PDA

View Full Version : Technical video

Anders Pettersson
14th May 2002, 07:07
_||_
Gassho.

Some of you might now that Hombu have released a new technical video (earlier posted info in the monthly magazine Kaiho) and now also on the Shorinji Kempo Hombu website (http://www.shorinjikempo.or.jp/).

http://www.shorinjikempo.or.jp/20023kyu.jpg

It is the sankyu kamoku (3rd kyu curriculum) that is featured in this video. I just got it yesterday from Hombu and watched some parts of it (mainly due to lack of time I used the forward button a lot). It is about 47 minutes and shows each Hokei for sankyu from several direction and also gives some points on each techniqe. The video is only Japanese and according to Hombu so far only aimed for the Japanese kenshi. The instructors on the tape (Kawashima-sensei together with WSKO staff member Kosaka-sensei for goho, and for juho I do not know the name of the assistant) are wearing the Europen typ of muna-sho (breast badge) so I guess there will be some efforts towards outside of Japan a little later.

This video tape can only be purchased by kenshi, and the cost is just under 3.000 yen.

/Anders

Anders Pettersson
30th August 2002, 13:22
_||_
Gassho.

Just received the monthly magazine 'Kaiho Shorinjikempo' the other day and saw an ad for the second volume of this series of technical video (Shorinjikempo gijutsu kamoku). This volume is for 2nd kyu and the cost is the same as for the previous volume (2980 yen).

My Japanese is not very good but I think that I got the planned schedule for the release of the coming volumes from the Kaiho magazine as well.
1st kyu will be released in December and the shodan volume in next years April.

/Anders

Gary Dolce
31st August 2002, 20:40
Gassho,

Thanks Anders. I just recently got my copy of the 3-kyu video and believe it is a useful reference. I was especially pleased to see that they included variations on some of the techniques (e.g., omote and ura versions of uwa uke geri and uwa uke zuki). I look forward to seeing the rest of them.

It will be interesting to see the impact of the tapes in the long run. I have always noticed a fair amount of minor variation among teachers in the way they demonstrate basic hokei. I wonder what effect the tapes will have on this?

Gary

Anders Pettersson
3rd December 2002, 23:11
_||_
Gassho.
Here is a pic of the 1kyu video. This is available from Hombu since the 24th of November. I got my copy the other day, but haven't had time to look at it yet.

/Anders

George Hyde
4th December 2002, 11:57
Hi Anders,

Thanks for the info.

Any mention of the randori video/CDROM?

Later,

Anders Pettersson
4th December 2002, 12:09
Originally posted by George Hyde
Hi Anders,

Thanks for the info.

Any mention of the randori video/CDROM?

Later,
Gassho.

The only video that I have seen concerning randori is a video demonstrating how to use the new protectors (faceguard, double Do and double kinteki cup) and how to do the "Tachiai hyouka hou" (method of doing and evaluating randori). I think some kenshi living in Japan mentioned this in another thread.

This video is not possible to buy, as far as I understand it, but I did receive a copy when I was at Hombu in September.

However I have heard from Mizuno-sensei that he is involved in another video concerning randori, but I have not heard anything about release date etc. for this video.

/Anders

George Hyde
4th December 2002, 12:45
Originally posted by Anders Pettersson

Gassho.

This video is not possible to buy, as far as I understand it, but I did receive a copy when I was at Hombu in September.

Do you think I'll be able to get a copy when I go next March?? Who do I need to bribe?? :)

However I have heard from Mizuno-sensei that he is involved in another video concerning randori, but I have not heard anything about release date etc. for this video. [/B]

We were told it would be released this summer - judging by the weather outside it's a bit late. :(

Later,

Anders Pettersson
7th May 2003, 11:59
Gassho

Here is a small pic of the now released shodan video (sorry for the low quality of the pic but I haven't got my copy yet so the scan is from a very small picture in the Kaho magazine).

The cost for this is a little higher than the kyu videos. This one is 3980 and one nee to be a kenshi with minimum rank of 1st kyu to be able to buy it.

/Anders

PS. George, sorry for not replying on who to bribe, did you get it anyway?

Anders Pettersson
15th October 2003, 19:43
Here is a better pic of the cover for the Shodan video:

Anders Pettersson
15th October 2003, 19:46
Gassho.

If you haven't seen it already, the technical video are now (or rahter from November 2) available on DVD.
This is what is written on the WSKO homepage:
Shorinji Kempo techniques DVD covering 1st - 3rd Kyu curriculum to be released
Shorinji Kempo techniques videos each covering 3rd Kyu, 2nd Kyu, and 1st Kyu curriculum, will be all covered in the first volume of DVD series. In addition to the Japanese narrations for the video versions, English narrations are added, making each technique far more comprehensible. To be released on November 2nd, 8,000 yen, tax included, postage to be charged. Contact the WSKO Secretariat through your branch master to place your order from WSKO branches.

And here is a small pic:
http://wsko.econ-net.or.jp/images/top/95.jpg

/Anders

Sunndew
15th October 2003, 21:00
COOL! I will be looking into getting these.

David Dunn
15th October 2003, 21:05
Originally posted by Gary Dolce
I have always noticed a fair amount of minor variation among teachers in the way they demonstrate basic hokei. I wonder what effect the tapes will have on this?

I think that the English commentary will be invaluable for this Gary. I've seen a video recently where Arai Sensei was explaining the nuances of uchi uke zuki performed tai no sen or go no sen, followed by demonstrating oshi gote back down vs oshi gote front down. That's all I gleaned from it!

Will these DVDs be playable on European players Anders Sensei?

Tripitaka of AA
15th October 2003, 21:36
Which Region?

Of course, these days it is possible to get modifications (either a chipset change or a software patch) that make almost any DVD player into an "all-region" player. The DVD magazines have the details, and carry adverts for companies who will modify your DVD player. They also give details for the software patches, which sometimes require just a few key-combinations on your remote to de-activate the region-selection.

Then there are the DVDs which are made to be all-region playable.

On the other hand, I think you need a DVD player... I don't :(.

Gary Dolce
15th October 2003, 22:08
Which Region?

I asked WSKO this question concerning the randori DVD and was told it was playable in all regions. I assume the upcoming one will be the same.

As for my earlier question, I have been very pleased to see that variations are shown for a number of the techniques on all of the videos. For example, oshi gote is shown in the two versions David mentioned while keriten 3 is shown as both a defense against a straight kick and against mawashi geri. While these variations aren't new to me, I am hopeful that the fact that they are both shown will mitigate the "but the video shows it differently syndrome".

Of course I would love to see close up detail of hand positions in juho, but that is probably asking too much.

colin linz
15th October 2003, 22:18
Hi All,

There is a DVD on Randori training methods featuring Mizuno sensei and Aosaka sensei that is available. I got mine by ordering over the Internet through a supplier that deals only in books, videos and DVDs on budo, but I’m sure it would be available through Hombu. If this is of use I will post the company’s name later, I can’t remember it at the moment. The DVD does not carry any region coding.

Anders Pettersson
15th October 2003, 23:24
Originally posted by colin linz
Hi All,

There is a DVD on Randori training methods featuring Mizuno sensei and Aosaka sensei that is available. I got mine by ordering over the Internet through a supplier that deals only in books, videos and DVDs on budo, but I’m sure it would be available through Hombu. If this is of use I will post the company’s name later, I can’t remember it at the moment. The DVD does not carry any region coding.
Hi Colin.
That video was discussed in this thread (http://www.e-budo.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19156).
It is also available from WSKO Hombu here (http://wsko.econ-net.or.jp/sale/goods/video-dvd/5361.html).

/Anders

Anders Pettersson
29th October 2003, 11:04
Originally posted by David Dunn
Will these DVDs be playable on European players Anders Sensei?

THis is the info I had from WSKO Hombu:

The new DVD to be released on Nov. 2 is Region Free, NTSC.

I think most DVD's will handle NTSC even in Europe (where we use PAL, except from in France which I think use SECAM?)

Most branches should also have recieved information of the coming DVD ni this series. The "Ken Zen Ichi Nyo" series.
There have been som information about this earlier stating that Hombu will make a video of techniques up to third dan. Now they have written it out in black on white.

The DVD's will be called:

"Ken no Sho" (Chapter Ken) - 3kyu - 1 kyu kamoku
"Zen no Sho" (Chapter Zen) - shodan kamoku + some tanen kihon
"Ichi no Sho" (Chapter Ichi) - nidan kamoku
"Nyo no Sho" (Chapter Nyo) - sandan kamoku

/Anders

Tripitaka of AA
30th October 2003, 08:44
Perhaps this is the right place to ask, does one have to be an active member of Shorinji Kempo to order the merchandise, or can an old washed-up has-been whose name can be found on some old parchment somewhere still qualify.

Errrr, could I ever order something?

I'm not actually frothing at the mouth (... yet), but I am curious if I would be able to buy some books or DVDs, etc.

Perhaps I need to direct this question to the Secretary of BSKF.

Julien
30th October 2003, 12:39
David,

as far as I know, all the goods released by the WSKO are to be order through a registered branch. That is to say that the branchmaster must sign the order.

I can't tell you more about that...

Better qualified person please, let us know !

David Dunn
30th October 2003, 12:46
That's correct Julien. Only a Branchmaster can order the goods from Hombu. Those that are available on Amazon for example can of course be got by anyone. The tech vids are not generally available.

Tripitaka of AA
31st October 2003, 10:53
:wave: Thanks for the answer, I was just wondering :)

Anders Pettersson
14th December 2003, 12:23
Gassho.
I guess many people already have seen this on the WSKO Homepage (http://wsko.econ-net.or.jp), but I post this here anyway.

Shorinji Kempo techniques DVD (Region All, NTSC) covering 2nd Dan curriculum to be Released
The 3rd volume of the DVD series, Ichi no Sho, covering 2nd Dan techniques, will be released on January 20, 2004, 8,500 yen/copy, tax included, postage to be charged. Contact the WSKO Secretariat through your branch master to place your order from WSKO branches. Purchased/possesed by Kenshi of 1st Dan or above only.

Here is a pic: