PDA

View Full Version : Keikogi Backseams

cguzik
14th May 2002, 14:18
While shopping around for a new dogi for aikido practice (I normally wear judogi) I've noticed that some have backseams and some do not. Online stores frequently make the point of whether a particular dogi has a backseam or not.

None of my current dogi have backseams, so I cannot tell from experience whether it's a good thing or bad. My question is, what is the reason one might have a preference one way or the other? Do backseams get in the way during ukemi? Are they indicative of a higher (or lower) quality construction?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

gendzwil
15th May 2002, 18:56
Back seams generally indicate a higher quality keikogi. They fit better because with the back seam they are able to tailor the fit. No clue whether they interfere with ukemi or not, I'm just giving the kendo guy perspective.

Jeff Hamacher
18th May 2002, 02:30
Originally posted by cguzik
My question is, what is the reason one might have a preference one way or the other? Do backseams get in the way during ukemi? Are they indicative of a higher (or lower) quality construction?
the fit of a keikogi with backseam is definitely better. it's more expensive to produce, i believe, so the backseam is usually associated with higher quality keikogi. in two years (out of a total of four) doing aikido ukemi while wearing a backseamed keikogi didn't give me any noticeable problems; at least i didn't feel any distinct difference between the two constructions. although there may be better dogi for aikido, i really like Iwata's stuff. if you have the option to buy from them (their only location is the small backstreet shop north of Shinjuku, Tokyo, but you can mail order and they have a website), you may want to treat yourself to one of their products. HTH.