctional muscle mass, i. e. it was good only for bench press, squats....it did help my post game, since I was the smallest forward in my council:)

When I found out I was going into the military, I started doing a body-weight exercise program, and doing a lot of boxing/MT. I lost about 11lbs, yet I just went into the weight room last week, and I had improved drastically in every area!

RobNyc
26th June 2002, 15:10
Originally posted by mushinmaster

HA mine's on the 18 dude!

I lifted and everything when I was 16, but I made like no gains at all. It wasn't until summer 11th going into 12th that I really started to make gains. During senior year I really bulked up, but it was unfunctional muscle mass, i. e. it was good only for bench press, squats....it did help my post game, since I was the smallest forward in my council:)

When I found out I was going into the military, I started doing a body-weight exercise program, and doing a lot of boxing/MT. I lost about 11lbs, yet I just went into the weight room last week, and I had improved drastically in every area!

Cool.

Why you go to the Military?

mushinmaster
28th June 2002, 04:10
I'm going to West Point, so its good a lot of perks. I get paid to go to school, one of the best schools in the country, and I recieve military training and conditioning, automatic job when I graduate with great benefits, possibilty to earn a graduate degree at almost no cost to me, and, well with a degree from West Point, you're pretty much set:D.

Most of all I think it's my responsibility. I'm looking into counter-terrorism. I want to defend those who can't defend themselves, and stop the bastards who target innocent people.

I'm actually leaving in 3 days, so wish me luck!

RobNyc
28th June 2002, 06:16
Originally posted by mushinmaster
I'm going to West Point, so its good a lot of perks. I get paid to go to school, one of the best schools in the country, and I recieve military training and conditioning, automatic job when I graduate with great benefits, possibilty to earn a graduate degree at almost no cost to me, and, well with a degree from West Point, you're pretty much set:D.

Most of all I think it's my responsibility. I'm looking into counter-terrorism. I want to defend those who can't defend themselves, and stop the bastards who target innocent people.

I'm actually leaving in 3 days, so wish me luck!

Tell me about that :D :toast: