PDA

View Full Version : Inscription on blade

Soulend
15th May 2002, 00:55
I wonder if anyone might be able to tell me what the kanji means on this old Parker Cutlery pocket knife..been carrying it for years, but have no idea what it says..

Soulend
15th May 2002, 01:01
Whoops...when you preview first, it seems to drop the attachment..

Jeff Hamacher
15th May 2002, 03:38
Mr. Craik,

the inscription reads, "Noda Mitsuo saku". "Noda Mitsuo" is the name of the man who made the blade; the family name comes first, and although japanese given names are sometimes tough to grok, "Mitsuo" is the most likely reading of those characters. "saku" is a suffix roughly meaning "made by", which you'll see applied not only to blades but other works of art and so forth. HTH.

Soulend
15th May 2002, 10:40
Thanks Mr Hamacher!

Adam Young
15th May 2002, 14:20
japanese given names are sometimes tough to grok Wow, that is the first time I have heard someone who is NOT a former 60s hippie use the term "grok." 'Course, considering where you are, it is certainly apropos.

Later, stranger.

Kimpatsu
19th May 2002, 01:34
"Grok" seems to be making a comeback. I've read three different books on literature, writing, and history recently, all written during the late 1990s, and all use the word. Then again, all three authours could be aging 60s hippies... ;)

TomMarker
28th May 2002, 18:21
"grok" is sometimes used in computer fields as well. I've said it once or twice, and I'm only 25. Probably picked it up from an old Unix hippie :)

Jeff Hamacher
29th May 2002, 01:43
Originally posted by TomMarker
>> "grok" is sometimes used in computer fields as well. <<

both my parents are computer heads, so it's entirely possible i picked it up by dinner table conversation osmosis.:)