PDA

View Full Version : Intent

Benjamin Peters
16th May 2002, 06:22
Out of interest, within your Jujutsu school, is it common for people to put strength into resisting the technique you are applying on them?

[For instance, a person grabs your lapel and grips tightly and uses body weight and his own technique to purposefully hold your movement in place. If you do not perform the technique correctly you remain in the position you are in.]

Mike Williams
16th May 2002, 10:37
When learning new techniques, what generally happens in our club (and what I like to happen, but it depends on having a good Uke), is that at first uke offers no resistance.

This is so that you can work on the principles of the technique - getting the footwork and entry right, learning what you need to do to take their balance, and just generally sort out the mechanics.

Once that has hapened, uke starts to offer appropriate resistance (by appropriate, I mean trying to exploit weaknesses/openeingss in your technique - not just using muscle power to force their way out of locks that are already on, for instance). The level of resistance generally goes up with the grade, too - absolute beginners have enough trouble sorting out their techniques without having to cope with difficult ukes. Mostly, if there is a weakness in their technique, it is pointed out to them, rather than resisted.

I'm blue blet now (3rd kyu?), and I'm generally offered quite alot of resistance. But it really depends on who I'm teamed up with - some ukes are better than others.

Finally we also do randori (usually newaza, but occasionally stand -up). This of course is done 'all-out'.

I imagine that the above is farly typical, but I've never been to JJ clubs outside my style, so I'd be very interested to hear other perspectives.

Cheers,

Mike

fifthchamber
16th May 2002, 14:32
Hi all.
We are instructed that resistance is necessary to understand the need to perform certain 'preliminary' movements in the kata..These can range from an attack to Uke to cause them to let go or a body movement by Tori to release the initial lock.
The essential point in the training is that Uke should not resist as hard as possible but should aim to provide enough resistance to allow the techniques principles to be shown. Excess strength in holds can lead to both partners using more force than is really desirable in the kata and if new to the form the danger is there for injury through being 'overly strong' and using strength in the wrong way...This can lead to injuries at worst or aggression/anger between training partners at best...Neither is desirable.
Uke needs to provide just enough resistance for the Tori to 'have' to respond correctly in freeing himself. Too much leads to over work in the kata and too little really doesn't allow Tori to find out why the kata is used...The middle path is the best one. And less painful generally.
We are also told not too attack with full speed/strength/aggression in the early levels because the reaction to this can easily be more violent and the stronger you attack the more pain is 'allowed' to be used to restrain you...Although this may sound a bit excessive it allows both partners to see the reasons behind moves and train 'relatively' safely...While raising respect for each other and the techniques being practised.
Abayo;)